IGNORED

Exercise in Addition to Golf?

Mhinderaker
Note: This thread is 6109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious what you guys do in addition to golf to help stay in shape.

Personally here I have been riding an exercise bike on a pretty high resistance for a couple of hours most days, a little bit of weight lifting (with lightweight weights, only like 15 pounds, mainly hammer curls) and a lot of crunches, reverse crunches, push-ups, and things like that.

Since I have started doing this I have noticed a great increase in my energy during the last few holes of a round and I believe if I can continue to do this as well as working on my mental game and swing mechanics I can propel myself to the next level.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

When I can keep a schedule of some sort I mix up weights and cardio. My weight routine is typically moderate weight exercises where I get in 10-12 reps but not to failure for three sets. I work mostly upper body with some squats, leg curls, and leg extensions if I have the equipment handy.

When I get consistent with my workouts for at least one month I see a dramatic improvement in my strength, energy, and even a little more distance on the course.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I can keep a schedule of some sort I mix up weights and cardio. My weight routine is typically moderate weight exercises where I get in 10-12 reps but not to failure for three sets. I work mostly upper body with some squats, leg curls, and leg extensions if I have the equipment handy.

Same here. I used to be into weightlifting, but with golf consuming so much time, I just try to get in 3 - 4 workouts a week at about 45 mins a session. The gained strength is good, but I also like to stretch and keep loose and flexible. When in college on the squash team, we used to do yoga - if you think its for sissys try out an advanced session. It's very rigorous and the winding down relaxation at the end always put me to sleep - soooooo relaxing and good for your body and soul (I am not a hippie

). As for cardio, I feel too much like a hampster running on a treadmill, so I will try to engage in a fun sport that requires aerobic respiration. My cardio of choice is squash.

I lift a lot, especially with free weights. And some cardio. But that's about it.

I work on everything when lifting - and I can see the results - I've added a hundred yards to my drives this year.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I lift a lot, especially with free weights. And some cardio. But that's about it.

you make it sound so easy. How many yards did you start with? I started out hitting my drives about 250, 260 when I started and now hit about 280, 290 - would most likely never have gained 100 yards. How many pounds of muscle did you gain from lifting? I am guessing not all 100 yards are from strength gain. Also do you feel you lost some flexibility? hehe so many questions.

Other than stretching, I do medicine ball, hammer curls, flys, and stairmaster. I also do some machines to support the same muscles as the other exercises mentioned, although I shouldn't (they feel easier, and as such, as probably a bad idea).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Other than stretching, I do medicine ball, hammer curls, flys, and stairmaster. I also do some machines to support the same muscles as the other exercises mentioned, although I shouldn't (they feel easier, and as such, as probably a bad idea).

Machines aren't necessarily not as good. They can isolate and target specific muscle groups. As long as your goals aren't to become arnold, you can reap plenty of benefits from a workout with machines. Just don't forget to hit the free weights once in a while. A workout I used to go through was to use free weights for any given muscle group (I used to have a chest/shoulder, back/bi, legs/tri day etc) and the towards the end of the workout move to the appropriate machines. This will make sure you incorporate ancillary muscle groups but also "wear" out the muscles with the targeted machines.

Machines aren't necessarily not as good. They can isolate and target specific muscle groups. As long as your goals aren't to become arnold, you can reap plenty of benefits from a workout with machines. Just don't forget to hit the free weights once in a while. A workout I used to go through was to use free weights for any given muscle group (I used to have a chest/shoulder, back/bi, legs/tri day etc) and the towards the end of the workout move to the appropriate machines. This will make sure you incorporate ancillary muscle groups but also "wear" out the muscles with the targeted machines.

Yeah, I misphrased it. I blame the heat, although it isn't that hot today. But I did play 36 holes of golf. In any case, the reason machines are a bad idea is precisely because they're easier, and therefore one might stick with them and disregard free weights. They aren't bad if used properly. But thanks for clarifying, and making sure I knew.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

you make it sound so easy. How many yards did you start with? I started out hitting my drives about 250, 260 when I started and now hit about 280, 290 - would most likely never have gained 100 yards. How many pounds of muscle did you gain from lifting? I am guessing not all 100 yards are from strength gain. Also do you feel you lost some flexibility? hehe so many questions.

At the beginning of the year I drove it about 180. That was partially responsible due to a driver that launched the ball way too high in the air and a swing where I slid sideways with my hips. I have gained about 20 lbs in muscle, but lost a similar amount in fat (I figured this using one of those fat scales). Today I averaged about 290 off the tee (although today I think was a fluke, I can safely say 280 nowadays).

Considering I wasn't on any exercise routine before, was severely out of shape, and about 100lbs overweight, I've actually gained flexibility. @5irondraw: Not that short, but I was pretty short...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I try to go to the gym 3-5 times a week, lift weights, and run a couple of miles each time. I then relax at the jacuzzi for 10-15 minutes and go swimming for about 30 minutes. It's good to go from hot to cold water. I also do a bit of abwork at home. In addition to that I play baseball for my high school, so I have condition and all that stuff when baseball season gets nearby.

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

I've described my routine in one of the other threads here recently (forget which one though). Pretty much start with cardio, 25 minutes on a treadmill. Then about 45 minutes with weights. With the onset of less and less sunlight in the day. I only get in the gym two times a week, three if I'm lucky. It's upsetting to think the days are getting shorter.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I try to go to the gym 3-5 times a week, lift weights, and run a couple of miles each time. I then relax at the jacuzzi for 10-15 minutes and go swimming for about 30 minutes. It's good to go from hot to cold water. I also do a bit of abwork at home. In addition to that I play baseball for my high school, so I have condition and all that stuff when baseball season gets nearby.

Wow, you must be in some serious good shape. That's a hell of a routine. What HS do you go to? I went to Chatsworth out here in L.A. We've always had a super good baselball team. I guess two guys from last year's team got drafted in the first round. Being in baseball, I'd imagine you can't play on the golf team too? Or do you?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Wow, you must be in some serious good shape. That's a hell of a routine. What HS do you go to? I went to Chatsworth out here in L.A. We've always had a super good baselball team. I guess two guys from last year's team got drafted in the first round. Being in baseball, I'd imagine you can't play on the golf team too? Or do you?

Peachtree HS, I'm not good enough to be on the golf team, but even if I was, I wouln't be able to because it's during spring :/

but yeah I've heard of a lot of guys out of chatsworth, seems like a really good High School

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

I run 3 days a week; anywhere between 6-12 km (about 4-8 miles) around a lake we have here. It's a great trail that is easier on the legs than running on pavement. It really helps conditioning over the last few holes.

I also play hockey (I'm an Oldtimer now (35+ league), so games only, no practices) once a week in summer and 2-3 times per week in the winter. This isn't always as good for the golf game. It's a great workout, but skating posture can be hard on the back and tighten things up. Stretching afterwards is key for me.

I also do some stretching and lite weights using a swiss ball and medicine ball (I fit this in whenever I have the chance, so not always consistently) and stretching. I took a 6 week course through our Parks and Recreation where a personal trainer set up a program specifically for golf. I have found for golf, when I do this regularly, it has the most positive impact on my game.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

In the last 14 months or so I have gotten back into lifting based around a power lifting type routine, squats, rows, benching, deadlifts, with some ancillary lower back/bis/tris work. That routine has made a huge difference in the way i hit the ball. I dont necessarily hit my irons a lot farther, but its easier to hit them the distance I do, in addition to having a lot more "in reserve" so to speak. Also just the overall way i hit the ball is better, a more powerful strike i guess.

I have picked up distance with the driver for sure though, I always had trouble hitting my driver a commensurate distance as my irons and that has improved quite a bit.

I am also probably more flexible than I ever was as I always stretch before I lift and its important to me to keep flexible. Adding muscle mass will never decrease flexibility unless you never stretch.

I do a light work-out for everyday that I'm not golfing. A lot of sit-ups and curls, but those are mostly for the female golfers to look at when I bomb a drive on the first tee

Usually use NXT Extreme's or HX Hot's
Soon to be Home Track : Grey Silo GC (71.5 / 128)

...but those are mostly for the female golfers to look at when I bomb a drive on the first tee

hahahah, That's a good one.

Hey, you're a Hogan man too! Alright!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!