IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I almost never take practice swings for full shots.  I do for touch shots, like pitching and chipping, but it's not like I stand over the ball for 60 seconds.  It still only takes about 10-15 seconds before I'm hitting the ball.

Right, but it's the same for a full swing. I get to my ball, select the club, take a quick swoosh, address the ball and give it hell. Measurable in seconds.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right, but it's the same for a full swing. I get to my ball, select the club, take a quick swoosh, address the ball and give it hell. Measurable in seconds.

one could easily argue this is insignificant, not an issue for pace and its a form pre-shot ritual that rarely is a problem for pace.  What I see in practice swingers is 1) that quick swoosh doesn't really help 2) the "quick" swoosh becomes a more protracted pre-shot ritual if you're still not striking the ball well, 3) a more pensive practice swing becomes two, and so on.  Where does reasonable practice swing rationale end and the pace of play issue begin?  I think the easy solution is to count full practice swings.  Informal rules of etiquette should only permit check swings for touch shots and bad lies.  Nobody should take this personal because a million beginner and intermediate golfers including me need to take practice swings.  If you're not confident to strike a ball off a flat surface and or the short grass, then practice swings are completely justified.  At the range.  On your own time.

Note: This thread is 3406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!