IGNORED

How do you count your putts

jgilbert
Note: This thread is 6106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been keeping track of my puts lately and have managed to average about 33-34 putt every round. I know the pro's some times get anywhere from 25-29 putts a round and when im draining a lot of par saves and a few birdies my numbers still seem pretty high.

Now the thing is I miss almost half the greens in regulation when I play but when I miss a lot of the time Im just barely on the fringe. I will putt these and count these shots in my total even though Im putting from off the green.

Now my question is how do you/the pga tour count their putts?

1. Every time you stroke your putter even off the green
or
2. Every time you stroke your putter on the green

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
-Michael Jordan

I only count putts when the ball is on the putting surface the same as they do on Tour. But I also note fairways hit, greens in regulation, and chips too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only when you are on the green is it a putt, other then that if you are off the green and you option to use your putter that is your choice, that doesnt mean that it counts as a putt.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Total putts are putts made on the green...if your in the fringe that does not count as a putt.

Also the pros average higher than you may think. Yes they do have round when they only have 25 putts. But currently the best putter on tour is Fredrik Jacobson. He averages 1.73 putts per green which equal to 31.14 putts per round.

So I would say as an amateur 33-34 putts/round is pretty good.

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

You also can use any club on the green. The leading edge of a sand wedge is great for severe downhill putts as it puts backspin on the ball. So "putts" would include the SW shot if on the putting surface. Els likes the SW where the ball is at the fringe line but still on the green on occasion

Ah ok this is all good news then, I was searching the PGA site trying to figure how they calculated putts but I couldnt find anything.

I had a feeling it only counted when you were on green but I counted ones off anyways. Now I dont feel so bad about those 36-37 putt rounds when I was putting from off the fringe

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
-Michael Jordan

and how do you guys calculate greens in regulation? Do you have to be a certain distance away for it to count? Because I can just go little by little and I'll probably hit the green with my SW, does that count?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

and how do you guys calculate greens in regulation? Do you have to be a certain distance away for it to count? Because I can just go little by little and I'll probably hit the green with my SW, does that count?

GIR is real easy.

Par 3-On in one Par 4-On in two Par 5- On in three Doesnt matter how far away you are!!!!
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

For me it depends. If I want to over dramatize to other people how bad I putted I will count the ones on the fringe, I will also lie and tell them I had more three putts then I really did . I found the key is to blame your bad round on one thing, that way you feel like if you had done that one thing better you could have beaten Tiger.

If I putted well or just don't have a reason to complain about my putting then I don't count em'.

X460 Tour Driver
S2H2 4 wood
mp32 irons
MP T Black Nickel 51&56 Wedges
Answer Putter

i definately only count when its on the green. i thought their putting average would be alot lower than that. i average between 32-34 and a good day 28-32. my personal best being 26, but i was chipping good that day, LOL.

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

GIR means you have a putt for bird, thats how I remembered it when I was unclear.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

• Administrator
Also the pros average higher than you may think. Yes they do have round when they only have 25 putts. But currently the best putter on tour is Fredrik Jacobson. He averages 1.73 putts per green which equal to 31.14 putts per round.

No, you've used the wrong stats. The leader in total putts or "putts per round" (

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/119.html ) is Brian Gay. He averages 28.06 putts per round. The stat you used was putts per green in regulation or "putting average" ( http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/104.html ). At the bottom it says:
The average number of putts per green in regulation. By using greens hit in regulation, we are able to eliminate the effects of chipping close and one-putting in the computation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

good catch, i thought that number sounded high. people think i'm a great putter when i have a round less than 30 putts but usually when i have low putt numbers it means i missed a good bit of GIR and got up and down. i should prolly start keeping track of that stat from now on along with overall putts.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

I wish I didn't have to too , but I only count them when on the dance floor itself, even if I use the putter on the frindge I don't count that as a actual putt....

So, does a 2-putt from the fringe count as an up-and-down?

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

No, you've used the wrong stats. The leader in total putts or "putts per round" (

ok that makes more sense.....when i was looking at the stats i thought that was a little high also. Thanks for the catch

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

I actually got my handicap from golf.com this year (trying something new) amd you can track all these stats and input them with you scores. After a few rounds it calculates everything for you.. Putt per hole, putts per GIR, GIR %, GIR% when fairway hit, ect.. I purchased a small book and started trackin 11 of the 12 stats (driver distance was too time consuming) and I anaylize my stats from time to time. They really let you know what to work on. The 12 categories you can track are:

Driver used
driver distance
Fairway hit
GIR
Putts
Green Side BUnker
Fairway bunker
Sand Save
Chips
up and downs
penalty strokes
and Mulligans

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Note: This thread is 6106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!