IGNORED

Tour Tempo

dale
Note: This thread is 6497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I think sometimes golf instruction magazines really have to reach for content. This may be one of those times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
FWIW, I recorded five swings of mine tonight on my DV camera (found some things I need to fix). But here are the results, in frames:

[pre] Back Down
1 24 8
2 24 8
3 24 8
4 24 8
5 24 8[/pre]

Guess I've got a pretty decent tempo. Now if I could fix the one or two other things...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I purchased the book last year and ripped the tracks off the CD onto my iPod so I could try practicing to a tempo. I immediately found I already had a 3:1 tempo (27/9). From that, I concluded "tour tempo" is more of a natural result for anyone with athletic ability. Just my humble opinion. Oh, this reminds me, I have been meaning to sell the book on e-bay.

Mike Jones

• Administrator

The claims people make about the thing though, wowee. I'm sorry, but changing the tempo of some people's swing is not going to eliminate the nastiness that is their reverse weight-shift, over-the-top, casting slap at the ball.

• 1 year later...
This tempo concept if for real and the book and CD helped me play better right away. Nothing is a "cure-all", but establishing and repeating a consistent tempo in the swing is essential to good performance. And the ratio between take away and down-swing is something I stumbled upon often, but could not always repeat. Now I have a tool that helps me find and hold onto that good rhythm.

I am a 6.4 handicap so I would expect an improvement in tempo to yield immediate results. With some hesitation, I tried the concept on my son who is just learning to play and seldom makes solid contact with the ball. To my surprise, the tempo concept helped him within minutes. He still has to get the club face square and release his hands better at impact, but a consistent tempo based on the 27/9 formula helped him make better contact. I am sure with a few more sessions this tempo will help him lower his scores more quickly than he could otherwise.

SubPar

Great article, I read it, went to the range with a different approach, hit the ball great. Playing Bethpage Black at 11:03 with better tempo cause god knows ill need it. Good post.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I wonder if this is really a way to improve your game or just a way to play the best you can with the game you have. What Tiger calls being ranger rick, so many mid and high handicappers really don't play to the skill level they have developed when actually on the course.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Just by reading that article and going to the range for one session, I can already see improvement in my ball striking and my tee shots with my driver. Especially the point where one of the old school players say they liked to feel "oily" when they swing.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I am interested to get on the range tomorrow afternoon and try out the 3 to 1 ratio back and through. I struggle with tempo all the time. Lately, it has been pretty good, but I can sure get quick from the top when I am nervous. If I could have any swing, Freddie Couples would be my choice.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!