Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Birdieball putting green

4 posts in this topic

Just ordered the 9x2 putting green. That size is probably the biggest i can go. Wanted something better than just a piece of cloth, but not hundreds of dollars. I've read mixed reviews on the product. Anyone with experience with the birdieball practice greens?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Have one, actually two, been using it for more than a year and really like it. Not sure how much benefit you'll see from the 9x2 being limited by the size. I have 2 18x4's one on top of the other, for a while I had them taped together but it was more than I needed. The double layer feels really good on a hard surface. I get more from doing distance drills than putting to a hole. I marked mine every 3 feet and I putt randomly to different marks with 3 balls trying to stop the ball near the mark. Another thing that improved short putt percentage was standing at 3-6 feet and trying to make 18 in a row, starting over if I missed one. Now if I stand over a short putt I have confidence I will make it. My guess is you will find room for a wider green even if you have to roll it up when not being used. I put a little cardboard under it and get breaks that are nearly as wide as the green. When I set it up at 8 feet wide I chip to it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great info Dave. I wish I could go bigger but in an apartment I'm really stuck on space. As you mentioned I think it'll really help from 8 feet and in

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Thanks, all. Yeah, the Tevas are downright hazardous on most Texan soil that you have to stand still upon for any length of time.  Just begging to be taken out by fire ants. San Antonio has some decent course options and a -technically- long potential season of good weather, though Summer can be rough.  It's just now starting to drift down into the low 80s.
    • The states via electoral college do overshadows ones vote.  Every state except Maine and Nebraska have a winner takes all. When I vote republican in NY, my vote is lost in how it's applied nationally because NY being a democrat state gives all the votes to the democrat party candidate, even through 49% of the state could have voted for the republican candidate.  
    • Just a quick update, as it's mostly done… I've lightly glued the carpet to it and then trimmed it. The surface was lying on the plywood for quite a long time before that so that it could flatten as much as possible. It's flat now while still having a little "wobble" when the putt dies out, just like a real putting green. If I ever get some better turf I'll be able to rip this off pretty easily, and probably without destroying it entirely. As the platform is 6' wide… that's 72 inches. That means a 1% slope is 0.72 inches, a two percent slope is 1.44 inches, and so on. I'll make the "risers" for that later. They may just be as simple as some plywood strips that I stack under one side or the other. It's close enough to 3/4" that I'll probably just go 3/4" boards for the risers. I haven't cut any holes yet, and may not, ever, because now I can use it in whichever direction and from whichever length I want. I have a $7 "hole" that's actually very difficult to hole, so it's good. I have some extra things that will slide in to the ends, and I'll likely make an elevated aim line solution with some stretchy string to go above for monitoring start lines. The one mistake, I suppose, was assuming that just because the frame was aluminum that it'd be light weight. The platform is pretty darn heavy. I could have made it smaller, but… honestly, it's fine. I also could have perhaps put some insulation (foam of some kind or another) between the carpet and the plywood, too, but the only purpose that would serve is to deaden the sound a bit when balls are dropped on it. Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out, and I'd like to thank everyone who contributed their ideas in this thread, and especially to @Pretzel who had some experience and offered plenty of input on several occasions. Thank you. P.S. I said "mostly done" but I guess the only things remaining are… To hide or otherwise "clean up" the exposed plywood on the sides. To make the risers for breaking putts. To make the elevated aim line thing(s). That's all I have on the docket, anyway.
    • I did not yet.  I said I had until November, but really they are there until about Thanksgiving so I have a little more time (although not that much if I'm going to place an order I'd imagine). My weekends have been stupid busy lately.  I have work appointments near the course and the shop later this week, so I'm hoping to have some time to stop in and see what my options are. For whatever reason I have the G30 on the brain.   
    • I get what you guys are saying but I struggle with this topic and then feel guilty for hammering balls. Being a new player with a high handicap and shooting scores no less than 115 (never broke 100) my main issue is finding consistency in my swing. My short game does suck but to be able to play the short game I need to launch the ball off the tee and then get within 100 yards of the green, to do that I need a consistent swing with a 7,8 and 9 iron with a reliable tee shot with either my 5W or Driver. Through repetition and lessons I have rounded out my tee shots to a certain degree of consistency and I fully understand the concepts of swing planes, and the importance of grip and posture - the only way I got into a position where I was able to think about plane and over emphasise the in to out motion needed to cure my wicked slice was through repetition, and I mean over a thousand balls within a few weeks. I literally hammered 100 balls per range session several times a week with a driver, this then transferred to the course (ish).

My issue now is a complete lack of consistency with my irons so I have every intention of taking a couple of lessons and then doing exactly the same thing, smashing a thousand plus balls until I have it ingrained and have the option of working on specifics, right now I just need to be able to get the ball in the air and make it go forward, currently every time I am over the ball with an iron during a round I literally have no confidence in where it is going to go or how far, the only way to cure that has to be through repetition. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. Covert
      (73 years old)
    2. Robert Diddings
      Robert Diddings
      (32 years old)
  • Blog Entries