IGNORED

Wedge Suggestions Please

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TJBam

Not bothering with describing anything and quite frankly, I've had enough of being belittled on a supposedly friendly golf forum.

Good day buddy.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Easy now, I don't think anyone's belittling you. This thread just proved my earlier point to the OP. As my granddad used to say: there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Geaux and I agree here ... nobody is belittling anybody, just sharing different opinions.  Yes, Erik can be a little direct, but as he explains, it takes too much time to think about the best way to say it something to make sure it won't be taken wrong when it can frequently be taken wrong anyway.  Bottom line is, he's a teacher who is on here sharing a lot of good information with us for free.

We also agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat.  My opinion is simply that its better to have a swiss army cat skinner so when you also need it to skin a dog or bird or any other pesky animal you want to skin, you have those other options in your back pocket.  Further, those blades are stowed away while you are skinning the cat such that they will not get in your way or slow you down or make you do anything different than you normally do while skinning cats.

(Pretty sure that's the oddest "analogy" I've ever made on here but I kinda like it) ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

We also agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat.  My opinion is simply that its better to have a swiss army cat skinner so when you also need it to skin a dog or bird or any other pesky animal you want to skin, you have those other options in your back pocket.  Further, those blades are stowed away while you are skinning the cat such that they will not get in your way or slow you down or make you do anything different than you normally do while skinning cats.

(Pretty sure that's the oddest "analogy" I've ever made on here but I kinda like it) ;)

Pretty solid analogy.

Tyler Martin

I have a 60º 4 bounce vokey I wanna sell if anyone is looking for one. ;-)

I guess now is a good time to lowball you $8 because apparently Vokey has no idea how to make a lob wedge. PM me

• Administrator
I guess now is a good time to lowball you $8 because apparently Vokey has no idea how to make a lob wedge. PM me

Pro tip: a 4° bounce Vokey wedge has more than 4° of bounce. Marketing. :-) We have a video from the PGA show this year where Bob Vokey talks about how bounce is your friend. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just to add to a few things Erik said.  All we're really trying to do is help golfers.  We're not in this to sell you a high bounce wedge, but we've gotten a chance to be around some great instructors, great players and great club engineers and this is something they all agree with.  Just sharing what we've learned and what our own experience has been.

Originally Posted by iacas

We have a video from the PGA show this year where Bob Vokey talks about how bounce is your friend.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by iacas

Pro tip: a 4° bounce Vokey wedge has more than 4° of bounce. Marketing. We have a video from the PGA show this year where Bob Vokey talks about how bounce is your friend.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64454/titleist-at-the-2013-pga-show-in-orlando/0_30#post_802977

EDIT:  Repeat!!  Sorry, Mike beat me to it. :)

Thanks boys I'm glad the conversation has come full circle and we now know that a low bounce vokey is actually a normal bounce vokey. I can now assuredly say that I am following the guidelines of our two pros and our favorite going dad. And of course throw away my draft letter to Vokey complaining that they should make a lob wedge above 10*. Now if only they send Aaron Hernandez to jail my week will have ended perfectly.

Originally Posted by jrasch

My PW is currently 46* and then I have 2 cleveland wedges a 52* and 58*. I feel I have to big of a gap between the three clubs. ...

You have a 6-degree loft gap between your wedges. But, be aware that most wedges these days only have 1/4" difference in length between types of wedges. In some Cleveland models, it's only 1/8".

Incremental differences in shaft length influence how far the ball flies. For numbered irons, the standard length gap is 1/2" up and down the numbered irons. In many wedges, the difference drops to only 1/4".

Rough planning suggests that 4* loft and 1/2" shaft length change = 10 yards distance difference up and down the iron set. So, a 6* loft but 1/4" shaft length difference would also equal about 10 yards.

How far  your wedges fly the ball on full and partial shots is more important than a magical 4-degree gap between wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

You have a 6-degree loft gap between your wedges. But, be aware that most wedges these days only have 1/4" difference in length between types of wedges. In some Cleveland models, it's only 1/8".

Incremental differences in shaft length influence how far the ball flies. For numbered irons, the standard length gap is 1/2" up and down the numbered irons. In many wedges, the difference drops to only 1/4".

Rough planning suggests that 4* loft and 1/2" shaft length change = 10 yards distance difference up and down the iron set. So, a 6* loft but 1/4" shaft length difference would also equal about 10 yards.

How far  your wedges fly the ball on full and partial shots is more important than a magical 4-degree gap between wedges.

I hit my PW about 140yds and my 52* goes maybe 115yds so that is a large gap.  So if I switch to a 50* can gain 10yds over the 52* now I have a much smaller gap.

Originally Posted by jrasch

I hit my PW about 140yds and my 52* goes maybe 115yds so that is a large gap.  So if I switch to a 50* can gain 10yds over the 52* now I have a much smaller gap.

Compared to the Clevelands, itt appears that your PW is hotter (hits the ball farther than explained by loft gap).

Going to a 50* Cle would gain you maybe about 5 yds. (Cleveland 50* and 52* wedges have same shaft length).

Does your iron set have an AW or a GW? You might end up with 50* (iron set) and a 52* (Cleveland) wedge with a 10-to-15 yard distance gap. But, do you want to carry 4 wedges?

This is a tough one... Do you know a local clubfitter you could talk to?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Compared to the Clevelands, itt appears that your PW is hotter (hits the ball farther than explained by loft gap).

Going to a 50* Cle would gain you maybe about 5 yds. (Cleveland 50* and 52* wedges have same shaft length).

Does your iron set have an AW or a GW? You might end up with 50* (iron set) and a 52* (Cleveland) wedge with a 10-to-15 yard distance gap. But, do you want to carry 4 wedges?

This is a tough one... Do you know a local clubfitter you could talk to?

Went with the Mizuno's I was looking at. Went 50, 54 and 58.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Regarding the PW being "hotter" I think all my clubs go the appropriate distance for my swing speeds.

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!