IGNORED

closing my clubhead at impact...

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sometimes, maybe 5-10% of the time, I will hit a bad pull, I feel it as soon as it happens, if i set my  club back down without moving it, it will be closed, alot... I have no idea where I am doing it or how, I can't seem to emulate it when swinging slowly, only full speed on impact.... I was thinking it must have something to do with my grip, because the club is literally turning not my wrists, I think... I have tried gripping harder, but that just makes a mess of things.. I know without video it is difficult to advise on these things, I will try to get some video when I play tomorrow.

Thanks

Then just try weakening your grip at address?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

Then just try weakening your grip at address?

Can  you elaborate a little, do you mean start with a weaker grip, then get stronger on backswing?

If your clubhead is pointing to the left at impact, you have too strong grip. Just weaken your grip at address, then take your normal swing.

DO NOT grip harder. Always keep a nice loose grip. Like your holding a bird. You don't want to crush the bird in your hands. Yet you want to keep the bird from flying away.

Also, do you have the club in your fingers or palm? The club shaft should be in upper part of the fingers, not the palm.

If your clubhead is pointing to the left at impact, you have too strong grip. Just weaken your grip at address, then take your normal swing.

ahhhhh I see, so I was thinking the opposite, I will try this tomorrow on the course, thanks for the quick reply...

Originally Posted by michajo2k3

ahhhhh I see, so I was thinking the opposite, I will try this tomorrow on the course, thanks for the quick reply...

Tell us how you grip the club?

Don't manipulate the clubface. The take away should be squared clubface. And full release after impact. But let it happen naturally.

• Administrator

I think many here would be surprised at how often the opposite is true.

I'll do a video on this sometime soon…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tell us how you grip the club?

I start with the left hand, getting myself aligned, then put on my right, at address I think my left hand grips a little tighter than my right, maybe 3/10 with left, and 2/10 right... I have been working on not squeezing as I start my downswing, because I believe this was killing my clubhead speed.

Hi

Do you mean that when you set up, the club is square, and after impact, now the club face is closed? If so this happens to me once in awhile and I still don't know what causes it. I'm guessing that I hit the ball off of the heal of my iron. I've just started using a dry marker instead of impact stickers on my irons when I practice, but it hasn't happen to me so far. I really think its from me hitting close to the heel, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's more of a path issue than your grip. I have a fairly strong grip(the V's of the thumbs point to my right shoulder)and I hit the ball stright and at my target line when I am rotating my shoulders around my incline and not rotating them to level. You need to keep the head steady, rotate around your torso, keep the head behind the ball and don't force your hands to rotate through impact.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Good chance it has more to do with your pivot than the grip.  If the weight doesn't get forward on the downswing, the club will "overtake" the hands at too fast a rate.  Think what would happen if you tried to throw a baseball but never moved your body.  Good drill here

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by ralphs007

Hi

Do you mean that when you set up, the club is square, and after impact, now the club face is closed? If so this happens to me once in awhile and I still don't know what causes it. I'm guessing that I hit the ball off of the heal of my iron. I've just started using a dry marker instead of impact stickers on my irons when I practice, but it hasn't happen to me so far. I really think its from me hitting close to the heel, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes pretty much same thing...

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

It's more of a path issue than your grip. I have a fairly strong grip(the V's of the thumbs point to my right shoulder)and I hit the ball stright and at my target line when I am rotating my shoulders around my incline and not rotating them to level. You need to keep the head steady, rotate around your torso, keep the head behind the ball and don't force your hands to rotate through impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Good chance it has more to do with your pivot than the grip.  If the weight doesn't get forward on the downswing, the club will "overtake" the hands at too fast a rate.  Think what would happen if you tried to throw a baseball but never moved your body.  Good drill here

I like the idea of this drill, and I know I am not shifting my weight enough, while i do try to keep my hands forward... I will try this drill when I practice on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!