IGNORED

Official 2013 British Open at Muirfield Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil is playing really well right now, he's gonna win his first Open Championship!!!

Go Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I agree with you. I'll get up an hour to an hour and a half early brew some coffee and watch as much as I can before work.

I'll be up also to catch as much coverage as possbile before heading to work.  There's a good chance I'll also be following along at work.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I believe everyone on that list save two won multiple the Open multiple times. However, it was the site of a first win for a few, so we could certainly see a good young player win it.

True. Maybe this is the beginning of the Jordan Spieth era!

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How long until someone starts 'The Official 2013 Open at Muirfield discussion thread'?

Seriously, the course looks amazing.  I remember when there was a time when the courses in North America had a more manicured look than the traditional courses in Europe.  Where the traditional links courses just looked gnarly and tough with their fescue grasses at knee height, and burned out fairways with pot bunkers the size of a VW bug.  But Muirfield in 2013 looks beautiful and tough - but still has the traditional links flare that I love.

I hope we get some winds blowing so we can see these dudes get punished and have to fight their way to the trophy!

Photo courtesy of:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/golf/5011627/The-Open-2013-Muirfield-hole-by-hole-course-guide.html

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Photo courtesy of:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/golf/5011627/The-Open-2013-Muirfield-hole-by-hole-course-guide.html

Gorgeous. We're planning a trip to Scotland for the Open in 2015. Muirfield is definitely on the list of courses to be played.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Gorgeous. We're planning a trip to Scotland for the Open in 2015. Muirfield is definitely on the list of courses to be played.

Take the camera and lots of pics!  I'd love to do the same one day...

Originally Posted by phan52

Phil has announced that he will not have a driver in his bag.

Did he have one last week, or any of the weeks since the US Open?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The weather looks to be fairly calm for the tournament - predicted to be:

Thur - 17 at first tee time, high of 24, 9mph wind, no precipitation

Fri - 16 at first tee time, high of 21, 7 mph wind, some mist/fog but no rain

Sat - 15 at first tee time, high of 19, 13 mph wind, some mist but no rain

Sun - moderate temps, 7 mph wind, no rain

Looks like weather will not be a factor - providing the forecasts are fairly accurate.

I kinda miss having at least one weather day in the Open Championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641419

Players play, tough players win!

For all us American's on the board, allow me to translate:

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

The weather looks to be fairly calm for the tournament - predicted to be:

Thur - 63 at first tee time, high of 75, 9mph wind, no precipitation

Fri - 61 at first tee time, high of 70, 7 mph wind, some mist/fog but no rain

Sat - 59 at first tee time, high of 66, 13 mph wind, some mist but no rain

Sun - moderate temps, 7 mph wind, no rain

Looks like weather will not be a factor - providing the forecasts are fairly accurate.

I kinda miss having at least one weather day in the Open Championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641419

Looks like temps are going to get colder as the tournament progresses. Hopefully this will lead to some deteriorating weather. Things can change quickly on the links.

Tyler Martin

Maybe a good place to ask a question here.

Im from the Netherlands and therefor hoping Joost Luiten will get a spot from somebody who can't play because whatever the reason is.

Now the question is Joost Luiten able to practice for example tomorrow cause he is first reserve or is that just available for those that are already on the entrylist.

I would assume you have a big disadvantage if you hear tomorrow you can play but weren't able to practice and see how the greens are for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaapB View Post

Maybe a good place to ask a question here.

Im from the Netherlands and therefor hoping Joost Luiten will get a spot from somebody who can't play because whatever the reason is.

Now the question is Joost Luiten able to practice for example tomorrow cause he is first reserve or is that just available for those that are already on the entrylist.

I would assume you have a big disadvantage if you hear tomorrow you can play but weren't able to practice and see how the greens are for example.

From an article a couple of years old, it sounds like he does not get to practice on the course

http://www.oregonlive.com/golf/index.ssf/2011/07/british_opens_unlikely_first-r.html

Quote:
Heck, Bjorn was an alternate, getting in only one day of practice after learning Monday night he had a spot because of Vijay Singh's withdrawal.

Players play, tough players win!

Heard an interesting fact today. The Muirfield membership plays foursome partners alternate shot as their standard game. Only with permission can they play their own ball. On average, a foursome will get around in 2:30 or so.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Heard an interesting fact today. The Muirfield membership plays foursome partners alternate shot as their standard game. Only with permission can they play their own ball. On average, a foursome will get around in 2:30 or so.....

I was looking at visitor information a while back, and I remember seeing that. I also noticed that they will not allow more or less than 4 players to a group (foursomes only).

http://www.muirfield.org.uk/visitors/visitors-notes-of-guidance.aspx

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by David in FL

So they don't play golf there???

Muirfield has always had big name winnners. Jack, Trevino, Player, Els, Faldo and Watson. I like this trend to continue. Think this weather and tourney shape up well for TW and much better than Merion did for him. Little less pressure here than at home for him and I just think he will slide in there nicely. If not Tiger, cant help but think with the slightly more modest weather than usual Opens, a guy like DJ might come to the top. The Open has always been his best tournament and now with some calmer weather compared to usual opens, perhaps it will only assist DJ with a win.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

So they don't play golf there??? b5_confused.gif :-D

Of course they do. As defined in rule 29-1.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Have read that as an 'outsider' or guest,  playing at Muirfield is among the most difficult courses in the world to get onto.  Not just the cost but the members just don't like other folks messing about on their track. They don't much like ladies either.  So, Go4Broke, best wishes and we'll be watching here for your photos; probably taken from the gate, looking in! But hey , plenty of single malt available just around the corner.

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!