IGNORED

People who honk 0.000001 seconds after the light turns green

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

Actually, traffic studies show that traffic flows better when drivers in the merging lane go to the end of that lane and then get over. People getting over en masse a half mile ahead cause traffic to back up much father back.

Here's the thing, how often does that happen?

Also, your comparing apples to oranges, your not saying people in mass merge at the end of the merge lane. Then you compare it to a mass of people merging over at once. That's two totally different scenarios.

I drive on two major highways in Ohio between Dayton and NE Ohio. Bother of them go from 3 lanes to 2 lanes. No one shifts lane in mass over. Its not like they all decide, ooh lets all get over. People get over based on there driving style. Conservative drivers will get over earlier, non-conservative will get over later. Its based on a wide spectrum. Yes, at any point if a whole group of people shift over your going to have problems. It also depends on traffic flow. Since majority of all traffic studies are done at peak hours in the day, meaning highest volumes. What causes backups is just pure volume. Its like water flowing through a funnel. If you increase the flow so much that the exit rate is less than the entry rate, your going to get a back up. So if you have 3 lanes of near saturation traffic flow, and one lane drops, now 1/3rd of your traffic has to shift into a lane nearly full of its capacity. See the problem, doesn't matter were it happens, your going to get back up traffic because people will slam on there breaks, and things will slowly pass as cars slowly make there way in.

I get the theory, overall if you have people spread that merge over the entire length of the warning area. Lets say uniform distribution from 1/2 mile from merge to merge. Its easier on the other drivers, than say a ton of cars forcing there way right. Also the more down the merge your going to get more people moving to the right lane from the 2nd lane to make room as well. honestly i do this more often because i know that the 2nd lane will back up more often than not, so i ride the slow lane, it gets better flow.

But generalizing in your statement doesn't cover the total conditions or just the overall problem that your loosing 33% of your traffic capacity during peak hours.

When it comes to lighter traffic, it really doesn't matter because there suffecient room for the extra capacity. You might get some unique scenarios were a car cuts infront of another, but that can happen anywere.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the hands-free device hindering driving, I stopped by the nearby Starbucks close to work this morning. Some guy was talking on his bluetooth standing outside and as he was getting into his car (still talking on his BT) he starts up and in his attempt to back up his SUV, he mistakenly puts it into drive and presses the gas. The front of his SUV nearly jumped the curb and scared some passers by. Luckily no one was hurt.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I have an issue with anyone who honks seemingly BECAUSE the lights turn green. Hate the bastards. So I've simply started putting the handbrake on and waiting for the following green. It's led to a fair few confrontations, but the war of words is always won by me :)

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Going back to the hands-free device hindering driving, I stopped by the nearby Starbucks close to work this morning. Some guy was talking on his bluetooth standing outside and as he was getting into his car (still talking on his BT) he starts up and in his attempt to back up his SUV, he mistakenly puts it into drive and presses the gas. The front of his SUV nearly jumped the curb and scared some passers by. Luckily no one was hurt.

I remember i was driving home from work, sometimes i bop on the local freeway through town, my exit is like 2 exits down. So i was driving, and i look over and this woman has her hands on the wheel close to the top, and a phone held up as she was texting. It was like a slow motion thing, she starts drifting into my lane. I slam on the horn, god she looks up, then just almost flies into other lane on the right side of her, because she over corrected. I of course slowed down, just incased she double corrected and went flying into my lane again. Idiots.

So just curious, lets say, how long would you wait at a green before you honk a horn?

For me, its register its green, look down to the car infront of me, is it moving. Wait a few seconds, then give a slight easy honk, just a tap of the horn. So that would be 3-4 seconds max.

Given most minimum green times are 8-10 seconds. So most side streets will run pretty short, unless the advanced loop is detecting traffic, then it extends the green more. so, 3-4 seconds is a long time when comparing greens. Main roads usually get anywere from 30-50 seconds of green time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Originally Posted by saevel25

For me, its register its green, look down to the car infront of me, is it moving. Wait a few seconds, then give a slight easy honk, just a tap of the horn.

LOL, this brings up a related issue.  I wish that cars would have a couple of different horns.  When I'm trying to just grab somebody's attention (like the above, or in a parking lot, or wherever) when they are not moving but should be, I'd like to be able to give a more "polite" honk than, say, when somebody is about to back or drift into me.  Having a Chevy SUV, it's hard to honk without them interpreting my attitude to be pissed off, simply based on the volume and pitch of my horn. ;)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

LOL, this brings up a related issue.  I wish that cars would have a couple of different horns.  When I'm trying to just grab somebody's attention (like the above, or in a parking lot, or wherever) when they are not moving but should be, I'd like to be able to give a more "polite" honk than, say, when somebody is about to back or drift into me.  Having a Chevy SUV, it's hard to honk without them interpreting my attitude to be pissed off, simply based on the volume and pitch of my horn. ;)

God that would be funny, i think people would have way to much fun on that.

Like i always wish my smartphone could tell if someone wasn't talking full English, like calling the customer service for computer support, and you get the India guy. I want my phone to get the Samuel L. Jackson quote from Pulp Fiction, "English Mother F.... do you speak it"

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Like i always wish my smartphone could tell if someone wasn't talking full English, like calling the customer service for computer support, and you get the India guy. I want my phone to get the Samuel L. Jackson quote from Pulp Fiction, "English Mother F.... do you speak it"

Haha! I will download that app.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

So just curious, lets say, how long would you wait at a green before you honk a horn?

For me, its register its green, look down to the car infront of me, is it moving. Wait a few seconds, then give a slight easy honk, just a tap of the horn. So that would be 3-4 seconds max.

Given most minimum green times are 8-10 seconds. So most side streets will run pretty short, unless the advanced loop is detecting traffic, then it extends the green more. so, 3-4 seconds is a long time when comparing greens. Main roads usually get anywere from 30-50 seconds of green time.

I would say that 3-4 seconds is good allotted time for some green-light-horn-honkage.

In San Francisco, most of the traffic lights are timed and only a few run on traffic sensors. So it's fairly predictable how long you have (just look at the crosswalk timer). Where I work, it's mostly run on traffic sensors so if you're trailing far behind the last car on a green light, you can almost assume the light will turn yellow on you. But if the traffic lines are full, then on a turn lane, it's about 10-15 seconds and on a main road, well over 30.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

I get frustrated when I have the cruise control on while driving on a highway, I pass a car, a few miles later, that same car passes me. Sure enough, this other car eventually slows down and I end up passing it again. On longer trips, you can end up passing the same car 3 or 4 times while having your cruise set at the same speed the entire time.

I'm not sure why this gets under my skin, but, c'mon people, I don't want to play an automobile version of leapfrog with you on the highway...

What gets me are the people who jump in and out of different lanes, trying to get ahead of others.  I used to commute into DC.  One day, as we were leaving DC in our van pool, we see a car just behind us jumping across lanes, jockeying for position.  All the way home we see him doing this again and again.  By the time we made the 40 mile drive, he was all of three cars ahead of us.  How much time did you really save Buddy???

Originally Posted by davedove

What gets me are the people who jump in and out of different lanes, trying to get ahead of others.  I used to commute into DC.  One day, as we were leaving DC in our van pool, we see a car just behind us jumping across lanes, jockeying for position.  All the way home we see him doing this again and again.  By the time we made the 40 mile drive, he was all of three cars ahead of us.  How much time did you really save Buddy???

This would rarely be an issue if people only used the "passing lane" for passing and then got back into the right lane. I see far too many people who use the left lane as a travel lane and hold up traffic. Get left to pass, and then get back in the right lane. People seem to think if they are going the speed limit in the left lane that they have a right to stay there. It is not your job to block the left lane to keep others from speeding.

Originally Posted by VOX

This would rarely be an issue if people only used the "passing lane" for passing and then got back into the right lane. I see far too many people who use the left lane as a travel lane and hold up traffic. Get left to pass, and then get back in the right lane. People seem to think if they are going the speed limit in the left lane that they have a right to stay there. It is not your job to block the left lane to keep others from speeding.

What if there are a ton of people in the right lane, and you just keep passing them, there might be some spots you would get over, but you would have to get over again a few seconds later?

Believe it doesn't happen, it does in Ohio. I've been on roadways were i would consider myself constantly passing someone. It happens they drive the speed limit and i drive 10-15 over the speed limit. I'm not just going to bop over just to pass someone again 2 seconds later. I wont do it while there's rush hour traffic, there just isn't anywere to go, and that's pointless, but on moderately congested freeways, it happens a lot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Originally Posted by VOX

Maybe, but this was rush hour DC traffic.  For all practical purposes, there is no such thing as a passing lane.  Every lane is filled with traffic.

Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!