IGNORED

Shaft material?

Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everything I read tells me that the faster my swing speed the stiffer the shaft should be, and that graphite is only an advantage for slower swing speed.

How do I know how fast my club speed is?

I'm 47 years old, 6 feet tall and in fair shape.  I currently have an older set of Wilson Ultra's with graphite shafts, I think I should be getting longer yardage out of the clubs.

I am looking at a new set of game improving clubs, but wonder if steel in regular stiffness would be a better choice for me?

I would be considered a high handicapper...

Graphite is good for all swing speeds, there are to many graphite shafts types to count.

Really its trial and error. Here's what you need to know

Graphite shafts can be light and heavy. Heavier tends to make them stiffer. So the same shaft that's lighter, both says Stiff. the heavier one will usually be stiffer.

Torque of a shaft is what helps the club not rotate around the shaft in the swing

Kick point will help determine launch angle, higher means a lower launch

Then you have more details like stiffness profile. Is the tip stiff, butt end stiff, middle section. All these add feel, and how the clubhead impacts the ball.

Like i said, trial and error, you can get close by using your current shaft as a starting point.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well i know why they say that graphite shafts are for slower swingers.

It's just because the slower swingers would like more flex and a lighter shaft.

So that is the reason they play graphite.

However they make very good graphite shafts for better faster speeds. Look at drivers and woods all the pro's use graphite. Few years ago a lot had steel shafts.

It is good know that with a heavier stiffer steel shaft your ball might just not go as far.

But it will be more consistent. You will get a better response from a steel shafted club

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

The notion the graphite shafts are whippier than steel is an old myth.  A graphite shaft can be just as stiff as a steel.  Given the choice, I prefer graphite shafts even in my irons because they are lighter, so they increase my clubhead speed, so I get more distance with them.

You dont pay a steel shaft in your driver, so why must you play steel in your irons?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Steel feels better in my irons.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wouldn't go back to graphite shaft irons again.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Since the arrival of lighter weight shafts - both steel and graphite - I have noticed a tradeoff between flex (stiffness) and overall shaft weight. I dumped stiff shafts back about 2009 (esp. heavier, 125 gram TT Dynalite Gold S300s). But, I seem to hit some stiff shafts OK if the shaft weight is around 100 grams.

A note on shaft flexpoint, or kickpoint: This is important, but it is mainly a fine-tuning aspect of the shaft selection.

Also, note that some of the graphite shafts now have a 0.65" butt barrel, rather than 0.60". This is done to increase stability of really light shafts.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Since the arrival of lighter weight shafts - both steel and graphite - I have noticed a tradeoff between flex (stiffness) and overall shaft weight. I dumped stiff shafts back about 2009 (esp. heavier, 125 gram TT Dynalite Gold S300s). But, I seem to hit some stiff shafts OK if the shaft weight is sub-100 grams.

A note on shaft flexpoint, or kickpoint: This is important, but it is mainly a fine-tuning aspect of the shaft selection.

Also, note that some of the graphite shafts now have a 0.65" butt barrel, rather than 0.60". This is done to increase stability of really light shafts.

I need to look at what shafts are in my burner plus irons. They are stiff shafts but I don't know the specifics. They seem to have a low kick point due to the extremely high ball flight.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

It would appear to be a personal preference thing then?

The Wilson Ultra clubs really helped improve my game back when I got them.  My clubs before that where a very cheap

big box store set, with steel shaft.  I have wondered where the improvement can from, the Ultra heads being more forgiving,

or something about the graphite shafts.

I do remember being able to hit straighter and longer with less effort, or so it seemed.

I have almost decided to go back with graphite.

Thanks for the reply's.

Originally Posted by seagullplayer

It would appear to be a personal preference thing then?

The Wilson Ultra clubs really helped improve my game back when I got them.  My clubs before that where a very cheap

big box store set, with steel shaft.  I have wondered where the improvement can from, the Ultra heads being more forgiving,

or something about the graphite shafts.

I do remember being able to hit straighter and longer with less effort, or so it seemed.

I have almost decided to go back with graphite.

Thanks for the reply's.

That may be more about the swing weight of the club than the material it is made of. My burner plus with steel shaft are d2-d3 and almost all pings I looked up are d0-d2.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Without starting another thread, here are the irons I am considering:

http://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum;=MI-GGTM19-SET

Power Slot Irons from Gigagolf.  I have read good reviews on here about the company, but have not read anything here about these clubs.

I believe they would be a step up from my Wilson Ultras?

I plan on getting 3-PW.

Standard grip, club length and lie adjustment according to their calculations.

And as of now upgrade to graphite shaft.

Any input?  I plan to place the order as soon as tonight.

Its important to look at the weight of the golf shaft as well. I agree, that a heavier shaft will naturally be stiffer, only when comparing same brand and model though. I have a Diayama golf shaft in my driver, its stiff flex, but its about 76 grams, pretty heavy for a driver shaft.

I prefer steel in my irons, just like the feel of them better, think there's less dampening between the clubhead and the hands with a steel shaft than a graphite.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I prefer steel in my irons, just like the feel of them better, think there's less dampening between the clubhead and the hands with a steel shaft than a graphite.

When you get about age 50, the dampening is something you want to prevent tendon fatigue and damage. Graphite shafts give some cushioning; also, you can try Sensicore inserts, and softer grips like the Winn Dri-Tac (I have steel + Dri-Tac).

May you have a long and healthy golf career, saevel25!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just switched to graphite shafts in my irons a month ago.  I'm in my mid 40s and have a driver swing speed of 90.

The regular flex graphite shafts are working very well for me.  I am getting better distance than i did with my regular flex steel irons. I think that is because graphite shafted irons have a longer club length than the steel shafts I was using.

But in general I do think you can benefit from graphite shafts especially if you think a lighter weight club would fit your swing style.

Well Its done.  Finally pulled the trigger, went with the Z4's at gigagolf.

And I choose to go with graphite shaft.

Everything else per their "E-fit" system.

I am hoping to gain a little distance but retain the forgiveness of the clubs.

I have been away from the game for almost seven years, in part due to a shoulder and elbow injury that gave me problems for

two years.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!