IGNORED

Ball marker deliberately moved by competitor

Pat28
Note: This thread is 3816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In a stableford competition a player moved my ball marker without my permission in a hurry to put out. I forgot to replace it and properly incurred the penalty for playing from the wrong spot. However, I feel that he should also have been penalised for moving my marker in the first place.

I think you are correct that the competitor did not have authorization to move your mark and is subject to a penalty.  However, you need to make a timely claim.  Since the event is now over, best to just let it go but remember if it ever happens again.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I have to retract that earlier response.  I believe Stableford is consider a form a stroke play. I would think moving a competitor's marker would be treated the same way as unauthorized marking of a competitor's ball - no penalty.

20-1/4

Competitor's Ball Lifted Without Authority by Fellow-Competitor

Q.In stroke play, a fellow-competitor lifts a competitor's ball on the putting green without the authority of the competitor. Such action is contrary to Rule 20-1 . What is the ruling?

A.There is no penalty and the ball must be replaced (Rule 18-4 ).

Brian Kuehn

Thanks for that - I agree with your comments but it does seem somewhat odd as the unauthorised movement of ones marker, if abused, could cause problems on the course. Not that I am dwelling on the particular incident as it was a day of bad golf anyway and is best forgotten!

Thanks for that - I agree with your comments but it does seem somewhat odd as the unauthorised movement of ones marker, if abused, could cause problems on the course. Not that I am dwelling on the particular incident as it was a day of bad golf anyway and is best forgotten!

Further to the Decision above, the next Decision (20-1/5) says that the "player is not responsible for a breach of a Rule caused by the unauthorized lifting of his ball". The situation in the Decision is that the unauthorized person replaced a different ball, which the player then played. The player is not penalized for playing a substituted ball. By analogy, you should not be penalized for playing your ball from a wrong place when you had not authorized the moving of the marker and did not know it had been moved. (And yes, Stableford is a form of stroke play.)

In a stableford competition a player moved my ball marker without my permission in a hurry to put out. I forgot to replace it and properly incurred the penalty for playing from the wrong spot. However, I feel that he should also have been penalised for moving my marker in the first place.

The question is, were you aware that the marker had been moved?  If so then you were in breach.  if not then then there is no penalty.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The question is, were you aware that the marker had been moved?  If so then you were in breach.  if not then then there is no penalty.

The OP said he 'forgot to replace it'. Sounds like he knew.

Note: This thread is 3816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!