IGNORED

Lithium Batteries

Lookingfortruth
Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am considering buying a Lithium battery for my golf trolley. However I am getting conflicting views on charging, can you advise.

Question 1..I'm told the battery should be disconnected from the charger as soon as possible after charging. I would like to charge my battery using a time switch in that the charging process (power supply) will be automatically cut off after a given period but would still leave the battery connected to the charger albeit in a power off position. Is this acceptable practice?

Question 2. I have actually been told that you "can" leave the battery on permanent charge until later use as in the case with standard lead acid batteries. Is this true?

Thank you so much for your help.

Google "battery university". Easy to understand and detailed explanations about all types of batteries.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As some may have noticed I posed a question on Lithium batteries…The reason for the posting on this and other Forums is because the Manufacturer of my recent and very expensive purchase LITEPOWER refused / has failed to respond to my two simple questions. Ergo, anyone thinking of buying from LITEPOWER or any Lithium Battery should think long and hard in my opinion.

This is my experience. I bought a battery through my Pro shop having seen it on the Web the provider as I said…LITEPOWER. The battery includes a 5 year limited warranty. After reading their user instructions I had a couple of questions.

A: Could I charge the battery using a time controlled socket.

B: Once charged do you actually have to disconnect the battery from the charger even though the power is OFF!

A couple of simple enough questions I think you will agree. I and my questions have been completely ignored by the supplier. You have to ask yourself what is it they are hiding if they will not put answers to these simple questions in writing. In the end I had to resort to getting my Pro involved to get the answers. ( Pro’s don’t seem to know much about these batteries either. )

The answers that came back.

Question A:No

Question B:Yes…. it was that simple.. or is it?

I got this from the internet.

They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last two or three years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not. They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would. If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined. There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I paid £200 for the battery. I could have bought 4 Standard batteries for the same money. There are even cheaper lead Acid batteries out there that will power your trolley. You can do the maths.

Some of the rules----

I have to keep my battery within certain temperature ranges that prevent me from charging it in the garage during cold spells. Even if you could charge in an out house. You would also be running in and out several times to check if it was time to disconnect the thing. It’s going to clutter up the kitchen.

You can’t charge it on a soft surface ie carpet. ( one has to assume risk of fire ) While if charging it outside the house is a nuisance as I said.

I have to remember to go and switch it off and unplug the thing once charged. That can take between 2 & 4.5 hours how often do you go and check it?.. No more stick it in the garage on charge and forget till next time.

They talk about a charging fan being fully functional and being uncovered. ( there is no fan ) the whole battery is encased in a thick carry bag.

And the rules go on and on. Oh how I wish I had just bought a lead acid.

As I said think long and hard.

Best regards to all

I do not know how cold is your garage

Quote from Charging instructions:
It must be charged in a well-ventilated area at temperatures ranging between 0°C and 35°C

Perhaps your question about time controlled socket was understood wrongly. If you want to be this pedantic then set time controlled socket to 5 hours and be done with it.

Quote:
They talk about a charging fan being fully functional and being uncovered. ( there is no fan ) the whole battery is encased in a thick carry bag.

Charger has a fan, not the battery.

What if you go and read instructions about lead acid batteries and their charging. You would not want those either.

Hi IUU5,

First things first.. I was expressing my views and my experience as a recent purchaser there are no doubt other opinions out there. That’s why I said think long and hard.

Turning to you comments….

A: Your comments are very selective.

B: The instructions leaflet I have refers to the chargING fan not the chargERS fan. As someone with no technical knowledge I interpreted that as a component of the battery. You might like to call that pedantic but with a claimed 5 year warranty on the line. I want to be pedantic with how I treat my new £200 purchase.

C: My garage can and does go sub zero in the winter. Frequently.

You say ( Perhaps your question about time controlled socket was understood wrongly. If you want to be this pedantic then set time controlled socket to 5 hours and be done with it.) No it wasn’t misunderstood it was as clear as day, for as you say I am pedantic. Even if it was misunderstood if you read “pedantically” all that I have written you will note that my main complaint was that the company LITEPOWER would not communicate with me in any way whatsoever.

You conclude: What if you go and read instructions about lead acid batteries and their charging. You would not want those either.

Again you miss the point: My posting is about Lithium batteries not a comparison poll.

I have now been told through my club pro’s intervention. Nothing in writing of course what have they to hide?

A: You must disconnect the charger immediately the battery is charged therefore one is constantly going to check.

B: Under no circumstances should a time switch be used;

And here’s a surprise. My battery currently takes two hours to charge…so much for your 5 hours. ( and that's over a 6800 yards course + distance between tees)

Enjoy your golf.

lol, it is the indian, not the arrow.

Have you tried to call Litepower?

You obviously missed my earlier posting I wrote 3 times and “called” once. How much time is one expected to waste on these people. I also wanted a written response. Clearly they did not want to give this...again what do they have to hide!

I’m assuming your reference to the Indian means it’s you that needs to improve and not the clubs. …Which is basically what I’m inferring. You might get a better result with easier to hit clubs. Would also suggest you drop the 3 iron but that can be an age issue as the longer irons become a bit more difficult to hit as you get older.

Enjoy your golf.

• 8 months later...

STEWART Golf use Litepower Lithium Batteries and state the following:

Can I leave my battery connected to the charger or do I have to disconnect when green?
Disconnecting the charger after charging is the “right” thing to do. However, if the
battery is going to be used regularly (i.e. every 5-7 days) it is quite safe to leave the
battery and charger connected. The BMS inside the battery will prevent any damage,
but it’s a bit like leaving your TV on standby so should be avoided for long periods.

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!