IGNORED

True distance vs imaginary distance.

iHack
Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good idea, going on google map just proved my distances were pretty accurate I had 250-270, I know some by no fault and others who know better but think impressing people on the internet counts, and then there are some who I have seen their swing and could definitely see that yardage as possible, the delusional ones will never give in no matter how much facts are shown to them.

Okay I have a little launch monitor data and I asked the clerk how accurate is the monitor and he said more accurate with a driver why I don't know but that's what I was told, the swing speed I believe is accurate, this was my averages after 8 swings.

SS 100mph

Launch 13.4

Azimuth 3.6

side 250

back 2190

total 2260

decent 40

carry 249

total 274

peak 36.4

ball speed 146.3 mph

According to these numbers was my smash factor somewhere around 1.46? I'll admit I was swinging pretty well right then so I would say these are my optimum stats, I was using a different driver than my own with the same shaft though, it was a rocketballz stage 2 tour model set at 10.5*.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopster

Good idea, going on google map just proved my distances were pretty accurate I had 250-270, I know some by no fault and others who know better but think impressing people on the internet counts, and then there are some who I have seen their swing and could definitely see that yardage as possible, the delusional ones will never give in no matter how much facts are shown to them.

Okay I have a little launch monitor data and I asked the clerk how accurate is the monitor and he said more accurate with a driver why I don't know but that's what I was told, the swing speed I believe is accurate, this was my averages after 8 swings.

SS 100mph

Launch 13.4

Azimuth 3.6

side 250

back 2190

total 2260

decent 40

carry 249

total 274

peak 36.4

ball speed 146.3 mph

According to these numbers was my smash factor somewhere around 1.46? I'll admit I was swinging pretty well right then so I would say these are my optimum stats, I was using a different driver than my own with the same shaft though, it was a rocketballz stage 2 tour model set at 10.5*.

What I'd like to know is how a launch monitor can possibly determine roll when that is completely dependent on the circumstances.  Fairway cut, firmness, slope all have to factor in and no electronic estimate can get that right in any sort of realistic scenario.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I'd like to know is how a launch monitor can possibly determine roll when that is completely dependent on the circumstances.  Fairway cut, firmness, slope all have to factor in and no electronic estimate can get that right in any sort of realistic scenario.

Well an estimate is just that an estimate, I don't hold these numbers to 100% accuracy other than swing speed seems to be fairly accurate IMO, I think it would be fairly safe to assume that the roll out is based off of summer dry conditions and it's a flat surface and no wind and the grass is at whatever normal fairway length would be, 25 yards of roll out is not overly generous by what I have seen at my home course, I have seen over 100 yards of rollout on quite a few occasions, however if it's not hit down the middle your off the fairway or in a hazard. Actually what I'm more curious about is if 249 yards of carry possible at 100mph swing speed with the launch angles and ball speed I seemed to have.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Well an estimate is just that an estimate, I don't hold these numbers to 100% accuracy other than swing speed seems to be fairly accurate IMO, I think it would be fairly safe to assume that the roll out is based off of summer dry conditions and it's a flat surface and no wind and the grass is at whatever normal fairway length would be, 25 yards of roll out is not overly generous by what I have seen at my home course, I have seen over 100 yards of rollout on quite a few occasions, however if it's not hit down the middle your off the fairway or in a hazard. Actually what I'm more curious about is if 249 yards of carry possible at 100mph swing speed with the launch angles and ball speed I seemed to have.

I was also wondering about that, but your measured smash factor is really good. You also mentioned that you hit pretty well that day.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was also wondering about that, but your measured smash factor is really good. You also mentioned that you hit pretty well that day.

Yes I did, in fact I would say today was an exception I would somehow love to have stick around.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

• 2 weeks later...

Google maps does not have distance measuring capability anymore. I sent a problem report to google, and hope they will fix it.

For now use this: http://www.satelliteview.co/?place=goose+creek+golf+club+mira+loma+ca

You will need to pan the map around and move to the golf course a little, and use the "measure" tab. Type in the name of the course in the box in the upper right of the screen.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Google maps does not have distance measuring capability anymore. I sent a problem report to google, and hope they will fix it.

looks like they fixed it in record time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

looks like they fixed it in record time.

I don't know why I always get this page:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Goose+Creek+Golf+Club/@33.9632721,-117.5303097,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dcb5e65ef70627:0xee0def66d43d48fd

I need to figure out why my computer is configured with all these "new tools".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't know why I always get this page:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Goose+Creek+Golf+Club/@33.9632721,-117.5303097,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dcb5e65ef70627:0xee0def66d43d48fd

I need to figure out why my computer is configured with all these "new tools".

i guess i get redirected when i click that URL, because i'm dropped to the normal (for me anyway) Google Maps screen, with the small ruler in the lower left-hand corner of the map.

The only times I ever noticed my carry was once two years ago at a good course it was a short par 4 276 yards and I carried it to the front of the green. Whether their yardage was right I don't know but I would say it was close as it's a reputable course. And the other time was this year it said 301 to carry a creek across the fairway. I would say it was maybe 20 yards downhill and I carried it by maybe 10 yards. Swung my hardest and hit the best drive of my life.

For now use this: http://www.satelliteview.co/?place=goose+creek+golf+club+mira+loma+ca

You will need to pan the map around and move to the golf course a little, and use the "measure" tab. Type in the name of the course in the box in the upper right of the screen.

I use Google Earth.  I never have figured out how to measure in Maps.

Rick

Quote:

maybe you should Google it.

This is the first hit:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1628031?hl=en

Let me know if this link gives you the old tool or the new one that does not have "Map Labs".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

What difference does it make which one I use?  Google Earth seems to work faster and smoother on the somewhat dodgy "broadband" I have down here, so I'm happy to use it.

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanson

Quote:

What difference does it make which one I use?  Google Earth seems to work faster and smoother on the somewhat dodgy "broadband" I have down here, so I'm happy to use it.

Island paradises have that issue, I guess. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That's a fair question

Amongst other things that determines ball roll out, decent angle, apex height, velocity, spin (or lack of) will provide a likely scenario of golf ball roll out distances. One thing to keep in mind that the difference between a "$20  a dozen distance Ball" and premium ball with the exact same data, will only be <7 yards. The LM assumes a flat fairway, some LMs will take into account rough which will reduce roll out distance but to hit in the rough you either have increased distance killing sides spin or a blocked shot. Keep in mind that a launch monitor is a data based scenario, it uses High tech "radar" to arrive at its accuracy and conclusion.  For example a launch monitors only records the golf ball from impact to about 4-5 feet. Your variables, along with moisture, humidity, wind, side wind, elevation from sea level, fair way cut, hardness etc are not used.

Actually elevation above sea level might be used, I can't remember how I set my flight scope- all of my demos were at <1000 elevation so I may have set it as a default setting.  I'm sure there are machines that do or will take into account of some of these factors.  But because they are not used one could conclude that the testing data is consistent with any club, ball or player.

Obviously quite a bit of science and geometry goes in to these machines, but to totally discount the data because it does not take in you exact landing conditions does not change the likely hood of a consist measurement of roll out. I am using the exact same machine as the pros & manufacturers, functionality and data  are the same. How you read the data and what you do with the data can be different. For most of us a total of 5-6 parameters are important for ball, club, shaft,  for a golf ball manufacture it could 10-12 parameters they wish to look at.

although pretty rare I have witnessed a ball hit by a driver have negative roll out- in other words it spun back, as well as a worm burners and too low of launch drives that eventually rolls out close to 85%  a normal drive by the same player.

I hope this helps

Quote:

That's a fair question

Amongst other things that determines ball roll out, decent angle, apex height, velocity, spin (or lack of) will provide a likely scenario of golf ball roll out distances. One thing to keep in mind that the difference between a "$20  a dozen distance Ball" and premium ball with the exact same data, will only be <7 yards. The LM assumes a flat fairway, some LMs will take into account rough which will reduce roll out distance but to hit in the rough you either have increased distance killing sides spin or a blocked shot. Keep in mind that a launch monitor is a data based scenario, it uses High tech "radar" to arrive at its accuracy and conclusion.  For example a launch monitors only records the golf ball from impact to about 4-5 feet. Your variables, along with moisture, humidity, wind, side wind, elevation from sea level, fair way cut, hardness etc are not used.

Actually elevation above sea level might be used, I can't remember how I set my flight scope- all of my demos were at <1000 elevation so I may have set it as a default setting.  I'm sure there are machines that do or will take into account of some of these factors.  But because they are not used one could conclude that the testing data is consistent with any club, ball or player.

Obviously quite a bit of science and geometry goes in to these machines, but to totally discount the data because it does not take in you exact landing conditions does not change the likely hood of a consist measurement of roll out. I am using the exact same machine as the pros & manufacturers, functionality and data  are the same. How you read the data and what you do with the data can be different. For most of us a total of 5-6 parameters are important for ball, club, shaft,  for a golf ball manufacture it could 10-12 parameters they wish to look at.

although pretty rare I have witnessed a ball hit by a driver have negative roll out- in other words it spun back, as well as a worm burners and too low of launch drives that eventually rolls out close to 85%  a normal drive by the same player.

I hope this helps

10 yards for me, but I don't have a consistent draw yet and my drives are all over the map.

I wonder if one of the discrepancies in reported club distances are due to the fact that the lower handicappers use distance statistics based upon "spin" balls and the higher handicappers base them on the "distance" balls? This might make up for a 7 to 10 yard difference, and another 10 because the ball is not being shaped into position by the higher handicappers?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10 yards for me, but I don't have a consistent draw yet and my drives are all over the map. I wonder if one of the discrepancies in reported club distances are due to the fact that the lower handicappers use distance statistics based upon "spin" balls and the higher handicappers base them on the "distance" balls? This might make up for a 7 to 10 yard difference, and another 10 because the ball is not being shaped into position by the higher handicappers?

One of the discrepancies????? .

Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!