IGNORED

New Beginner "complete" set

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research lately for my own set of clubs, I've been using rentals at my local course for awhile and decided to invest in my own. I've read a lot of posts about arguments between buying used gear off ebay or the cheaper new complete sets. I couldn't find any left handed complete sets on ebay so started browsing the net for the new sets. I've been looking at the Callaway Strata set http://shop.callawaygolf.com/strata-compset-2013-mens-18-piece/strata-compset-2013-mens-18-piece,default,pd.html This Affinity set http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021L9BGU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf;_rd_s=center-2&pf;_rd_r=0Z58DAAY7K25V2T3AA6R&pf;_rd_t=101&pf;_rd_p=1389517282&pf;_rd_i=507846

and this tour edge set http://www.touredge.com/products/mensreaction2.asp#perf . If you can't tell my price range is pretty cheap, but would be willing to go as high as 450.  I was just wondering what everyone thinks of these sets and which one they would spend their money on, or any other sets that you know about. Thank you

Patrick

Don't get those sets. They are cheap and will most likely break after 1 or 2 seasons. Get an Adams Tight Lies or Tight Lies Plus set. They are in your price range and are from a more reputable company.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

Originally Posted by Vinchenzio45

Don't get those sets. They are cheap and will most likely break after 1 or 2 seasons. Get an Adams Tight Lies or Tight Lies Plus set. They are in your price range and are from a more reputable company.

I agree that the TightLies are a good set to start with although I wouldn't say that Strata (Callaway) isn't a reputable company.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The stratas didnt last 7 weeks for me. Although I did use them 3 or 4 times a week hitting hundreds of balls eacj day. Im also pretty strong with a fast swing speed. THey are probably as good as any set for yhe price. Like some9ne told me, you get what you pay for. Adams seems like a much better set. Even better would be building a set, but you may have to buy used for some of yhe clubs.

why not buy seperate sets (woods/irons) or different pieces all together. idk what i'd do if i could spend 450.

i may buy a nice new driver - you never know what is on sale. plus a standard set might not have a length/shaft you'd prefer. then id probably look for used irons and frequent goodwill and second hand shops looking for used bags. plus the proshop usually has cheap new off brand lob wedges and the such. i guess it would depend on your preference though, because i would love a nice new driver.

i just bought a cheap used set (driver,3,5) of some unknown brand for 50 bucks thatll be here this week. but hey im desperate, im tired of hitting an offset driver.

if youre in the states i'd check out craigslist too. there isnt craigslist in oz. :(, they have gumtree but ehhhhh.

I suggest visiting your local Golf store if one is nearby and checking out the used clubs. You can find a nice set of irons in your range and build on them from there. Even craigslist is a decent resource for used clubs.

I second the recommendation of visiting your local golf shop and testing out some used equipment. Personally I would try to stay away from the big box stores and find a local guy where you can actually hit the clubs and see what works for you.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I ought my entire setup minus the sand wedge off of Craigslist for $500 and is a really nice set of callaway clubs and stand bag that only been used for 9 holes. check on Craigslist lots of good deals on there

tour edge bazooka line would be something I would look at if I had a budget.  I use two of them in my bag and they perform.  They are also durable,my hybrid has a lot of miles on it.  Also lifetime warranty for tour edge.

450$ is a pretty nice budget for a beginner set. I recently bought my first set used and think I got a pretty good set for a good price. It was a combo of CL, EBay, and new stuff from dicks. Callaway x20irons 2-pw + A for 205$ shipped to my door Callaway hyper X driver and 3 wood 84$ shipped to my door Single used x20 sand wedge 40$ used shipped to my door Callaway carry bag 119$ new from dicks Odyssey white ice 1 new 99$. 450$ should get you a very nice "off the rack" set of clubs from the big name manufacturers. It think a set of high quality clubs a few seasons old is better then those beginner sets. I'm planning for this set to last me 2 seasons, this one and next. At that point I plan on getting fitted for everything.

I would avoid Craig's List and eBay. You want to be able to test  hit the clubs before you buy them.

Even if you go with a boxed set, a good golf shop will let you hit different models and pick the best one. Clubfitters can do basic tweaks on boxed sets like adjust shaft length, lie angle and grip thickness. You could get some good boxed sets for $450.

If you know something about clubs, you could get a used set at a golf shop. Also, the golf shops often know the individual set specs, to help you get the fit you need. If you have taken lessons from someone, the pro might be able to help you find clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!