IGNORED

Ugh Dont look at the scorecard.

Finn07
Note: This thread is 6126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone who has read Rotellas book "Golf is not a game of Perfect" knows what I am talking about. Today Im playing and I am even par after seven holes, cruising along, and my playing partner looks at me after I drain a birdie putt and says, "Your even par." The next 11 holes I went 9 over and shot 79. I told him following the round I never want to know where I stand, I just want to play and figure it out at the end. Ugh....
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Yeah, its one way to immeadiately ruin your day if you ask me. I added up my score after 17 once...lets just say I'm never doing that again.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I feel your pain.....been there.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

you should learn how to handle playing well, knowing your score shouldnt be a problem, you just need to be mentally stronger. Youll never be able to go really low if you are uncomfortable doing it, you need to get used to it.

Everyones been there. Dont do that.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I was actually did that today on purpose.. I was golfing HORRIBLY. Absolutely horrible. A 50 through 8 holes on a par 32 front 9. It was just terrible. I ended up parring the last hole actually, and ended up getting a 94 on the day [53 and 44]. The reason I was doing soo poorly was because I was bringing it back like a baseball swing, and not a golf swing. Once my dad noticed it, it was all down hill. My highest score for one hole on the back 9 was a 6 on a 600 par 5.

Still havent gotten a birdy yet, though :(

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

Sometimes it helps me, usually it doesn't, knowing I need (x) score to get (y) result. Usually it's to break 40 for 9, or something like that. It depends how I feel that day. If I'm really relaxed, then knowing where I am doesn't matter - but at least I know what I need. Normally though, it'll cause me to choke - really badly. It isn't pretty when I need double to break 40 for 9...and get a quad. Or something like that.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Usually, if I need to pick up a stroke or two on my brother in-law, I just tell him his score.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

for the high capper theres nothing more destroying in his round then too know where he stands after each and every hole imho, those of you who have the low caps are basically consistent players to where you know going into a hole unless you BLOW it up, your at least getting bogey on it, where we (high cappers) are looking for something other then a snowman.....imo when you are a pretty consistent player, knowing your score after each hole, around the turn, etc.... really won't determine your final score.

• Administrator
you should learn how to handle playing well, knowing your score shouldnt be a problem, you just need to be mentally stronger. Youll never be able to go really low if you are uncomfortable doing it, you need to get used to it.

I agree with this. I can know where I am without it affecting me very much. It's certainly something I've learned to do. Pros talk about how when they are going low they just keep the pedal to the metal to see how low they can go.

You can let knowing your score affect you, or you can not let it affect you. The choice is yours, and I really believe it's that simple... but still really tough to learn. Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't help but think about where I am and what I'm looking for.

Even if someone else is keeping the scorecard it still seems to automatically add itself in my head, not that it really affects me.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Maybe I should have rephrased the name of the thread, im not sure if some of you read what I wrote in the beginning, I didnt physically look at the scorecard, my playing partner told me exactly where I was. I definitely knew I was going low but once I heard an exact number I guess it bothered me. At no time was I adding up scores saying do this or do that, but apparently it got to me cause +9 for the next 11 holes shows.

Iacas is right its difficult to ingrain in your head but something that is definitely necessary if you want to play your best golf.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Maybe I should have rephrased the name of the thread, im not sure if some of you read what I wrote in the beginning, I didnt physically look at the scorecard, my playing partner told me exactly where I was. I definitely knew I was going low but once I heard an exact number I guess it bothered me.

I guess what I'm saying here is that I don't need to see a scorecard to know EXACTLY where I'm at, I just know without even really thinking about it.

"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

I don't look at my scorecard anymore and I tell my partner not to mention anything about my round until the end, unless it's a 'you've been striking the ball well today' comment. Then I seem to play much better.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I agree that we need to be able to "deal with" knowing our scores. I only play recreational golf, so it's not as important to know it, but I have found myself in the position of realizing I'm in the middle of a good round than - ZAP - I start to ruin it.

I believe it all comes down to feeling confident on your game - or rather, to trust in your particular level of play, and that you can play to that level regardless of the situation.

Hey - if you can play one hole at par.... why not the next.... Hard to do!!!!! But its a good thought...

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

For me its a little different I guess. If I'm over par I want to know where I'm at, but If I'm under I dont want to know. Yesterday I was -2 through 7 and then exploded when people started telling how low I could go today, and managed an 8 on the par 5 8th.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Note: This thread is 6126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!