IGNORED

Driver, 3 - 5 on a $200 budget - opinions?

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 3869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife had me all excited by saying she was going to get me a matching driver, 3 and 5 wood set for my birthday.
I started looking around and getting ideas, then she told me my budget would be about $200.
I had planned to spend $200 on the driver alone.

Do I stand a prayer of getting any sort of good, matched set for $200.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Absolutely.  Check out Globalgolf.com.  If you are ok with a year or two old model, you should be fine with that budget.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely.  The truth is that the technology has really not changed THAT much over the past few years and as 14ledo said, just get some that are a few years old.  Based upon what you are playing now, you are going to have to take a club or two out of your bag if you get all three.  Keep in mind, depending on how you play, you don't need all three woods.  You could play just the 3, or the 5, or get a 4 wood.  Its worth thinking about how many times you would actually hit the 3 or 5 vs. one (or two) of the other clubs  that you would have to take out.

Yep.  Nothing wrong with used clubs, and while a matched set is nice, it isn't mandatory.  If you're pretty happy with your current fairways maybe what you really want is a newish driver, people are always swapping them out and $200 should get you a pretty nice late model club.

I have been carrying a driver, 4 and 7 for some time, and only hit the four once or twice per round (though this is largely a function of the course I usually play).  But a 4 will do the job of a 3 and 5 for a lot of golfers.  The 7 sits in place of a 3 iron because I can hit it better than any hybrid I have tried to date.  1, 3 and 5 are a very common mix, but I'm just saying you don't have to stick with that if something else fits your game better.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Don't really have any fairway woods. I have a $20 driver from Wal-Mart and I go straight to my 4 iron after that.
I don't have any problems with older models.
This is encouraging! I'm excited again. Thanks guys!

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I personally went the Gigagolf route, as I had a 250 budget for my irons, and needed club adjustment. Picked up 5-P, 52, 58... very happy with quality. I'm by no means any good as a golfer, but hit them as good as anyone else I saw on the range.

I've found incredible deals on CL. you could look on eBay but everyone Does that and prices are almost always market value. CL is people trying to unload stuff quick willing to take less then market value

Plenty of good online dealers will have decent deals on clubs that should work in your budget, if there's no Golfsmith or other chain around where you can go shopping.

For less than $200, here's a brand new Adams driver and 3 wood combo, since you were asking about matched clubs

http://www.3balls.com/product-productid/455016/ADAMS-MENS-SPEEDLINE-FAST-12-WOODS-DRIVERS-RH-NEW

http://www.3balls.com/product-productid/455005/ADAMS-MENS-SPEEDLINE-FAST-12-WOODS-FAIRWAY-RH-NEW

If you go gently used, you can definitely get some great deals. I'm partial to 3Balls as I've bought some gear from them and was very happy with quality and price. But you can find other very reputable dealers (again, if you have to shop online) where you can find great prices and selections.

Russ B.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I check pawn shops. I live north of Houston and drive all over the area during work hours. I've found used Taylor Made, Titleist and Callaway sets. As well as so many other cheaper sets. I've never bought a new club. If you have the time it's a great way to get good deals. Most of the time they will bargain if you have cash if they are tired of seeing them sitting there. If you have neither the time or patience Craig's list is always good. I just worry about people with bad intentions. If you are meeting someone to buy an item off CL always go with a friend. Preferably one that won't run when the SHTF!!

Forget the 5 wood.  Most people I play with don't carry them anymore.  I think since hybrids came along the defacto driver, 3 wood, 5 wood bag combo has become a thing of the past.  If I had that kinda money I'd be getting myself fit for a quality 3 wood.  To each his own... but my Burner 5 wood is collecting dust and has been for 2 years.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

You might check out Rockbottomgolf.com, too. I've found some stuff there at pretty good prices. It's all a couple years old, but still new.

Approaching "70"....age, not score...

Ping G5 10.5 driver and 3w, TFC 100 R

Maltby H3, H4, H5, Maltby Pro Series R

Pinhawk SL 6i-Aw, Maltby Pro Series R

Maltby TSW 54 & 58, Maltby Pro Series S (tip trimmed to 8i length for the "spinner shaft" effect...experiment that seems to be one of my better decisions!)

Maltby Pure-Track PTM-1, 33" with +2* loft added

• 2 weeks later...
You could get a very decent pre-owned driver and I suggest a 4-wood. Or shop around like at Walmart, Sports Authority, I found my Adams Titanium Tight Lies High Launch driver at Walmart brand new for $40. And the thing that you may want to consider is not having to have two fairway woods. A 4-wood, for me, is the perfect long fairway club and my Ping G20 is long enough for hitting into par 5s and easy to hit off the tee as well. As far as matching set, since the driver swing is different than fairway woods you may find that it isn't that big of deal. It's all personal choice of course. Good luck and happy golfing!

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Note: This thread is 3869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!