IGNORED

My Swing (maddog0512)

maddog0512
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You could also be falling onto your toes because you're setting your weight on your heels and it tries to re-center to re-balance during your swing.

Pretty guaranteed your setup will be addressed in your first lesson.

I figured it would be.  My posture has improved since last summer but it's easy to slip into bad habits.  It's amazing how much your posture affects the entire swing.  It's equally amazing how easy it is to do wrong.

Golf is hard.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just doing some practice swings in the garage last night.  This is where I'd like my backswing to stop.  It feels like my hands are just about head high.  I need to make it a point to stop there and not try to go farther back.  It adds nothing.  I'm putting these pictures here so that I can visualize them while practicing.

Golf is hard.

Just received my Evolvr lesson from Brian.  Of course, it was not even close to what I was predicting.  No issues with my setup but he wants me to work on my grip, specifically my left hand.  He says it's too much in the palm and that I've set up with such a delofted club face, that it's contributing to my inconsistent and low ball flight.  Looking at the wear on my glove, can't say I disagree with him...

Also, probably need to ease up on the death grip.  Anyway, I'm kind of happy that this is something static I can start working on rather than something happening during my swing, which is coming.  Hopefully it'll be an easy fix that only feels odd for a little while.

Golf is hard.

So I submitted these videos to Brian tonight.  The range session with the new grip didn't go so great today. EVERYTHING went right.  Lots of pushes with my 9 iron and a couple push fades.  Also, I'm still bumping my head off the ball in my backswing which annoys me to no end when I'm watching my swing.  I got lots of work to do...

Golf is hard.

• Administrator
So I submitted these videos to Brian tonight.  The range session with the new grip didn't go so great today.  EVERYTHING went right.  Lots of pushes with my 9 iron and a couple push fades.

I just read Brian's response, and that seems like a likely result. You were previously adding a bunch of loft, and you still are, but it's leaving the face open. That's a good sign, given where you were and what you were doing before.

It's not a bad result, nor unexpected.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From a fellow high hcp, just wanted to say the swing looks good! You definitely don't look like a 20 hcp.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

I just read Brian's response, and that seems like a likely result. You were previously adding a bunch of loft, and you still are, but it's leaving the face open. That's a good sign, given where you were and what you were doing before.

It's not a bad result, nor unexpected.

Now I'm a little confused. I thought I was previously delofting the club ("not adding a bunch of loft") by closing it at address in an attempt to stop the ball from shooting out right.

From a fellow high hcp, just wanted to say the swing looks good! You definitely don't look like a 20 hcp.

Thanks!  That's just an estimate though.  I have no idea what my actual hcp is.  My goal this summer is to break 90.  Baby steps...

Golf is hard.

Now I'm a little confused. I thought I was previously delofting the club ("not adding a bunch of loft") by closing it at address in an attempt to stop the ball from shooting out right.

Thanks!  That's just an estimate though.  I have no idea what my actual hcp is.  My goal this summer is to break 90.  Baby steps...

I'm sure you'll get there soon. One thing that has been encouraging for me is seeing just how horrible looking some of the lower hcp's swings are. I played with this recently guy and couldn't believe he was a 9. But he's consistent, knows his typical ball flight, and has a good short game. I'm playing golf for more then just having a low score, so I'd rather take the long road and have a good swing. Best of luck!

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

I'm sure you'll get there soon. One thing that has been encouraging for me is seeing just how horrible looking some of the lower hcp's swings are. I played with this recently guy and couldn't believe he was a 9. But he's consistent, knows his typical ball flight, and has a good short game. I'm playing golf for more then just having a low score, so I'd rather take the long road and have a good swing. Best of luck!

Thanks, man.  Yeah, I'm hoping that since I'm putting in the work to get a fundamentally sound golf swing now that I'll be better for it in the long run.  Where at in Michigan are you?  I grew up around the Brighton/Howell area but moved out of state after college.

Golf is hard.

• Administrator

You added loft dynamically during the swing. The bold below:

I think because your grip is slightly off, you have made an adjustment with the clubface to improve your results. However, in doing so, you have taken a lot of the loft off of the club and you have to make adjustments mid swing to try to add loft.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got my second lesson from Brian today.  It's kind of funny because the two things he mentions that I need to work on are things I've been practicing the past few days.  He also did bring up my posture, telling me I need to stand taller to move my weight from my heels.  Anyway, he wants to see a stronger grip and for me to work on starting the ball where I want i.e. club face control.  I went to the range this morning before receiving the video and toyed around with a stronger grip.  Things went very well from there.  I also tried to not think of any mechanical thoughts or hitting positions while swinging.  I just envisioned the flow of the swing I wanted (think Ernie Els).  Also, I've been working on my start lines by hitting wiffle balls in the garage.  If the ball bounces back to me then I know it started straight.  I'm playing Fossil Trace here in CO tomorrow.  Hopefully I can carry over my good swings from today :)

Golf is hard.

Yesterday pretty much sucked.  I played 9 and shot 55, granted it was a tough course.  3 lost ball penalties (only 1 was a bad shot though, just couldn't find the other balls) and I pretty much 3 putted every single hole.  The greens were just aerated and everyone in my group had trouble putting but it was just ridiculous.  I had 4 putts for par from 4 feet or less and left everyone short a few inches :mad: .  I was fairly happy with my ball striking but driving and putting is what contributed to the high score.  Guess I'll need to start practicing putting a bit more often.

Golf is hard.

Yesterday pretty much sucked.  I played 9 and shot 55, granted it was a tough course.  3 lost ball penalties (only 1 was a bad shot though, just couldn't find the other balls) and I pretty much 3 putted every single hole.  The greens were just aerated and everyone in my group had trouble putting but it was just ridiculous.  I had 4 putts for par from 4 feet or less and left everyone short a few inches .  I was fairly happy with my ball striking but driving and putting is what contributed to the high score.  Guess I'll need to start practicing putting a bit more often.

27 putts and 3 penalty strokes to be exact.  Wow, just typing that hurts.

Golf is hard.

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!