IGNORED

callaway x-forged irons

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My friend is playing d1 golf, and they threw equipment at him like it was christmas. all different types of clubs, balls, and apparel. it turns out the sent him the ping i5's, callaway x-forged's, and the TM r7 irons, along with multiple drivers, fairway woods, wedges, putters, balls etc.

he liked the i5's the best, and said he would give me the callaway x-forged irons if i wanted them. i am around a 13 handicap, but that is getting better pretty quickly, as i assume the time he comes back in november (the time i could be getting them) my handicap could be in single digits.

i like my current ping i3's, but they are a little clunky and as im starting to get better, i want a more workable set of irons. i am a pretty good ball striker, and was wondering if these irons are too hard to hit for somebody with around a 10 handicap?

thanks

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Find a golf shop that has demo clubs and see if they have one to hit. If you can take a club for a test drive that should give you a better idea of what to expect.

I demoed the X-forged and found the club was a little too unforgiving for me and a little shorter than I expected. I eventually went with a different set. I really liked the look of the X-forged clubs but after hitting them had to go with something else.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I demoed the X-forged and found the club was a little too unforgiving for me and a little shorter than I expected. I eventually went with a different set. I really liked the look of the X-forged clubs but after hitting them had to go with something else.

Ditto. Liked the look and feel a lot, but ultimately I needed something more forgiving. I went with the 2005-2006 X-Tours instead.

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

Having played a division 1 sport in college, I can tell you that getting free equipment like that is a major infraction of NCAA rules. So either your friend is pulling your leg or I would not name his university in any further posts to avoid any issues this sort of ongoings could cause to his school.

As for the X-forged irons, you need to just go out and demo them. I just came back to golf after a 7 year break, and upgraded to the x-forged from the old 1996 Big Bertha irons. Although my handicap is extremely high, I have no issue hitting them flush and getting as much or even more distance out of them compared to my old super game improvement irons.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

if you don't want them, post them for sale on here and I'll take them.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I don't know how they feel or play but they're drop dead sexy

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I liked them, i tried them after my pro advised i need to up grade from my current set (X-18's) due to needing stiff shafts and no offset.

I tried the X-20 Tour and X-Forged, enjoyed them both and didnt have any trouble really hitting them straight away!

Off centre hits with the X-Forged didnt feel too good, but well. You supposed to be hitting the centre! If your a confident ball striker, i dont see why they would'nt work for you!
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

Having played a division 1 sport in college, I can tell you that getting free equipment like that is a major infraction of NCAA rules. So either your friend is pulling your leg or I would not name his university in any further posts to avoid any issues this sort of ongoings could cause to his school.

i actually have friends who play div 1 baseball and they get free equipment all the time. It just dependes if the university is sponsered or not. In golf digest i believe it said 60% of golf colleges are sponsered by a big golf company.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Snowman,

I think you are misunderstanding what the meaning of "free" stuff means. Alumni and random vendors cannot give individuals free goods. However, the coaches and administrators pay the vendors or sponsors directly, and the athletes essentially get these things for "free." At major universities and colleges, I am sure each player can say to their coach, hey, I want to hit a set of these Callaways, and a month later, not like them, and get a different set. It is pretty common in equipment based sports like baseball, lacrosse, and golf. Free is free to the athletes, not the administrators and the university through which they recieve the equipment.

PS. I hit the Callaway X-Forged and they are nice. You do not need to be a great striker to hit them. The best part about starting to hit blades and forged clubs is that you will not hit great shots with them until you work out the kinks in your swing. These type of clubs give you instant feedback, so if you are a good student, you will be hitting better in one week of practice. Once you start hitting them, you will see immediate difference in distance and accuracy. I got MP-60's and have added yardage to every club and knocked four strokes off my handicap.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

Wow, how times have changed. I played football, and in my time we got no extras. Granted it has been a while, graduated in 1993, but we couldn't even get our hands on an extra sweatshirt let alone equipment.

From my understanding, the NCAA regulates the rules and not the schools. So anything above and beyond what is needed to play, would be considered a gift. So receiving 3 sets of irons is excessive and would fall into the gift category. Practices like that bring sanctions from the NCAA. But that is the way it was circa 1990.

Sure, players get to try out different sets of equipment, but at the end of the trial period, that equipment needs to be returned if it is not going to be used. Those are the rules, and if that is not what is happening, like I previously said do your friend a favor and do not post the name of his school.

I know of one school that was investigated because a NCAA official over heard a conversation of a players girlfriend in the restroom of an off campus restaurant.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

Again, its not a gift. They are being paid for. The vendors are not giving these clubs away. The athletes get them from the school, and they are paid for, at a discounted rate, but certainly paid for.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

The school, which i took out the name just in case, has a deal with addidas, and therefore can get as much taylormade stuff as they want

In The Bag...

Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

This will be my last post, sorry for the derail.

Again, IT IS A GIFT. I do not care who paid for it, if it was not the student athlete or his/her family, it is a gift. What is the difference between a university giving someone excessive equipment, or giving an athlete a brand new car to drive to practice? Nothing, they are both gifts.

As you can tell by my post count, I do not post much, because when it comes to golf I have much to learn, and not so much to teach. But I do know about NCAA rules violations.

The school, which i took out the name just in case, has a deal with addidas, and therefore can get as much taylormade stuff as they want

Don't worry bro, it's not a violation for golfers to receive golf equipment from the school. Nor is it a violation for your buddy to gift it to you, as long as you're not paying him for it.

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

Don't worry bro, it's not a violation for golfers to receive golf equipment from the school. Nor is it a violation for your buddy to gift it to you, as long as you're not paying him for it.

Haha, alright, good, I got real nervous there for a little bit. I didn't wanna screw over my friend. And ya, I wouldn't be paying for them

In The Bag...

• Administrator
Again, IT IS A GIFT. I do not care who paid for it, if it was not the student athlete or his/her family, it is a gift. What is the difference between a university giving someone excessive equipment, or giving an athlete a brand new car to drive to practice? Nothing, they are both gifts.

There's quite a difference. I could easily make a case for getting three sets of irons for myself. One could be good for cold weather, one might be good for long courses... and another might be good for when I wanted to hit more draws or something.

I'm fairly certain football players don't pay for footballs or their helmets. A car is not "equipment."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The school, which i took out the name just in case,

Done. If they have a deal, that means that they are paying for the equipment at significantly lower prices.

WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

This will be my last post, sorry for the derail.

sorry but you're posts have been wrong. school gets them discounted from a deal. school is ALLOWED to give athletes some equipment for their sport ONLY. golf team receives golf equipment. usually teams have a limit as to how much equipment each athlete can receive. for instance my friend who runs track for BU is allowed X amount of throwing shoes, uniforms, warmups for the season.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!