IGNORED

Haney talks about Tiger again

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The definition of a misleading stat is one that doesn't support your point.

Wow ... sometimes stats are misleading because they are general in nature and don't tell the entire story.

Generally, it is wise to know what a stat says ... and doesn't say. Sometimes one must do the hard work of analyzing the detail in a stat.

But heck, we're talking golf... and we all have opinions...  so who starts the pool of when is Foley gone? ...

:bugout:

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't believe no one has labeled Haney a racist...yet.

Because the Black community doesn't hold Tiger up like they do Obama. Basically Tiger has but a wall between himself and that part of the black community. Tiger isn't out spoken about that, and doesn't use his position. So unless you are talking about Friend Chicken, no one is going to call Haney a racist for writing a book about Tiger.

The definition of a misleading stat is one that doesn't support your point.

Wrong!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Wow ... sometimes stats are misleading because they are general in nature and don't tell the entire story.

Generally, it is wise to know what a stat says ... and doesn't say. Sometimes one must do the hard work of analyzing the detail in a stat.

But heck, we're talking golf... and we all have opinions...  so who starts the pool of when is Foley gone? ...

What detailed analysis?  A little anecdotal comment about the British Open is hardly detailed analysis.  The fact remains that in the two years in which you claim Tiger lost confidence in driving he had his 3rd and 5th best years of combining driving distance and driving accuracy, as measured against the rest of the tour.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

What detailed analysis?  A little anecdotal comment about the British Open is hardly detailed analysis.  The fact remains that in the two years in which you claim Tiger lost confidence in driving he had his 3rd and 5th best years of combining driving distance and driving accuracy, as measured against the rest of the tour.

If you think I'm going to do detailed analysis on a golf board, well It ain't gonna' happen. I was talking in general about stats. In particular, I remember the commentators at the British Open stating how Tiger was at a distinct disadvantage with his long approach shots If you don't get it about stats, it's not my issue. I tried to help

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If you think I'm going to do detailed analysis on a golf board, well It ain't gonna' happen.

I was talking in general about stats. In particular, I remember the commentators at the British Open stating how Tiger was at a distinct disadvantage with his long approach shots

If you don't get it about stats, it's not my issue. I tried to help

I DO get it about stats.  Why is it that when someone disagrees it is that they just don't "get it"?  Why are you personalizing it?

While certainly not perfect, stats are invariably more reliable than anecdotal stories.  Which is the only basis you've stated for claiming the fact, that the years you said Tiger lost confidence were 2 of his best 5 in that category, was misleading.  What I don't get is how you imply that someone must do the hard work of analyzing a stat to see if it is valid, yet you declare a stat is misleading without doing that detailed analysis.  But as you say, it is just a golf forum.  You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I DO get it about stats.  Why is it that when someone disagrees it is that they just don't "get it"?  Why are you personalizing it?

While certainly not perfect, stats are invariably more reliable than anecdotal stories.  Which is the only basis you've stated for claiming the fact, that the years you said Tiger lost confidence were 2 of his best 5 in that category, was misleading.  What I don't get is how you imply that someone must do the hard work of analyzing a stat to see if it is valid, yet you declare a stat is misleading without doing that detailed analysis.  But as you say, it is just a golf forum.  You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

You're the one who made the snippy remark.

The so-called anecdotal remark is in a stat somewhere. I remember seeing the stat, the data, during the Open w graphics.

I tried to stay above-board by explaining one must look at the detail in the stats. Look, stats give general data. But if you want the real story, one needs to look at trends, and/or what occurred at various times of the year.

If you had a NFL team that went 13-3, and the other went 9-7, and were meeting each other in the playoffs, those stats would indicate that the 13-3 team would probably win. Now if you dug deeper, and it was revealed the 13-3 team lost their last 3 games, while the 9-7 team won their last 6 games, your opinion might change.

No big deal ... but your remark indicated you did not get the weakness of stats.

I'm not sure why but Haney doesn't bother me one bit. Sure he's promoting stuff once in a while but don't understand the backlash anytime he comments on Tiger. I'm not preaching that Haney is a god send but it seems anytime he has something to say about Tiger it's held to a different standard. How about the times when he's complementing him? Just last week I was watching Chamblee go on and on about how good tiger is..

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I'm not sure why but Haney doesn't bother me one bit. Sure he's promoting stuff once in a while but don't understand the backlash anytime he comments on Tiger. I'm not preaching that Haney is a god send but it seems anytime he has something to say about Tiger it's held to a different standard. How about the times when he's complementing him? Just last week I was watching Chamblee go on and on about how good tiger is..

I couldn't agree more with your assessment, Haney's most recent comment about spending a lot of time in the gym lift about tiger , was the result ( answer) to a question asked of him. His answer was an opinion based on his own experience of Tiger woods and his own experience of teaching golf to other golfers.

The irony of it all is look at last weeks tourney in AZ the second place guy( bubba) has a rather unorthodox swing and plays by feel rather than technique. He was quoted as saying that it doesn't matter how you get the ball in the hole.  The first Place winner, Stadler probably stopped at Taco bell after his round, drove by 2-3 gyms on his way home to the lazy boy to watch the superbowl.

Haneys point is lifting weights and getting big may not be helping or the time doing so might be better used practicing 5 foot putts and his driver.

The emperor doesn't wear clothes

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree more with your assessment, Haney's most recent comment about spending a lot of time in the gym lift about tiger , was the result ( answer) to a question asked of him. His answer was an opinion based on his own experience of Tiger woods and his own experience of teaching golf to other golfers.

The irony of it all is look at last weeks tourney in AZ the second place guy( bubba) has a rather unorthodox swing and plays by feel rather than technique. He was quoted as saying that it doesn't matter how you get the ball in the hole.  The first Place winner, Stadler probably stopped at Taco bell after his round, drove by 2-3 gyms on his way home to the lazy boy to watch the superbowl.

Haneys point is lifting weights and getting big may not be helping or the time doing so might be better used practicing 5 foot putts and his driver.

The emperor doesn't wear clothes

Yet Tiger has 79 PGA tour wins, and Stadler has 1, his dad had 13 PGA tour wins, Bubba has 4 PGA tour wins.

Wait, Tiger has 36 PGA tour wins from 2003 till 2009, the years he began developing his body more. Then in 2009 he had his incident with the Buick and a golf club.

45% of his wins came when he was buffing up.

Just saying, the man won a lot of golf tournaments while bulking.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!