IGNORED

Who is worse to play with? Cheaters or High Handicappers?

Snowman
Note: This thread is 6075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find most hackers are cheaters. They just don't play to the rules of the game... gimmies, mullies, drop a ball when OB, nudging the ball to get a better lie, etc.

do you call illegal defense in pick up basketball?

if it's not a competition or counting towards a handicap the rules don't really matter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the worst are the sand baggers in my men's league who carry a high HC, but magically have their best rounds in tournament play.

sandbaggers are cheaters.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• Administrator
by no means am I picking on Iacas, it's friendly jabbing...I don't mean any harm by it.....in fact I like his style of posting as well.....brings alot to the table with it imho.....

Hey hey, I can take it. I wasn't born with the Rules of Golf in my hand, no, but my mom did fall asleep on a copy of The Decisions on the Rules of Golf when I was six months old, she tells me.

Nah... And seriously, as I said, my answer depends on what you mean by "high" handicappers. If you mean 18, I'd rather play with them than any kind of cheater. If you mean 36, well, what kind of cheater are you talking about?
sandbaggers are cheaters.

So are reverse sandbaggers... but I still enjoy taking their money. They truly ARE only cheating themselves. Heh heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now that I've read every post in this thread, even though we're decent golfers, I guess you can qualify us as cheaters. Unless things really get messy, we don't take too many penalty strokes, we just note it on our card. We "give" each other putts that rimmed around the hole, and occasionally we improve our lie. It's not really a matter of cheating to cheat the game or act any better than we are, it's just to make what father-son time we have more relaxed, we're just having a good time.

Then, of course, every spring time when I play for my High School I obviously play by the rules, as I do with my dad at that time of year just to get used to it again.

I do know most of the rules though, pretty much all of them that everyone else knows by heart.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Now that I've read

I would tend to disagree with this. I think many of us do more than note on our cards what the score would be. If I blow one into the woods off the tee, I hit a provisional. I don't improve my lie and I don't count putts that lip out. Even when someone gives me one, I will still putt out. If I miss, it goes on my card.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I would tend to disagree with this. I think many of us do more than note on our cards what the score would be. If I blow one into the woods off the tee, I hit a provisional. I don't improve my lie and I don't count putts that lip out. Even when someone gives me one, I will still putt out. If I miss, it goes on my card.

I meant like, we don't account lost balls into our score when we're trying to have a more relaxing round, we keep notes at the bottom....Like for one hole we may have "OB off Drive" or others we may have "Hit fairway, GIR."

What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I think that you have to categorize a little more clearly for this question - many posts have brought this up, but for example, I don't consider my father in law a "cheater" even though he routinely improves his lie, does not putt out completely, takes mulligans, etc. He is playing only for his enjoyment, and as a matter of fact, doesn't even keep score anymore. However, he is a pleasure to play with, and since he is not keeping score, nor sticking completely by the rules for himself, he plays rather quickly. He is playing as what I would call a "recreational only" golfer. I do play by the letter and spirit of the rules, call all applicable penalties on myself(when I know the rules), etc. I would call myself a "competitive" golfer. By that I do not mean that I play in a bunch of tournaments or try to win money, or whatever, it just means that I keep score, and keep a HCP index, and use it to compare myself against other golfers and the course I am playing. I wouldn't call anyone who falls into my personal classification of "recreation only" golfer a cheater, because they are not technically playing the same game as I am. As long as they follow good etiquette, and can keep pace, do they really bother you? (They may, but that is a matter of personal preference.)

The ones that bother me are the "competitive" golfers who cheat to gain a perceived advantage over others. Either sandbaggers, or straight cheaters. Sandbaggers bother me more, as they can be seen on the course following all the rules, and scoring exactly what they get (or even calling "extra" penalties on themselves to boost scores) and then when it comes time for that club tournament, they routinely shoot 5-10 strokes below their handicap.

If I could use my designations, I would rather play with a high handicap competitive golfer or a recreational only golfer, as long as they know and follow decent golf etiquette, and can keep a decent pace. I don't mind slowing down for other players too much, though.

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° 905T
Hybrids: 18° and 20° Baffler Pro
Irons: R7 TP 4-PW: Dynamic Gold S300 shaftsWedges: 52°, 56° and 60° Vokey wedges (252.08, 256.14 and 260.08): Dynamic Gold S300 shafts Putter: 36" Dual Force Rossie 2 Bronze Ball: Pro V1x

So are reverse sandbaggers... but I still enjoy taking their money. They truly ARE only cheating themselves. Heh heh.

I sure felt like a reverse 'bagger after my last few rounds........hopefully 2 weeks off will have me straightened out!

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

No doubt about it - Cheaters! I have no problem whatsoever playing with someone with a high handicap, is starting out, isn't very good, whatever as long as they are enjoyable to play with. You can still have a high handicap and play ready golf. What I can't stand is people who cheat to try and validate their "ability". Or... if I'm getting beat because someone is cheating every other hole and they tell me about it, because lets face it the cheaters have to validate their ability verbally too.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

. He is playing as what I would call a "recreational only" golfer. they are not technically playing the same game as I am. As long as they follow good etiquette, and can keep pace, do they really bother you? (They may, but that is a matter of personal preference.)

The ones that bother me are the "competitive" golfers who cheat to gain a perceived advantage over others. below their handicap.

I agree totally. Calling people "cheaters" who simply play for fun is crazy and unfair. Its the "competitive" golfers or the ones who are out to maintain a legal score or handicap, who skirt the rules who should be called cheaters.

. He is playing as what I would call a "recreational only" golfer. they are not technically playing the same game as I am. As long as they follow good etiquette, and can keep pace, do they really bother you? (They may, but that is a matter of personal preference.)

Yeah, I have to agree with this. So what if the guy is kicking his ball out from under the tree or fluffing up his lie in the rough? If his definition of fun is that (and he certainly isn't having fun hacking away in the trees all day), let him do it. If he ends up in an official round, he'll just end up reverse-sandbagging. That's his problem.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Yeah, I have to agree with this. So what if the guy is kicking his ball out from under the tree or fluffing up his lie in the rough? If his definition of fun is that (and he certainly isn't having fun hacking away in the trees all day), let him do it. If he ends up in an official round, he'll just end up reverse-sandbagging. That's his problem.

I won't play with people who do that regularly.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Playing with cheaters defintly isn't any fun. I have a friend who will take two drives, lose both, take a drop, be on the green after two and be putting for par. Its frustrating because I'm competitive, but yet I give very honest scores, so he always ends up very close to me even though I actually shoot about ten shots better. Playing with high HC's isn't as bad, sometimes they can even help you with your game a little bit. Unless it's someone you don't know. Sometimes when I see these guys hitting 280 down the middle, my ego gets in the way and I don't play within myself, and that costs me.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

• 4 weeks later...
I think this is a no brainier, I hate playing with someone that cheats it doesn't matter if they are a high or low handicap. Golf is an honorable game and cheating has no place in it period. Playing with high handicappers is part of the game and it doesn't bother me at all.

Note: This thread is 6075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!