IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/WVYmgnY5FrY[/VIDEO] Swing thought.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played 15 holes after work, and hit a few balls with one of the people I play with in the mornings.

Got better balance by simply sticking out my butt. My drives are now all in balance no matter how fast I swing. If I swing too fast I tend to torque/spin past my back flexibility limit, though. Drives seem more solid at least for the time being. Now I need to work out the 6i to 4i and my hybrids and 3W. At this point, I'm not comfortable hitting any of the long clubs except off the tee, good thing I hardly ever use them.

60 degree is agreeable with full swings, but I haven't figured out how to get repeatable partial swings yet.

The swing thought above actually works for me!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/A9m3k0x7C0o[/VIDEO] Working on trying to chip closer.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Full swing 5 shots from PW (left) to 6i. 6i is still crap.

I hit a lot more shots with the 9i and 7i probably 20+ per club. Not sure why my dispersion is so high on the 9i?

Ball striking is still an issue with everything except the PW and 8i. Surprised that they were that good, especially the PW (Figures that it's in the wrong spot, of course).

I still hit my 6i to 4i like crap, but at least I am starting to get a tiny bit better with the 6i. There's hope.

The more I relax in my swing the tighter the dispersion, that's probably the path I am going to take next.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Spent 5 minutes at the driving range doing slow practice swings before my hitting balls.

Moving from inside to out. Possibly moving too far inside to out, finally.

The range session was much more relaxed at least until I hit the longer clubs. PW to 8i are making a nice draw flight. 7i and 6i are getting more consistent in terms of getting the ball in the air, but there is still a lot more work to do. It seems that if my wrists are turned up a bit to accommodate the longer clubs, my swing path is affected. This is possibly because my hands are about halfway between my hips and thigh at address and, hopefully, at impact.

Didn't even try to hit 5 and 4 irons, 4 and 3 hybrids.

Driver was more relaxed, and I was able to get a controlled "whipping" action with the club head. Driving straight and far with very little effort. I think I might be ready to use graphite shafts again. I might even gain 10-20 yards?

I also hit my 3W off the tee, and was able to get only 1 out of 4 with a decent flight, and even then I pulled it a little. Off the deck was more or less the same since I teed it up 1/4" and hit it off grass.

The issue I was having in post:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71030/my-swing-lihu/486#post_1141669

at 9:20 was resolved by pushing my butt out to balance myself better. This seems to be working, especially with my drives.

Forgot to mention that I shot my lowest differential score this last week, and shot 6 birdies on various holes with some on practice holes and a couple during scoring rounds.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

@Lihu , my advice: stop searching and trying semi-random things. Stop trying to "unwrap your arms" and "stick your butt out" and so on.

Get a lesson, get a priority, work on that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Lihu , my advice: stop searching and trying semi-random things. Stop trying to "unwrap your arms" and "stick your butt out" and so on. Get a lesson, get a priority, work on that.

Will do. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Too bad it was a practice round. It would have bumped up my driving average for sure. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Did a full practice round today. Learning to putt better. Having problems keeping my head down. Hit too many fat shots. Scored okay for my handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Did a full practice round today. Learning to putt better. Having problems keeping my head down. Hit too many fat shots. Scored okay for my handicap.

@Lihu , I'm going to say some things solely for the purpose of helping you. I could be wrong, but I would bet that I'm not.

• I doubt very much one of the top five problems is that you weren't "keeping your head down."
  • Your swing was probably almost exactly the same as it was yesterday, the day before, and the week before.
  • You play too many practice rounds and don't practice enough. When you do you practice, you practice a bit aimlessly. Like I said, get a lesson from @mvmac and work only on the thing he tells you until it's no longer your priority. You wander too frequently, inventing new things like "keeping your head down."

Hope you read that as I wrote it. Take care.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

@Lihu, I'm going to say some things solely for the purpose of helping you. I could be wrong, but I would bet that I'm not.

I doubt very much one of the top five problems is that you weren't "keeping your head down."

Your swing was probably almost exactly the same as it was yesterday, the day before, and the week before.

You play too many practice rounds and don't practice enough. When you do you practice, you practice a bit aimlessly. Like I said, get a lesson from @mvmac and work only on the thing he tells you until it's no longer your priority. You wander too frequently, inventing new things like "keeping your head down."

Hope you read that as I wrote it. Take care.

Thanks, I was wondering about this, it was something someone mentioned today on the course.

I was actually thinking this a bit earlier, it seems like stuff doesn't get/stay ingrained without focused practice. I have a tentative plan to meet Mike early July. I guess his schedule does not mesh with the time I have free in June.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaaxzxR6V0[/VIDEO] This is still my priority piece at least for now. My right-pinky side wrist area feels like there is some pressure right after impact. I think I am still not low enough on the follow through. Still working on slowing the swing to a comfortable training speed to work on this piece and new ones in the future. The tiny improvements that I feel like I've made are in being more upright, loading the wrists a bit more. Casting less. Using my hips to generate at least a fraction power in my swing, finally. The two key improvements are relatively minor as compared to more talented golfers whom I feel like could have gotten to this point much quicker. Going to do some practice with video this coming week to see if the changes were done reasonably, or if there are still gross errors in position. I'll continue to work on these until my next lesson with Mike, in the meantime I'll post some interim videos.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1-1-2015 to 6-1-2015

20R (AVG diff. 72.9/131:6800y)[AHI:11.3; GL:8.7]: LS77, HS87, A81, 12B, 108P, 108Bo, 25D, 2 (3+), 55.9%F, 34.3%G, Pu(86(1),141(2),27(3+)), Scr(32%P,67%Bo+).

1 week of practice rounds that varied all over the map. Practiced for 6 hours over the weekend. Irons were reasonable, woods and putting still horrible. Chips worse than usual, but a few hours practice can hopefully get it back to adequate level of play. Putting is reaching critical mass. Need to make the long putts better. 3 putted and 4 putted more often as last week dragged along.

Going with Erik's advice, I want improvement.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've noticed you do a lot of practice rounds.  I only do actual rounds (most of the courses I play state you can't play more than one ball).  I don't remember seeing anyone else here mention playing practice rounds either.

Why practice rounds?  Why so many?  Are the courses pretty much empty when you are doing practice rounds?

I've noticed you do a lot of practice rounds.  I only do actual rounds (most of the courses I play state you can't play more than one ball).

Why practice rounds?  Why so many?  Are the courses pretty much empty when you are doing practice rounds?

I rarely hit more than one ball at a time anyway, but with "member" players it's allowed since we are required to fix all our divots. I play one or two proper rounds and 3-6 practice rounds per week.

The main reason is that my chipping and putting are so bad and only under course conditions. I walk and carry about half the time, and walk the rest. When I putt and chip on the practice greens do a lot better than during rounds, then when I play on the course I can see my putter and chipping irons wobbling on the backstroke. Seriously, the expressions on the faces of many people I play with are like "How do I live with myself making 3 putt bogies and 4 putt doubles?"

This and the fact that I prefer to practice under course conditions, and it doesn't cost any more for me to play as many rounds as I like.

EDIT: To be clear, the 6 hours I practiced over the weekend were on the range and in my hitting net area.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I play one or two proper rounds and 3-6 practice rounds per week.

Curious, when do you make the call on practice round vs. official round?

A) The day/night before

B) On the drive to the course

C) on the first tee

D) after 2 holes

I have read Eric/Mike's responses and I tend to agree, it seems like trying to make swing changes on the course would prove to be very difficult.  Where a practice round can come in handy for people like you and me that don't have access to decent short game practice areas is to use the course for this, setup from 75 yds on each hole and hit two balls in using two different clubs to practice feel and club selection options, make a scoring game out of that rather than what you are doing now.

I rarely hit more than one ball at a time anyway, but with "member" players it's allowed since we are required to fix all our divots. I play one or two proper rounds and 3-6 practice rounds per week.

The main reason is that my chipping and putting are so bad and only under course conditions. I walk and carry about half the time, and walk the rest. When I putt and chip on the practice greens do a lot better than during rounds, then when I play on the course I can see my putter and chipping irons wobbling on the backstroke. Seriously, the expressions on the faces of many people I play with are like "How do I live with myself making 3 putt bogies and 4 putt doubles?"

This and the fact that I prefer to practice under course conditions, and it doesn't cost any more for me to play as many rounds as I like.

EDIT: To be clear, the 6 hours I practiced over the weekend were on the range and in my hitting net area.

-EDIT @bmartin461 beat me to some of these questions but there are enough differences I left the post the same

Do you go out with the intent to play a practice round or do you decide that it will be a practice round after starting?  What makes a practice round different from an official round in terms of what you do on the course?  Do you keep score?

The reason I'm asking is because my club frowns upon "practice rounds".  Our club rules state that we are required to post every 9 and 18 hole score during the April to October period and that players failing to turn in all scores may have their handicaps arbitrarily reduced and possibly be suspended from tournament play.

You're playing 3-6 practice rounds and only applying 2 scores to your handicap which would be raised as a problem within my club.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I play one or two proper rounds and 3-6 practice rounds per week.

Curious, when do you make the call on practice round vs. official round?

A) The day/night before

B) On the drive to the course

C) on the first tee

D) after 2 holes

I have read Eric/Mike's responses and I tend to agree, it seems like trying to make swing changes on the course would prove to be very difficult.  Where a practice round can come in handy for people like you and me that don't have access to decent short game practice areas is to use the course for this, setup from 75 yds on each hole and hit two balls in using two different clubs to practice feel and club selection options, make a scoring game out of that rather than what you are doing now.

A or B, it's against the ROG to do so after the first shot is made. This is ROG 101, and I am surprised that more than one person asked me this question. I usually start up GolfLogix to score a round, so once I start a scoring round there is no way out of it. I have one or two rounds that were entered partially because I had to leave after 6 holes or something like that.

BTW, I score every round, they just don't get entered into Golf Logix unless they were planned to be a scoring round. This is why I have a 97 that was not entered into Golflogix. I also have a really low score that was also not entered.

My practice recent practice rounds (last 3 months) have been only one ball at a time with only a couple exceptions. I get one chance to play the shot. If I play a second ball, the conditions are different and it doesn't help me improve my overall game.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!