IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious if you intended to play that way from the start or if you changed your mind some point into the round, and if so why? When you did take a second or third ball, did you try approaching the green with a different kind of shot or was it just the same shot over and over until you got it right? I've never really played practice rounds and am curious how you played yours...

we decided from the first hole to work on our game. the main times i would play a 2nd or third ball is with chipping and bunkers. I'm not great at getting close to the pin out of bunkers so i would play my first ball if i hit it in the bunker drop a ball a foot or so away from my original ball and the place another ball and tap it into the sand to play a buried lie so i could work on stuff. as far as chipping i usually only use my 56* so i was playing around with my 50* 60* and 9i. trying to get more familiar with different shots. i know my game needs a lot of work and it feels different to practice on the course as opposed to the range. lol it was fun

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleAnthony

this is the first time I've ever played a practice round like this. played the same shot 2 or 3 times. working on how to approach the shot and so forth.

i was just working on stuff. didn't play it like i normally would

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I liked that course.

[/quote

ya i really enjoy legends course

Just curious if you intended to play that way from the start or if you changed your mind some point into the round, and if so why? When you did take a second or third ball, did you try approaching the green with a different kind of shot or was it just the same shot over and over until you got it right? I've never really played practice rounds and am curious how you played yours...

ROG, it must be declared before the round starts.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I work over an hour away from my home course, so quite a few of my rounds after work are 9 holes by myself, pretty late in the evening.  I often find myself falling into that trap where I set out to put a good number together, and after 2 or 3 bad swings over the first few holes I've given up on the score and its right back into practice mode on the course.  I think practice rounds are helpful if they're used to feel out a course before a tournament, but I can say that getting to comfortable just dropping down another ball after a bad swing or two during a casual 9 isn't a good habit to have.  You lose all feel for the round and the art of recovery and short game, and I also believe after a while it starts to become detrimental to your focus and your execution.. It's one thing I try to make myself commit to at the start of every year is less on course practicing, just play everything out... dropping another ball is a tempting thing to do though, especially if no one is around to push you forward.

I work over an hour away from my home course, so quite a few of my rounds after work are 9 holes by myself, pretty late in the evening.  I often find myself falling into that trap where I set out to put a good number together, and after 2 or 3 bad swings over the first few holes I've given up on the score and its right back into practice mode on the course.  I think practice rounds are helpful if they're used to feel out a course before a tournament, but I can say that getting to comfortable just dropping down another ball after a bad swing or two during a casual 9 isn't a good habit to have.  You lose all feel for the round and the art of recovery and short game, and I also believe after a while it starts to become detrimental to your focus and your execution.. It's one thing I try to make myself commit to at the start of every year is less on course practicing, just play everything out... dropping another ball is a tempting thing to do though, especially if no one is around to push you forward.

Does this mean no "provisional balls" while you wait for the party up front?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You're also invalidating your handicap. To your own detriment, but nonetheless......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I guess if you're committed to practicing over the course of the round, then sure.  But what I am referring to is a round where you show up to the course with every intention of generating a real, by the book score; and in my case often later in the evening with no pressure from other groups, choosing to hit another ball or two as a result of a previous bad shot.  From my own experience I don't think it's a good habit to get into, especially when you initially intended to play a real round.

As a side note, if you go out and catch up to group by say the 4th hole...And you pipe your tee shot while they're on the green but decide, I'm going to wait anyways, I'll hit another for practice and play the first one.. I think that negates the validity of your round, like it or not you've practiced (if only to some degree) during that round and it really shouldn't count towards your handicap?  Maybe that's just my own opinion I'm not sure... But if you're one who intends to play tournament golf, learning to wait and stay focused during the wait is an integral part of the game

You're also invalidating your handicap. To your own detriment, but nonetheless......

Yeah I mean I guess you're right, as soon as you drop another ball it's like quitting a round that you intended to keep a score I guess?  Even if it was a casual solo round I guess by the book they all need to count.. interesting motivation for quitting the on course practice

I guess if you're committed to practicing over the course of the round, then sure.  But what I am referring to is a round where you show up to the course with every intention of generating a real, by the book score; and in my case often later in the evening with no pressure from other groups, choosing to hit another ball or two as a result of a previous bad shot.  From my own experience I don't think it's a good habit to get into, especially when you initially intended to play a real round.

As a side note, if you go out and catch up to group by say the 4th hole...And you pipe your tee shot while they're on the green but decide, I'm going to wait anyways, I'll hit another for practice and play the first one.. I think that negates the validity of your round, like it or not you've practiced (if only to some degree) during that round and it really shouldn't count towards your handicap?  Maybe that's just my own opinion I'm not sure... But if you're one who intends to play tournament golf, learning to wait and stay focused during the wait is an integral part of the game

NEXT POST:

Yeah I mean I guess you're right, as soon as you drop another ball it's like quitting a round that you intended to keep a score I guess?  Even if it was a casual solo round I guess by the book they all need to count.. interesting motivation for quitting the on course practice

At first, panic set in and my round at Goose Creek was invalid, but. . .

USGA Rule 27-2 is the applicable rule allowing that a player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he plays a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is deemed to be lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance.

There is no limit to the number of provisional balls hit, nor is there a statement about the condition of the first ball as long as it is not closer to the hole than the first ball.

Lucky for us that our parties' provisional balls were always further from the hole than our first balls.

You can't quit a scoring round, you just need to finish it up and it will be one of your 10 worst scores.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

USGA Rule 27-2 is the applicable rule allowing that a player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he plays a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is deemed to be lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance.

There is no limit to the number of provisional balls hit, nor is there a statement about the condition of the first ball as long as it is not closer to the hole than the first ball.

Haha seems a little questionable but if you say so! I just think it'd be hard to convince your playing partners, "Yea it's in the middle of the fairway, but I caught it a little thin, let me take a provisional and see if I can work it out and flush one."

Quote:

Haha seems a little questionable but if you say so! I just think it'd be hard to convince your playing partners, "Yea it's in the middle of the fairway, but I caught it a little thin, let me take a provisional and see if I can work it out and flush one."

LOL, yeah. A little questionable, but better than boredom.

Now I know to hit provisional balls with an iron, under these "conditions".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

There certainly is.  Both the definition of a "Provisional Ball" and Rule 27-2 itself both specify that a provisional is only allowed in those instances where there is a reasonable possibility that the original ball is lost outside of a water hazard or is out of bounds.

Provisional Ball

A “ provisional ball’ ’ is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball that may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds .

27-2 . Provisional Ball

a . Procedure

If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds , to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-

Sorry, that's more than just a "little questionable".....

You can't simply hit balls for practice without having a reasonable possibility that the original ball is either lost, outside of a water hazard, or out of bounds.

Decision 27-2a/3 pertains.

27-2a/3

Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds

Q.In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

A.No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play – see Decision 27-2a/2 .

In David's bag....

Quote:

There certainly is.  Both the definition of a "Provisional Ball" and Rule 27-2 itself both specify that a provisional is only allowed in those instances where there is a reasonable possibility that the original ball is lost outside of a water hazard or is out of bounds.

Provisional Ball

A “provisional ball’’ is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball that may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds.

27-2. Provisional Ball

a. Procedure

If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPK1988

Sorry, that's more than just a "little questionable".....

You can't simply hit balls for practice without having a reasonable possibility that the original ball is either lost, outside of a water hazard, or out of bounds.

Decision 27-2a/3 pertains.

27-2a/3

Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds

Q.In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

A.No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play – see Decision 27-2a/2.

How about the reasonable possibility of gopher holes in the middle of the fairway? :whistle:

Seriously, though :doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@Lihu ... you know there isn't a handicap police** out there that is going to show up at your door and arrest you and/or take away your SCGA membership, right? :-P

Just play the rounds to the best of your ability, follow the rules to the best of your ability, keep your handicap to the best of your ability (don't be a sandbagger) and all will be fine! :beer:

**But if there were, I know a few members on here would love to be deputized. ;-)

Quote:

@Lihu ... you know there isn't a handicap police** out there that is going to show up at your door and arrest you and/or take away your SCGA membership, right?

Just play the rounds to the best of your ability, follow the rules to the best of your ability, keep your handicap to the best of your ability (don't be a sandbagger) and all will be fine!

**But if there were, I know a few members on here would love to be deputized.

Thanks. :8)

Question is, what will I do with the extra 9 to 11 minutes per hole? Here at Santa Anita, I often need to wait up to 15 to 18 minutes sometimes, and I walk/carry.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks.

Question is, what will I do with the extra 9 to 11 minutes per hole? Here at Santa Anita, I often need to wait up to 15 to 18 minutes sometimes, and I walk/carry.

Ouch, that's along time to wait.  I would spend the time chipping and pitching. :-P

This is probably getting a bit off topic, but I'll indulge...

Last year or the year before I decided to stop making a habit of taking practice swings during a solo round that I planned on posting.  Initially I just thought it was a bad habit.  It removes some of the pressure from the first shot when you know you can just hit another one, say "that's more like it" and then believe in your heart that the 91 you posted was really an 88 due to that one you hit OB (or whatever).  Additionally, it gives you more practice swings with particular clubs on-course that you won't get during a tournament round.  Also, I find that doing this around the green can give you an advantage.  Letting you see the break/speed of the green with additional chips/putts can give you the information you need to hole your 8 foot par putt, etc.

Bottom line is that if we're not competing against each other I don't really care how strict you are with practice swings in your casual, posted rounds.  But I do think it's a bad habit.  When I know that, no matter how late it is or if I'm playing by myself, I only get one crack to drive the green on the short par 4, it forces me to really focus and try to make a good swing.  When I say to myself, "I'll hit another one if I screw this up," I find it easier to rush through and just wack at it.  Having to live with the consequences of making a bad swing is likely to prepare you for tournament golf better, IMO.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

@Lihu ... you know there isn't a handicap police** out there that is going to show up at your door and arrest you and/or take away your SCGA membership, right? :-P Just play the rounds to the best of your ability, follow the rules to the best of your ability, keep your handicap to the best of your ability (don't be a sandbagger) and all will be fine! :beer:

True dat! [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/71817/operation-single-digits-2014/468#post_953116"] @Lihu **But if there were, I know a few members on here would love to be deputized. ;-) [/quote] :-P

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!