IGNORED

Favorite golf games

JKilgore44
Note: This thread is 6111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not sure if there's been a post for this particular subject yet so I decided to start one. I'm intrested to hear what everyones favorite golf "games" are. We usually play 5-5-5, which is $5 for the winner of the front nine, $5 winner of the back nine, $5 winner of the whole match, plus $5 for birdies. It's an easy game to make a little cash on, but you can also lose a lot to! We also play wolf from time to time, or play a little low-ball, usually it depends on who comes out to play that day.

Share your favorite games or your favorite way to make some money on the golf course. It's always fun mixing it up out on the course!
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

• Administrator
We usually play 5-5-5, which is $5 for the winner of the front nine, $5 winner of the back nine, $5 winner of the whole match, plus $5 for birdies.

You'll also hear that called a $5 nassau (except the "$5 for birdies" part).

I play nassaus a lot, yeah, but I really like to play Vegas if people are willing to bet. Even a nickel a point can turn into an exciting game. Gotta have four people of course. Low handicappers tend to dislike games like bingo-bango-bongo. I don't even remember what they are: bingo is first on the green (they'll win a few of these, but since they usually drive beyond the others, others will have the chance to do so first), bango is closest to the pin when all are on the green and that stinks because usually someone else who chips will win that one rather than the guy who hit with a 7-iron from 160, and bongo is first in: someone else usually sinks a longer putt (even if it's his third) than the tap-in the low-handicapper leaves himself. I know sometimes it works out, but in general, that's how that seems to play out in my experience. I shoot my handicap and win a whole eight points the entire round (out of 48). Mostly, though, I just like to play golf. If I'm thinking about scoring "points" somehow, my strategy changes subtly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never played any betting games while on the course, but the $5 thing sounds like a good idea. Basically each player gives the winner the amount right?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Usually play a game called "I Win" for $20 a hole.

$360 in 4hrs isn't too bad.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Usually play a game called "I Win" for $20 a hole.

It can also be

-$360

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

It can also be

re-read the name of the game

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

so a nassau is front/back/total format, paying out to the respective winner? Did not know that

Bingo-bango-bongo sounds a little confusing, but could be fun with good players. I really prefer to scramble if we're betting money. I like two vs two style games. My buddie and I tend to stack up big time when we're playing together. We're both 13 handicaps but we'll take on just about anyone and play well (except you Iacas)

Anyone else with good games?

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:

Usually I play a $10 nassau (front and back - we don't play for the whole game). Sometimes a dollar on longest drives. And, occasionally, a dollar bet on a low-percentage shot.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Nines is a fun game.

Nines:

Three player game. Points awarded to each player to equal nine points per hole, each point can be worth whatever you want. We do $1/point. Lets say:

Player A gets a par, Player B gets a bogey and Player C gets a double. Since Player A got the best score he gets 5 points, Player B (second best score) gets 3 points, and Player C gets 1 point. 5+3+1=9

How about if:

Player A and B both get birdie, and C gets a par. Players A and B both get 4 points and C gets 1. 4+4+1=9

Or:

Player A gets a par, and Players B and C get bogey. Player A gets 5 points, B and C get 2 points. 5+2+2=9

The kicker. If any player beats both opponents by 2 shots, that player gets all 9 points.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

that one sounds cool. I'm playing that tomorrow. So best score gets most, worst score gets one, and ties split scores?
What I play:

Where I play:

Nines sounds pretty cool.

I am going on a golf trip next weekend and one of the games we play is Pink Ball. Like the name suggests you are using a Pink Ball and it can be played with as few as 4 guys, but it's best when you have multiple foursomes. Each foursome gets 1 sleeve of Pink Balls. The order is set on the first tee. After each hole the ball goes to the next player. It is a regular stroke play round where you keep your own score on each hole. However, the player with the pink ball counts his individual score for that hole and also records it as the team score for the pink ball. At the end of 18 holes the team with the low score wins. This is however assuming they come back with at least one Pink Ball. You should see guys running to see where a stray ball lands when the team is down to it's last ball. We had one that was hit about 20 yards into the woods and we had to play our last one as a provisional. I litterally climbed over a fallen tree to get our ball back. We even waived a group through when we were looking for one. When they came through we told them we were hunting for a $240 ball (each guy put in $20 at the start and there were 12 guys).
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Does anybody know any games for three people? I'm playing in a family tournament before a wedding this weekend and we have 6 people, two three man teams.

Yeah, check out my reply on the bottom of the first page. Game is called nines.
that one sounds cool. I'm playing that tomorrow. So best score gets most, worst score gets one, and ties split scores?

Ye'sir, so long as the total equals 9!

Well, the worst isn't always 1pt. in the case that the worst score is a tie the scores are 5+2+2 for 9.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Las Vegas. A bit complicated to explain, but if you stick with my explaination, and take it to the course, you should pick it up quick. It's a 4 player game. LOTS of money to be made.

Flip a tee to choose order on the first tee. The player who plays first is Player 1, second guy is player 2, third guy 3, fourth guy 4.

Player 1 and Player 4 are partners. 2 and 3 are partners. So, Player 1 gets a 4 on a hole, player 4 gets 5, Their team score is 45. Player 2 gets a 5 and player 3 gets a 6, their score is 56. (The low number of a team is always first) That's a difference of 11 points. You can make a point worth whatever.

Now, the teams rotate based on the player's scores. Using the honors system, because Player 1 got a 4, he's still player 1. Player 2 happens to still be 2 with his 5 on the hole (again he's still P2 'cause of the honors), but Player 3 and 4 swapped because of their scores. (P3 got the 6, P4 with a 5) So now the teams are Player 1 and 3, and 2 and 4. This continues throughout the round. There are instances where the teams will stay the same.

Birdies and eagles. (This is where it gets expensive) Using the new teams P1 with P3 and P2 with P4. Let's say P1 birdied a par 3 for a 2, his partner got a par (3), their score is 23. Tema P2 and P4, both parred, 3 and 3 is 33. the difference is 10, but, becasue of the birdie, you double the point spread. giving P1 and P3 20 points instead of the 10. In the case where both partners birdie, you double for the first birdie, take that total, and double it again for the second birdie. For an eagle you triple the score.

I was introduced to this game when I worked on a course in Japan. we played for 1,000yen a point, that's about $11.50. One day my partner and I went eagle birdie on a par 4 where the other team crapped on themselves and went bogey double bogey. On that hole alone, we made about $260 each.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I really wish my friends were better at golf so we could play some of these. I'm an 18, and my friends don't keep handicaps, but my 3 best golfing partners are probably 24-27ish. It makes it tough to play these games, even if money isn't involved.

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

I don't know what it's called but my Grandpa plays this way with his buddy (probably better for mid-high handicappers):
skins, we'll say 25 cents.

winner of each hole wins 25 cents, tie carries over, but while this is happening, you can still get a skin for:

greenie: pay 25 cents to guy who hit ball onto green on first shot on a par 3 and gets par or better

poley: pay guy who sinks putt longer than flag stick.

sandy: pay guy who gets par or better on a hole where he has been in the sand

snake: guy who 3 putts pays other guy

...Just a fun little game for the course.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

I really wish my friends were better at golf so we could play some of these. I'm an 18, and my friends don't keep handicaps, but my 3 best golfing partners are probably 24-27ish. It makes it tough to play these games, even if money isn't involved.

I think a good game for you guys to play would be a match play event amongst yourselves. Match play is fun for high handicap players. Let the strokes fall where they may. You could have playoffs and a final between the four of you. Like your own ryder cup! Match play is tailormade for non money type of play. It's a pure test against two players. Winning bragging rights is much more satisfying than winning money. At least I think.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Nines is a fun game, but can get expensive if someone has an off day.

If you have 2 3somes, then play a match against each other and take the low 1 or 2 balls of the 3 against the other team's 1 or 2 low balls. Probably want to handicap it somewhat.

For example, team 1 has two 4's and a 6...team 2 had a 4 and two 5's. Team 1 would have 8 and team 2 would have 9 and team 1 wins the hole. You can play a nassau with that as well.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Note: This thread is 6111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!