IGNORED

Should I get new irons ?

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First post so bear with me. This will be my first full year of golf. I bought callaway diablo edge irons off the rack last year because they were cheap and I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. Almost a year later I had a handful of lessons at golf galaxy and the PGA pro told me I have "out grown" my irons. I was thinking of getting the new x hots but I hit these diablo edges really well. I would like to get a set fitted to me, but I hit these irons I have pretty well and consistent. Do you guys think that I would hit something like the x hots even better if I get them fitted to me or is it not worth the money because I am hitting the ones I have now pretty well. Regardless my SS has jumped up to between 95-100 and the pro said I needed stiff shafts, I play uniflex now. Any suggestions?

I would entertain the idea of an upgrade fitted to your new swing. Bring your current irons with you and try a few on a monitor amd compare. Nothing to lose except time hitting a few clubs. I doubt anyone here would consider that wasted time.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

You can just get the irons you have reshafted, would be significantly cheaper than buying a new set.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i think you should look into a wider range than Callaway. There's much more out there, and i think better also. Not to speak off the price.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

You can just get the irons you have reshafted, would be significantly cheaper than buying a new set.

not necessarily.  theres tons of great used sets out there that may fit you, and be better clubs than what youre playing now, and be barely used.  reshafting a whole set can be costly, you might be talking 9 clubs.

Colin P.

Best way to check this out would be to hit your Diablo Edge irons on a launch monitor, and compare to another model iron fitted with stiff shafts. A shop with a Callaway, TM or Mizuno fitting cart can put different shafts into the same head for comparison testing.

Uniflex is a medium-weight shaft with flex between regular and stiff, so for some of the "lighter" stiff shafts you might not notice too much difference.

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Sometimes reshafting is cheaper, other times it really isn't.

Let's say you have D.Edge 3-PW, a total of 8 irons. Cost estimate:

• Shaft prep per club:{ Reshaft labor = $10 / Regrip labor = $4 + New grip = $6} = $20 a club
  • Cost of new shaft: TT S300 = $20 or Project X Pxi = $40

So....For eight irons...

• TT S300: $160 prep + $160 worth of shafts = $320
  • PX Pxi: $160 prep + $320 worth of shafts = $480

Note also that salvage resale value for Uniflex pull-out shafts is pretty small.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by colin007

not necessarily.  theres tons of great used sets out there that may fit you, and be better clubs than what youre playing now, and be barely used.  reshafting a whole set can be costly, you might be talking 9 clubs.

I'm comparing to a new set, as in not used. Reshafting, in my area, is 24-30 *stiff steel shaft* a club so even at 9 clubs that's 270. Which is cheaper than even most used sets of good irons, depending on how new the model is and the club maker.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I don't really want to get the irons I have now reshafted I don't really like their thickness at address and I'd rather buy a new set or just keep the ones I've got. I am open to any and all brands but don't have massive amounts of cash. I usually get my clubs from global golf.com because they give 25% off to lefties for used clubs. 3/5 clubs I've ordered in "mint" have been brand new still in plastic. But I've read online that its tough to get a set custom fit for you after it's made? So I'd probably have to buy new?

Originally Posted by smoothest485

I don't really want to get the irons I have now reshafted I don't really like their thickness at address and I'd rather buy a new set or just keep the ones I've got.

I am open to any and all brands but don't have massive amounts of cash. I usually get my clubs from global golf.com because they give 25% off to lefties for used clubs. 3/5 clubs I've ordered in "mint" have been brand new still in plastic. But I've read online that its tough to get a set custom fit for you after it's made? So I'd probably have to buy new?

So you are looking for something with a more classic profile then?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So you are looking for something with a more classic profile then?

Yeah I would say. I really like how thin the AP1s and rocketbladez seem to be. Those diablos are ridiculously thick. The reason I lean towards he x hot is because I play these callaways I have now pretty well. They are a year old but again I want something custom fit to me and stiffer shafts. I just played a round with a guy fitted with x stiff irons and I was hitting the ball just as far as he is. Not saying I need x stiff but I think stiff would help my accuracy. I tend to fade the ball (left handed)

Originally Posted by smoothest485

Yeah I would say. I really like how thin the AP1s and rocketbladez seem to be. Those diablos are ridiculously thick. The reason I lean towards he x hot is because I play these callaways I have now pretty well. They are a year old but again I want something custom fit to me and stiffer shafts. I just played a round with a guy fitted with x stiff irons and I was hitting the ball just as far as he is. Not saying I need x stiff but I think stiff would help my accuracy. I tend to fade the ball (left handed)

Thinner club heads are less game improvement, or at least a majority of the time they are. If you feel confident enough that you can move towards a less GI set then you'll get that look you want. My local driving range is also a golf shop and allows me to try out different clubs if I'm looking to buy. You should see if anyplace is near you that you can do that. Hitting off a mat into a net at the store, or even a simulator, won't give you enough real world feedback. You could look at muscle back irons, or even some old school ping eye2s if you can find them.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

My teacher thinks I could hit the pro versions of both rocketbladez and x hots. I don't know if I'm ready for all that tho. Why make it harder than it already is I suppose. Again back to my buddy he uses forged razr x's and mine go just as far as his. What would the advantage be of a muscle back that I can't have cavity back?

Musclebacks should provide more distance on center hits than regular cavity backs while being more forgiving than a blade on off center strikes. They are basically a cross between a blade and cavity back. I had a set of musclebacks that I loved but they were stolen from my car years ago. Also that was back when I played a lot more and better than now. I had been playing some old titlest blades that were given to me and moving to those musclebacks improved my game a lot at that time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm hitting the ball pretty dang far already I need a bit more accuracy. I will look into some and see what I can find out. Never considered something that advanced. So y'all think I should get fitted with new clubs or keep playing with the ones I got off the rack? I don't want them reshafted

"If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!