IGNORED

Help in Choosing a Low-Priced Fairway Wood for a Beginner

BaronV
Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need some equipment advice from the players here. I've finally started seeing improvement in my game and dropped from a 30 handicap to a 22 in a few months and now gunning to get to at least an 18 by the end of the year. I’ve finally got a driver, putter, irons, and hybrids that I am fine with but I have never used my fairway woods.

I’m am able to hit my driver about 220 yards and my #3 hybrid about 180 yards off the tee. So I am looking for filling in the gap between 181-219 yards and was looking into getting a #3 or #4 Fairway Wood. I’ve never had much luck in the trajectory of my Top-Flite HCT Tour woods and even after trying out my friend’s Callaway ERC Fusion and Adams Tight Lies woods, I haven’t been overly impressed. For some reason I generate a wicked slice with the #3 & #5 but am fine with my driver and hybrids. I will mainly use this club off the tee since I have trouble with the longer shafted clubs on the fairways. Since I will be using this mainly on long par 4s, I don’t really want to spend more than a $100 so here is a list of new #3 or #5 woods I can get around that price range. Can anyone recommend any of these or point out other good low-priced woods?

TITLEIST GOLF- 904F
ADAMS GOLF- RPM LP
CALLAWAY GOLF- GREAT BIG BERTHA II
KING COBRA COMP
COBRA SPEED SERIES
TAYLOR MADE MENS V STEEL
TAYLOR MADE R580
MACGREGOR MACTEC NVG
CLEVELAND MENS LAUNCHER
NIKE IGNITE T60
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

I got a Max Fli Black Max on sale last week end at dicks for about 45$. The club was marked down to 60$ from 129.99, and i had 15 off, and it was no tax day. I'm sure you could find something reasonable at your sporting goods store, or you could get something used.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

I have been using Adam's Ovation 2 fairway woods and have had a good run with them. Dick's Sports currently is selling off their inventory. May want to check out their website.

Doin' my best to keep 'em in the short grass,

Tobin

I Play The Muni

Since you swing your hybrid well, why don't you try a 16 degree hybrid instead of a 3 or 4 wood? The hybrids are easier to hit than any other club. The previous year Cobra model, that is the non DWS Baffler, is selling for around $99 with the same Aldila graphite shaft as the current model. I think the Bafflers are great clubs and much easier to hit than a 3 wood. Give this a try and let us know what you think.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

try the speed series cobra or the comp. I have a cobra 5 wood and i hit it 200 yards. Very easy club to hit. Go cobra

P.S. the adams rpm is very hard to hit for me, don't like the shape of the head.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Cleveland Launcher isn't bad. I got one this year - but my dad gave me his Bobby Jones 3 wood since he likes his F-Speed better though...Bobby Jones woods are way better then anything on that list, or at least IMO...Bobby Jones fairway woods are so easy to hit because they are easy to get in the air with the shallow face...so..consider them..

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Cleveland Launcher isn't bad. I got one this year - but my dad gave me his Bobby Jones 3 wood since he likes his F-Speed better though...Bobby Jones woods are way better then anything on that list, or at least IMO...Bobby Jones fairway woods are so easy to hit because they are easy to get in the air with the shallow face...so..consider them..

arent they like 200 bucks

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Taylor Made V-Steel is one heck of a fairway wood. One of the all time greats!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

The reason I am looking into a Fairway wood instead of a lower lofted hybrid is that I'd like a larger face on the club and a bigger forgiveness factor. With the price on hybrids and some fairway woods nearly identical since I'm buying last years models, I'd rather get a fairway wood for now.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

Need some equipment advice from the players here. I've finally started seeing improvement in my game and dropped from a 30 handicap to a 22 in a few months and now gunning to get to at least an 18 by the end of the year. I’ve finally got a driver, putter, irons, and hybrids that I am fine with but I have never used my fairway woods.

I've recently ordered "The Perfect Club" (web site is their name). They seem to specialize in shorter length shafts with heavier swingweights in the clubhead. I've always struggled with longer shafted clubs especially fairway woods so the shorter length shaft sounds like something that will do me good. Oh and all their clubs seem to be below $100 per club.

-Mike

Driver: 450cc, 12 degree
Irons: Rifle steel shafts
Fairway Woods: R7 HybridPutter: Marilyn GPS: Garmin Golflogix GPS-8

I just got a Tommy Armour torch 3 wood. Very easy to get in the air and they are very reasonably priced.

Driver: 905R w V2 stiff 76
FW: NVG2 Fujikura stiff
Hybrids: Idea Pro 20* Aldila VS Proto
Irons: M685 3-PW Rifle 5.5
Wedges: 54* VIP forged, 58* CG10Putter: Bettinardi A02Ball: ProV1, Black Max

Rockbottomgolf.com is running a special on the Adams fairway woods. $69.99.

Also, start diggin around in the used bins at the driving range and golf outlets, there's usually some good deals in there.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

i have been lookin for some cheap fairway woods for my father
so i went to golfgalaxy lastnight and found a deal on Distance Master
fairway woods ..dont know how good they are but the deal was
buy 2 and get one free price was $49.99 per club , so for $109
out the door i got a 3,5 and 7 wood .
they dont show the fairway woods on the website

here is a link to the distance master head at a builders site
http://www.builderspowertools.com/in...OD&ProdID;=2113

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

Not exactly a low-priced option, but I just picked up a new 2007 Big Bertha 3-wood. All I can say is, wow! That is easily the best fairway wood I've ever hit. I hit probably 75 balls in the simulator, all off the deck, and mishit maybe 2-3 of them. And even those were decent. Awesome club.

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!