IGNORED

Best Degree Driver for a longer hitter?

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I recently picked golf back up after a 2 year hiatus, and I am wondering about my Driver. I currently have a 10.5 Big Bertha thats probably 4-5 years old and can hit it about 275-290. I have a pretty fast & controlled swing and was wondering if it'd be in my best interest to get a lower degree Driver in the future. What are the pros and cons or strategies rather in picking the loft on your driver?

I picked up a TM RBZ Stage II driver at 9.5 degrees with a stiff flex shaft. I also have a lot of speed (Though not very controlled sometimes haha), and actually found I got more distance set at 8 degrees. But everyone will vary. Anywhere you can go with a launch monitor?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah the launch monitor would be ideal.. Technology has changed quite some since the big Bertha series. Also since most of the new drivers out have adjustable heads you'll be able to tune it to your liking and preference and play around.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I will probably get a newer driver that has the adjustable head feature. What exactly is a launch monitor/what will it tell me? Do they have them at dick's or golf galaxy?

A launch monitor is a device that with the help of a computer, can tell you your launch angle, spin, carry, distance and all the other stats of your swing, all indoors. Yes, Dick's and Golf Galaxy have these.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

A launch monitor is a device that with the help of a computer, can tell you your launch angle, spin, carry, distance and all the other stats of your swing, all indoors. Yes, Dick's and Golf Galaxy have these.

^^^ And it would be even better if you get fitted for something. Maybe even ask them when the brand reps are in town because most times they'll do one for you if you're interested in a driver they represent. That's what happened with me and my Titleist driver. The rep spent an hour with me and I tried a bunch of different settings and shafts until I finally had the right settings for my swing. All the stats were looked at I.e. spin, carry, swing speed etc.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by tfdieder

Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I recently picked golf back up after a 2 year hiatus, and I am wondering about my Driver. I currently have a 10.5 Big Bertha thats probably 4-5 years old and can hit it about 275-290. I have a pretty fast & controlled swing and was wondering if it'd be in my best interest to get a lower degree Driver in the future. What are the pros and cons or strategies rather in picking the loft on your driver?

Depends on the type of golf shaft you have. You can get away with a higher degree golf club if your golf shafts doesn't add loft dynamically in the swing.

Lower degree drivers will lower the spin rate, which in turn will lower the maximum height of the golf ball if all else is equal.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Whatever can get you to launch it at about 17 degrees with 1700 RPM spin. Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, is that optimal conditions?

Wouldn't a low spin rate really kill distance?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

No, spin kills distance on drives actually.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Maybe the lower spin rate prevents balooning? I don't know...I just look at ball and hit ball...I don't know the specifics, nor am I good enough to care. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

You got to look at your ball flight for that. As long as your ball flight (read spin ) is penetrating and not ballooning up on you i suggest you go down a little

to 9-9,5 deg. but not more. The shaft would be just as important for you. I just got the Mizuno JPX 825 driver with 9,5 deg loft. Got a stiff 65 gram shaft in this one and i hit it very high but with low spin meaning i get a good distance out off it.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• Administrator

Spin causes ballooning. Better to launch the ball higher on a flatter trajectory at higher clubhead speeds. Lower clubhead speeds benefit from a little more spin to keep the ball aloft longer.

You can look up optimal ball launch characteristics, but honestly, the best thing to do is go here and plug in some good guesses for your ball speed, and play with the launch angle and spin numbers.

Compare:

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Really like all the feedback guys. In terms of the shaft what are the different characteristics I should be looking at? I only have stiff shafts because I have enough speed to get around on the ball, but is there anything else in terms of the shaft that i should be looking at also?

Just replaced my old as dirt box set 3 and 5 woods with a 3 wood and 3 hybrid TM burner 2.0. Anyone have any reviews or thoughts on those clubs?

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!