IGNORED

Hello from Cleveland, OH

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I sometimes get lucky and just slice it, end up with a short wedge to the green since the slice clears the water to the right. :D

I'd be lying if I said I haven't hit a house before. :X

lol Same.

Feel free to send me a PM any time you plan on heading out as a single or if you need a third/fourth and you're in the area playing RC or something. I'll be more than happy to meet up with you as I'm always looking for new people to play golf with. I only have 2 reliable people I can always count on to golf on the weekends. Everyone else is always 50/50 the night before....

I like to plan my Saturday golf on Monday lol.

I tell people all the time that northeast Ohio is a very underrated area of good golf. Tons of good, affordable courses. When I lived in the Falls, my rota was Windmill Lakes is Ravenna, Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville, Good Park in Akron. Also would play The Quarry, Manakiki, Brookledge in the Falls (Arthur Hills redesign), Legends of Massillon, Zoar, Brandywine in Peninsula, Prestwick, Maplecrest (great set of par 3s)...and on & on.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I tell people all the time that northeast Ohio is a very underrated area of good golf. Tons of good, affordable courses. When I lived in the Falls, my rota was Windmill Lakes is Ravenna, Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville, Good Park in Akron. Also would play The Quarry, Manakiki, Brookledge in the Falls (Arthur Hills redesign), Legends of Massillon, Zoar, Brandywine in Peninsula, Prestwick, Maplecrest (great set of par 3s)...and on & on.

The Quarry was rough last season! Manakiki is really nice, as is Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville. Hollow is not forgiving at all and can really lure you into playing stupid golf lol. I'm also easily influenced after a few beers too so I set up perfect drives and fall for dumb risk/reward shots there.

I never played Windmill Lakes, but I have heard it is very nice and would like to try it this Summer.

EDIT: Hell, all people have to do is download the Shotly app and type in a NE Ohio zip code and see that within a 40 mile radius, there's like 60 public courses and 30 of them are extremely nice and comparable to the other 50 private courses. NE Ohio is flooded with golf courses, it's just not a typical "tourist" area because people never intend to drive here unless it is to go to Cleveland and then they quickly get back to where they came from lol.

Originally Posted by Spyder

The Quarry was rough last season! Manakiki is really nice, as is Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville. Hollow is not forgiving at all and can really lure you into playing stupid golf lol. I'm also easily influenced after a few beers too so I set up perfect drives and fall for dumb risk/reward shots there.

I never played Windmill Lakes, but I have heard it is very nice and would like to try it this Summer.

EDIT: Hell, all people have to do is download the Shotly app and type in a NE Ohio zip code and see that within a 40 mile radius, there's like 60 public courses and 30 of them are extremely nice and comparable to the other 50 private courses. NE Ohio is flooded with golf courses, it's just not a typical "tourist" area because people never intend to drive here unless it is to go to Cleveland and then they quickly get back to where they came from lol.

Whenever I would take someone to Windmill who had never played it before, I would give them this challenge: I'll bet you $20 you can't get through 18 holes without a 3-putt. The greens are enormous & very undulating. 100-foot putts are possible. It's very open off the tee, a second-shot course...sort of an Augusta National feel to it.

Sleepy Hollow has some flat-out awesome holes - #1, the downhill par-5 (don't be right), #2 is a 200y par 3 over a ravine (don't be right...again), #3 is a 450y dog-right par 4 with a second shot to an elevate green over a stream, and so on. Definitely have to bring your A game. Here's a great pic of #1 -

Yeah, not for nothing, but the tourism boards in the Cleveland area should work up a travel package much like how Northern Michigan has done - it stays dark well after 9pm in the summer, the weather is gorgeous, the courses are great. Throw in an Indians game & the Rock Hall and you got a real nice vacation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Whenever I would take someone to Windmill who had never played it before, I would give them this challenge: I'll bet you $20 you can't get through 18 holes without a 3-putt. The greens are enormous & very undulating. 100-foot putts are possible. It's very open off the tee, a second-shot course...sort of an Augusta National feel to it.

Sleepy Hollow has some flat-out awesome holes - #1, the downhill par-5 (don't be right), #2 is a 200y par 3 over a ravine (don't be right...again), #3 is a 450y dog-right par 4 with a second shot to an elevate green over a stream, and so on. Definitely have to bring your A game. Here's a great pic of #1 -

Yeah, not for nothing, but the tourism boards in the Cleveland area should work up a travel package much like how Northern Michigan has done - it stays dark well after 9pm in the summer, the weather is gorgeous, the courses are great. Throw in an Indians game & the Rock Hall and you got a real nice vacation.

You are right on about the marketing and travel package that this area needs. Sleepy Hollow's pics brings back memories. I will have to play that again in the next week or 2 for sure. I definitely get that Augusta feel from it as well!

I've never actually played Sleepy Hollow, but plan to, as I'm moving about 5 miles from it next Friday.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I've never actually played Sleepy Hollow, but plan to, as I'm moving about 5 miles from it next Friday.

I'll be very interested in your impressions of it.

Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!