IGNORED

Flat left wrist and its position at impact

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

If you're talking about Key #3, then it doesn't need to be truly "flat" - it's more about when the shaft lines up with the lead arm (or the lead shoulder). It should happen at or just after impact.

Couple examples

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yes, Hogan got these terms incorrect. Here's what he meant:

Hogan's definition of supination: palmar flexion (combined with supination and ulnar deviation)

Hogan's definition of pronation: flipping. dorsiflexion (combined with supination and ulnar deviation)

Actual definitions of these terms:

Supination: rolling the forearms over to where the palm side faces up

Pronation: rolling the forearms over to where the palm side faces down (just imagine the arm in the above photo doing the opposite)

Palmar flexion: flexing the wrist so the palm side becomes closer to the underside of the forearm. To make the angle between the palm side of the hand and the underside of the forearm less. Also known as a bowed or arched wrist position in golf. Indicative of someone delofting or shutting the club.

Dorsiflexion: When the back of the hand becomes closer to the back of the forearm. To make the angle between the back (dorsum) of the hand and the hairy side of your forearm less. Also known as a cupped wrist position in golf. Indicative of someone adding loft to the club, or opening the club. Also the wrist position of someone who flips at impact, if such a wrist condition is maintained to that point.

Ulnar deviation: in golf this is when the wrists have uncocked

Radial deviation: this is "wrist cock" in golf.

We like to be as clear and as accurate as possible here at the Sandtrap  Vocabulary is important!

Cheers, mate!

Excellent!   to compound things, up until I had a minor operation, I had a condition known as "Duputrane's Contraction" where my next to pinkie  finger was unable to straighten and was gradually pointing more and more towards my wrist!  This played havoc with my grip. I recently had the surgery to correct this and now my fingers are straight (for now). The condition could come back but probably not for years and the procedure can be done again, but hell, I will probably no longer be among the living by that time.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by Hacker James

Excellent!   to compound things, up until I had a minor operation, I had a condition known as "Duputrane's Contraction" where my next to pinkie  finger was unable to straighten and was gradually pointing more and more towards my wrist!  This played havoc with my grip. I recently had the surgery to correct this and now my fingers are straight (for now). The condition could come back but probably not for years and the procedure can be done again, but hell, I will probably no longer be among the living by that time.

I'm familiar with Duputrane's Contraction. My dad had that surgery done 2 or 3 months ago. Yea, it's definitely no fun for golf.

Constantine

cant help noticing in the pictures it could be misleading to people - it seems as though the guy with the hands leading is pushing the club through impact?? is this what i want or should i feel like im pulling the club through with my weight shifted forward?? this may be basic but i thought id mention

Originally Posted by billatthebar

cant help noticing in the pictures it could be misleading to people - it seems as though the guy with the hands leading is pushing the club through impact?? is this what i want or should i feel like im pulling the club through with my weight shifted forward?? this may be basic but i thought id mention

As"lefty" says  "Hinge and Hold".

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by billatthebar

Depends on you. There is very few feels that can be generalized in the golf swing. All that we know is, that you need a flat left wrist at impact, hands ahead of ball. How you get there, figure out your own feels. Don't go around believing others, you may or may not get it to stick, sometimes you can damage your swing more.

This is why video is key, and doing a lot of the drills that are in the swing thoughts threads, they will mimic positions and from there you can get a feel for yourself and ingrain the movements to your memory.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I'm familiar with Duputrane's Contraction. My dad had that surgery done 2 or 3 months ago. Yea, it's definitely no fun for golf.

yep, I had it for years without knowing exactly what it was. Supposedly the disease is prominent in Males over 50 whose heritage is Northern Europe/Great Britain. Its a very slowly progressing affliction with no known cure. Some require extensive surgery, but many can do as I did with a clinical procedure involving probing with a needle to soften the growth and bending your finger back into a straight position. The growth resembles cartilage substance that is on the top of the tendons that eventually will draw finger(s) to the palm, You can see the raised tendons in your palm. Usually not painful.

"James"

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!