IGNORED

Left thumb on grip

dchoye
Note: This thread is 2976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My problem is not the right thumb but the left thumb. It gets to tight and ultra short on the grip. What I have tried is flexing my elbows like you see Ernie Els does in the preroutine and that lengthens my thumb and address clubhead above the ball

Not really an issue. Some golfers have long left thumbs, some shorten it up. Greg Norman took his grip, then brought his left thumb closer to butt end  (shortening it) to increase grip pressure. Depends on the golfers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea for me the left thumb is shorter than Greg Norman so it is an issue for me I end up gripping so tight that only the muscle between my left thumb and left forefinger are feeling the weight of the club and I end up flipping my left wrist thru the ball

Not really an issue. Some golfers have long left thumbs, some shorten it up. Greg Norman took his grip, then brought his left thumb closer to butt end  (shortening it) to increase grip pressure. Depends on the golfers.

My left thumb is shorter even more than Greg Norman. I finally tried something that worked. I looked at Tommy Two Gloves left thumb and it wraps around the handle. So I can now have ultra short thumb. You see both joints are flexed The base of my thumbprint and base of my thumb digit joint so the only way I can grip is wrap around thumb.

• 1 year later...
Just an update the wrap around left thumb doesn't feel comfortable for me. the habit of tight short left thumb happens more when I use hybrid or choke up 5 wood and tap the ground behind be the ball to prepare for hi cut. Tight left thumb Doesn't work well with the irons to cut the ball for me Feel like I need to relax my left thumb and apply pressure over my right middle fingers on the grip

• 2 months later...

another update.....Been noticing that when the muscle at the base of my left thumb is relaxed at setup , my left thumb muscle will tighten up with CF at impact during the swing for me with my longer clubs. So maintaining a relaxed pressure with my left thumb at address seems to help with timing.

Constant left thumb pressure is a killer for rhythm and speed for me. However for putting I like having that tight feeling from the left thumb muscle.

• 3 months later...

another update.

been finding left thumb position more important consideration for me in putting.

I still get to tight and so if I take my left hand grip behind my left hip rather than in front of my body, my left thumb naturally lengths and feels less tight.

For the long game, I have learn to "milk the grip" during my routine , this keeps the pressure more on the last three fingers of the left hand and meaty part of the hand rather than the left thumb and forefinger.

Note: This thread is 2976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!