IGNORED

My Swing (Slice of Life)

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 1334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my evolvr video back. On the bright side, Brian said my swing looks fantastic for a 20+ handicap. He thinks I should drop very quickly. Biggest thing right now is my shoulder rotation. Need to focus on rotating my left shoulder back more level instead of dipping it down...which also causes my head to go down and toward the ball (forward of my stance).

He also has me bringing my hands in more at the backswing and standing more upright, which he says will help the shoulder rotation. As well as a feel of holding my head back toward my heels. Seems to be working. Spent a few hours doing drills and videotaping my backswing from about 25% speed all the way to about 90%. Took probably 100+ backswings, 30 or so half speed shots, and probably 10 normal shots into the net. Feels very weird still, but after about an hour, everything I was hitting was solid.

Decided to go play 9 since I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out...and just took my time on every shot...probably 5-6 backswings, 2-3 practice swings, until it felt "right", and then struck the ball. On every shot.

I decided to log every shot...here's how the round went:

Hole 1: Sharp dogleg left par 4...tree in the middle of the fairway. Pulled a 5 iron off the tee into some trees on the left. Had to punch out to the fairway, leaving me 180 yards to the pin. Slightly pushed a 6 iron just off the fringe to the right. Chipped up to 1 ft, and tapped in for a Bogey. +1

Hole 2: Another dogleg left with water all along the left side. You can carry the water and go right at the green (About 250 yard carry) or play it safe and hit straight out. I always go for the green, since my miss is typically a slice. I sliced it right in the middle of the fairway, to about 110 yards. Pushed my 52 short and right. Chipped to 10 ft and missed the putt left for a Bogey. +2

Hole 3: Long par 3, about 210. Hit a weak fade with my hybrid about 5 yards short of the green. Chipped to 8 ft and missed left for a Bogey. +3

Hole 4: Shorter par 4, straight ahead...320 yards. OB right, trees left. Pulled my hybrid left, but was safely on the right side of the cart path about 112 from the pin. Fatted my 52 about 40 yards short. Misjudged the pitch shot, leaving me almost 50 ft. Putt missed right to 7 ft. Drained the 7 footer for a Bogey. +4

Hole 5: 530 yard par 5...straight forward with water left. Hit a pull fade with the driver that caught some branches, but ended up in the middle of the fairway 288 yards from the pin. Pulled a 3 wood badly behind some trees to about 120 yards. Had to aim way right of the pin with my PW and hit it between a couple of trees to about 65-70 ft. First GIR of the day. Putt came up 9 ft short and I missed it left for a Bogey. (Noticing a pattern on missing putts left) +5

Hole 6: 440 yard par 4, slight dogleg left. Sliced a drive into the trees on the right. No shot at the green, so I punched it forward with my hybrid to about 73 yards. Duffed my 60 about 30 yards short. Pitched to 8 ft and missed the putt right for a Double Bogey. +7

Hole 7: Short par 5, just under 500 yards. OB all along the right side. Pull/popped a drive left. Had to hit a 7 iron over some trees back to the hole...this left me about 180 yards. Hit a perfect 6 iron to 15 ft. 2nd GIR of the day. Just missed the putt left for a tap in Par. +7

Hole 8: 185 yard par 3 with a tall tree about 120 yards out. Pulled a 6 iron just left of the green about 4" off the fringe. Chipped to 5 ft and drained the putt for a Par. +7

Hole 9: 350 yard par 3, slight dogleg right. Trees left and right but no real trouble. Pulled my drive left behind some trees, leaving about 165 yards to the pin. Had to aim right of a tree with my 7 iron and missed right, leaving 55 yards. I'm behind trees, but I have a perfect line to the green. The options were to try and lob it over the tree, or bump and run it. I chose a bump and run. My thought was if I could land it on the cart path, it would bounce up onto the green nicely...I pitched it right on to the cart path and it bounced and rolled to about 4 ft. Nailed the putt for Par. +7

Shot a +7 43, which I was pleased with. The best part was that I lost 0 balls, and had no penalty strokes. Also, my only "blowup hole" was a double bogey. I know I'm gonna miss a few, but I struck my irons fairly well...only fat shots were 3/4 swings with my 52 and 60. No thin shots, no duffed chips.

I honestly feel like I only left about 3 shots out there.

So now I'll probably just continue to work on the shoulder rotation until I feel like I have it down pat. Hoping about 2-3 weeks, and when I'm ready, I'll film and upload and go from there.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Got my evolvr video back. On the bright side, Brian said my swing looks fantastic for a 20+ handicap. He thinks I should drop very quickly. Biggest thing right now is my shoulder rotation. Need to focus on rotating my left shoulder back more level instead of dipping it down...which also causes my head to go down and toward the ball (forward of my stance).

He also has me bringing my hands in more at the backswing and standing more upright, which he says will help the shoulder rotation. As well as a feel of holding my head back toward my heels. Seems to be working. Spent a few hours doing drills and videotaping my backswing from about 25% speed all the way to about 90%. Took probably 100+ backswings, 30 or so half speed shots, and probably 10 normal shots into the net. Feels very weird still, but after about an hour, everything I was hitting was solid.

You should post the videos of your drill swings here. People could read your summary of what Brian told you and tell you if you were doing your drills right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You should post the videos of your drill swings here. People could read your summary of what Brian told you and tell you if you were doing your drills right.

Will do. I deleted all of them since they take up so much space, but I'll film some on Friday. In the meantime I'll be taking practice swings in front of the bathroom mirror at work. Was awkward the last time someone walked in on me doing that haha

Ryan M

Still working on the right feel to keep my head and shoulder from dipping. Not focusing on anything but that. It feels very very weird, but even so, every shot I take is solid.

Any suggestions? Seems like my left shoulder is staying up more as it should, but I'm not sure if it's as much as I need it to.

Slow Motion 75% swing:

Practice w/ a swing at the end:

Ryan M

• Administrator
Any suggestions? Seems like my left shoulder is staying up more as it should, but I'm not sure if it's as much as I need it to.

Looks good. Let the hips work a little sooner in the swing too to help the rotation, but small changes with this please .

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Looks good. Let the hips work a little sooner in the swing too to help the rotation, but small changes with this please.

Hmm...more like this? I assume you meant letting them work sooner in the backswing? Trying to do it without...overdoing it.

This is what I would consider 50-60, but you would probably say is closer to 75-80% :)

Ryan M

• Administrator

Hmm...more like this? I assume you meant letting them work sooner in the backswing? Trying to do it without...overdoing it.

Kinda.

They can start a tiny bit sooner, plus… not sway:

Ok that makes sense. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Looking in the mirror, the feel is me sticking my ass toward the target to keep the hips from swaying. Does that sound about right?

Ryan M

• Administrator

Ok that makes sense. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Looking in the mirror, the feel is me sticking my ass toward the target to keep the hips from swaying. Does that sound about right?

Yep.

You maybe overwhelmed by all the feedback but here goes anyway. The great thing is you are athletic and quick so club head speed is not going to be a problem for you.

Your back swing is getting better and your impact position is good. But your follow through shows me you are not releasing the club head. I used to do this, until an instructor pointed it out. You are holding onto the club as if you are afraid it will come out of your hands. this causes a slice. I'm not an instructor but please look up some articles on releasing the club head. Club head speed comes from the whip created by your arms but also from the wrists turning the club face from 90 degrees open half way down then to square at impact and then to 90 closed on the follow through. Look at Rory's postion after impact and see how the shalft is pointing to the target on the follow through. Get a mirror and copy Rory. I did this. It took me hours, but I managed to slow down my back swing and focus on hitting the sweet spot. And no kidding I've started to drive it straight & 285 yards. You can too.

OK, kinda ignore my last post. I haven't seen your latest videos and how much you have improved. I'm impressed. Your core seems so much more stable. Keep that up. I had to learn that too. I watched Hunter Mahan and saw how stable everything was. Its like he a rod down his spine that everything spins around. Your head will stop floating around if you keep your spine firm.

The only thing I "feel" you are still doing is mentally you are trying to "hit" the ball. Think if it as a fluid swing and the ball is merely getting in the way. Look how the pros make it look effortless. This is because all they are concerned about is creating club head speed right at the bottom of the swing, no where else. The club is a whip remember.

On the course swing at 75% of full speed. Just use one more club to get there. And concentrate on hitting the middle of the face.

Thanks for the input Steve. What's funny is, I'm not mentally trying to hit the ball at all. Lately, besides staring at the ball, I'm not thinking about hitting it at all...just focusing on the things in my takeaway that Brian at Evolvr and Erik here have mentioned, and the rest of the swing is just what happens afterwards.

Ryan M

OK. ths

Thanks for the input Steve. What's funny is, I'm not mentally trying to hit the ball at all. Lately, besides staring at the ball, I'm not thinking about hitting it at all...just focusing on the things in my takeaway that Brian at Evolvr and Erik here have mentioned, and the rest of the swing is just what happens afterwards.

Seems like these guys have really helped you. It's amazing to see you improve so fast. I often get paired with hacks on the course who are too egotistical to get lessons or ask for help. And they wonder why they get so frustrated. Try to play with guys much better than you and you'll see and hear what their ball impact is like. After you get these fundamentals down your club head speed will get faster (only at the bottom, please) and you'll begin to flush it consistently. The ball starts to really fly at that point. It feels great. And your mates won't believe it. Good luck.

• Administrator

OK. ths

Seems like these guys have really helped you. It's amazing to see you improve so fast. I often get paired with hacks on the course who are too egotistical to get lessons or ask for help. And they wonder why they get so frustrated. Try to play with guys much better than you and you'll see and hear what their ball impact is like. After you get these fundamentals down your club head speed will get faster (only at the bottom, please) and you'll begin to flush it consistently. The ball starts to really fly at that point. It feels great. And your mates won't believe it. Good luck.

Steve, you're new to the site, and welcome - we appreciate the enthusiasm.

Look around the Swing Thoughts forum. Look around the Instructional forum. Mike ( @mvmac ) and I are both instructors. We care quite a bit about what we do, and have shared a lot of information here on the site. We welcome and encourage any and all discussion, too, so keep sharing.

Thanks.

Seems like these guys have really helped you. It's amazing to see you improve so fast. I often get paired with hacks on the course who are too egotistical to get lessons or ask for help.

Yeah, that's definitely not me (Besides the hack part :-D ).

@iacas ...Here's some back to back swings. First one is me really exaggerating the hips and shoulders and swinging very slowly...

Next is about 75%. Not exaggerating, just focused on the shoulders and hips. The feels seem to be helping, but I know it's not quite there yet. With all the rain today, I've already practiced a couple of hours, and after a break, will probably get back out there for a couple more. This garage net is going to be a life saver.

The shoulder is starting to feel a little more natural, but I'm still trying to exaggerate the feel until it starts to show up on tape without me thinking about it.

Ryan M

• Administrator

@iacas ...Here's some back to back swings. First one is me really exaggerating the hips and shoulders and swinging very slowly...

Next is about 75%. Not exaggerating, just focused on the shoulders and hips. The feels seem to be helping, but I know it's not quite there yet. With all the rain today, I've already practiced a couple of hours, and after a break, will probably get back out there for a couple more. This garage net is going to be a life saver.

The shoulder is starting to feel a little more natural, but I'm still trying to exaggerate the feel until it starts to show up on tape without me thinking about it.

First swing on the left, second on the right.

I like them both. I like the second slightly faster one the most.

Wouldn't mind seeing your feet flared a bit more, and a tiny bit wider.

You're on the right path man. Good stuff here.

First swing on the left, second on the right.

I like them both. I like the second slightly faster one the most.

Wouldn't mind seeing your feet flared a bit more, and a tiny bit wider.

You're on the right path man. Good stuff here.

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep the feels and exaggerations going until it feels a lot more comfortable and natural, then I'll reupload to Evolvr. If I can keep practicing at the pace I have been this week, I'm thinking another two weeks or so and I'll be ready.

Ryan M

Another thing I noticed, was my tendency to hit more off the toe side of the club. Tried a quick adjustment to my setup, and it seems to have fixed it. First pic was the initial setup, then 3 consecutive shots with the slightly modified setup. (a bit thin...but meh)

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 1334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!