IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

8 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Was there any specific reason you went with the 8 iron on the first and pitching wedge on second for the same distance?

8 iron was from light rough to an elevated green and the PW was from fairway to a green that was pretty much at the same height as I was.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

8 iron was from light rough to an elevated green and the PW was from fairway to a green that was pretty much at the same height as I was.

Cool, that makes sense.  Was curious.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

(edited)

Even though I really didn't feel much like going, I made myself go to the range. I can't let myself get lazy if I'm going to keep improving my swing. While the swings aren't perfect they are much better than they've ever been after having this much time off from range work and only playing. That's probably due to keeping the same swing thought and sticking to it even when I'm on the course instead of tinkering with my swing while playing. I recorded more swings than normal because, well to be honest, I didn't think I was doing a very good job. Once I pulled them up on the larger screen I wasn't too upset with how they looked so I figured why not throw them all up.

I included my pre-swing drill in the first clip. This is what I'm doing on the course before I hit shots also. I'm trying to develop a pre-shot routine to start making these things more automatic and less actual thoughts.

I did not record as many DTL swings, as, like I said I wasn't feeling like I was doing much right and was feeling a bit discouraged. I only got a small bucket of balls tonight because of my lack of motivation. I still took some time to hit the balls and spent about an hour hitting 40 balls or so. For me, that's a long time. If I take more time hitting shots I start losing focus and become distracted. That's probably something I should work on, because I'm not doing the greatest job of following the Slow and Steady parts of practicing. All that said, I am feeling like I've done probably the best job I have ever done keeping focused on a single piece. I haven't even been tempted to ask about what's next or moving on to something different. Right now I still feel like I don't need to move on to anything different, which is such a strange feeling. I have to say, it's nice not trying to force myself to progress too fast.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

The hip turn looks good @Jeremie Boop. You're still flipping a bit.  Are you doing drills for that as well?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

The hip turn looks good @Jeremie Boop. You're still flipping a bit.  Are you doing drills for that as well?

Not directly, I was given pretty strict instructions to not worry about that. I was given 2 pieces to work on when I went for my lesson in Erie. Improving centered pivot *aka the hip on wall* and an umbrella feel with the club on the take-away/backswing. I wasn't supposed to even really work on the second piece hardly at all, and when I did work on it a bit at first it threw off my focus on the primary piece so I haven't even bothered working on it again sense. At this point, given all the other direct fixes that we've tried for my flip I believe the plan is to address all the things that are contributing to the cause of me flipping in order to eliminate it instead.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Not directly, I was given pretty strict instructions to not worry about that. I was given 2 pieces to work on when I went for my lesson in Erie. Improving centered pivot *aka the hip on wall* and an umbrella feel with the club on the take-away/backswing. I wasn't supposed to even really work on the second piece hardly at all, and when I did work on it a bit at first it threw off my focus on the primary piece so I haven't even bothered working on it again sense. At this point, given all the other direct fixes that we've tried for my flip I believe the plan is to address all the things that are contributing to the cause of me flipping in order to eliminate it instead.

That's pretty spot on, yes. And I've awarded you the Stupid Monkey badge as a result. :-) So congratulations.

As for the flip… Yes, we're waiting on that a little bit. But there's one thing you can do now, and I'm going to explain why doing your current piece is so important.

Right now we're working on your hips turning in place (or even slightly forward during the backswing) while your head stays back (in place). There are two big contributing factors that cause you to flip: your head goes forward, and the shaft gets steep. Flipping is a shallowing move, as well as a move that shortens the radius of the clubhead.

Consider this: if you let your head go down, forward, and the shaft was steep… you could take a deep deep divot. Conversely, with your head back, and a shallow shaft, and you'd have trouble even hitting the ground at all, and any divot would barely brush the grass.

So in the first case (head forward, down, shaft steep) you're going do something to lead to a "more successful" shot. You're going to compensate. Because your head is down a little, you'll shorten the radius by bending your left elbow a bit, perhaps, or flipping, perhaps. Because your head is forward, and the shaft is steep, you'll compensate by doing something that shallows the club and gets it ascending sooner so you don't take a divot to the earth's core: so you flip a little. Otherwise the ball would come out head high and you'd be sued by the county for not having a digging permit.

So that's why the backswing is important. I want you to keep focusing on this piece, with one small tweak: don't let your head go down so much in the backswing. Stay a little bit taller, but REALLY make sure you're creating that angle in your right hip (the angle between your torso and right thigh) at A4 (see Dufner).Boop.jpgDufner.jpgDufner2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, so I am doing good on keeping my hip in place but I need more focus on spine tilt. Got it. As for staying tall, is that on the downswing or backswing? I'm pretty sure you mean downswing based on the photos but just want to make sure.

Also, thank you for the Stupid Monkey award. It feels good knowing that I'm finally doing things the right way.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, so I am doing good on keeping my hip in place but I need more focus on spine tilt. Got it. As for staying tall, is that on the downswing or backswing? I'm pretty sure you mean downswing based on the photos but just want to make sure.

Both. Your head drops in your backswing too. It goes forward, mostly, in the downswing.

Use a mirror and don't exaggerate the head "back" and the spine angle stuff so much your head drops.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Both. Your head drops in your backswing too. It goes forward, mostly, in the downswing.

Use a mirror and don't exaggerate the head "back" and the spine angle stuff so much your head drops.

Alright, thank you for the clarification.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Ok, I've been working on trying to keep tall when doing the backswing. I'm having a very tough time maintaining any spine angle and while not having my head drop. 

stay tall.jpg

Or am I being too picky?? My head is still lowering about an inch but it looks like my tilt is almost completely gone. Is that because my hip is going forward instead of staying in place? I'm very keen on trying to get this right before I start working on it consistently so that I don't start ingraining a wrong position.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Or am I being too picky?? My head is still lowering about an inch but it looks like my tilt is almost completely gone.

Your tilt's not gone and your head hasn't dropped much at all. In the videos it drops about six inches. I'll take two or three. Just not six.

3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Is that because my hip is going forward instead of staying in place?

Think about it… your hips going forward would promote spine tilt.

Plus I don't agree with your lines. Your left line would miss your belly button and the zipper of your pants by a few inches, and your right line has tilt. All you need is 6-10°.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Your tilt's not gone and your head hasn't dropped much at all. In the videos it drops about six inches. I'll take two or three. Just not six.

Think about it… your hips going forward would promote spine tilt.

Plus I don't agree with your lines. Your left line would miss your belly button and the zipper of your pants by a few inches, and your right line has tilt. All you need is 6-10°.

I just wanted to get another set of eyes on the positions to make sure I was seeing things correctly. It was after 3 am when I did this so I didn't necessarily trust my own eyes. 

Thanks for the feedback again, I'll continue working on the feels that were producing this backswing. I may have a chance to get to the range today, if I do I'll record some swings trying to keep my head from moving back and dropping in the swing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Just posting a quick video of my range with today. Haven't had a chance to really evaluate the swings yet only trim and upload this one from my phone.

From a quick glance and on the small screen it looked like I was doing a decent job of keeping tall. I started off hitting a lot of bladed shots but after awhile started hitting much more solid. 

Just as a side note I think this was a swing with the demo I blade 7 iron. Super sweet feeling club. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Here are the rest of the swings I had recorded from the range today. 

I'm a little disappointed. I really felt like I was keeping tall and not dipping my head on these swings but once I got home and was able to actually check it seems I didn't do as good a job as I had thought. That's not to say it didn't improve at all, but it really felt a lot better than it turned out to look. Not surprising if I really think about it, because feel isn't real as we all know. I'll keep working on it because improvement of any amount is better than none.

head drop comparison.jpg

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Thanks for the feedback again, I'll continue working on the feels that were producing this backswing. I may have a chance to get to the range today, if I do I'll record some swings trying to keep my head from moving back and dropping in the swing.

The head can go back a little. I'm not too worried about the head going back an inch or two. That's still "relatively steady."

And the head dropping isn't something we've addressed yet (on the downswing).

Don't deviate. Stick to the backswing work you're doing. The stuff about your head dropping in the downswing is simply to illustrate part of the "why" you still flip a bit. You have to (for now). When you come up in August or September, we'll probably address that part if the backswing is good.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The head can go back a little. I'm not too worried about the head going back an inch or two. That's still "relatively steady."

And the head dropping isn't something we've addressed yet (on the downswing).

Don't deviate. Stick to the backswing work you're doing. The stuff about your head dropping in the downswing is simply to illustrate part of the "why" you still flip a bit. You have to (for now). When you come up in August or September, we'll probably address that part if the backswing is good.

I see, I misunderstood what I was supposed to be adding. I thought I was adding keeping my head from dipping/moving on both back and downswings. So all I need to focus on is the steadier head on the backswing and ignore the downswing part. I am actually happy that I only have to work on the one part, having that single focus has been much better for me. I'm glad you clarified that for me. If I'm lucky, getting in a better position on the backswing will start fixing the downswing part without actually specifically working on it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I see, I misunderstood what I was supposed to be adding. I thought I was adding keeping my head from dipping/moving on both back and downswings. So all I need to focus on is the steadier head on the backswing and ignore the downswing part. I am actually happy that I only have to work on the one part, having that single focus has been much better for me. I'm glad you clarified that for me. If I'm lucky, getting in a better position on the backswing will start fixing the downswing part without actually specifically working on it.

Yes, just the backswing part…

On August 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM, iacas said:

So that's why the backswing is important. I want you to keep focusing on this piece, with one small tweak: don't let your head go down so much in the backswing. Stay a little bit taller, but REALLY make sure you're creating that angle in your right hip (the angle between your torso and right thigh) at A4 (see Dufner).

I haven't asked you to work on the downswing yet. For now, your head will continue to drop in the downswing. That's fine. You can still play better golf with a better backswing.

The angle in the hips is primarily via your hips not swaying back, but turning forward slightly, and your head staying relatively in place or going back an inch or two.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes, just the backswing part…

I haven't asked you to work on the downswing yet. For now, your head will continue to drop in the downswing. That's fine. You can still play better golf with a better backswing.

The angle in the hips is primarily via your hips not swaying back, but turning forward slightly, and your head staying relatively in place or going back an inch or two.

Got it, just the same thing I've been working on with the addition of watching my head movement.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: