IGNORED

New driver and 3 wood?

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, I currently play a Ping G10 driver, and K15 3 wood, bothe purchased from TGW. I assume the driver is what(?), 4 - 5 years old? Anyways, would the avg joe golfer like myself really benefit by buying a new driver? I am sure the technology has improved over the past years. Or can I get similar benefits by being fitted for a new shaft, rather than spend the $300 - $400 for a new driver? At age 57, on a good day, I can drive a total distance of 260. And a new driver, whatever the technology, I doubt will give me 30 - 40 more yards. More accuracy, perhaps. But I guess with a decent shaft, maybe for < $100, I can gain maybe 10 - 15 yards and accuracy just the same? Similary with my 3 wood? Which I might just reshaft, since I hit this a mile, very accurate both off the deck and from the tee. Whay say you all?

One of the biggest changes I noticed going from an Adams redline driver (2000 ish) to a R11 was how much better the off center hits preformed. Im probably going to be upgrading again this year i kinda feel in love with the X Hot last year. The X Hot seemed even more forgiving than my R11. I don't think the distance between a new driver and your ping will be much different but I'd bet you could tell the difference when you slightly miss hit the newer equipment.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey all,

I currently play a Ping G10 driver, and K15 3 wood, bothe purchased from TGW. I assume the driver is what(?), 4 - 5 years old? Anyways, would the avg joe golfer like myself really benefit by buying a new driver? I am sure the technology has improved over the past years. Or can I get similar benefits by being fitted for a new shaft, rather than spend the $300 - $400 for a new driver? At age 57, on a good day, I can drive a total distance of 260. And a new driver, whatever the technology, I doubt will give me 30 - 40 more yards. More accuracy, perhaps. But I guess with a decent shaft, maybe for < $100, I can gain maybe 10 - 15 yards and accuracy just the same? Similary with my 3 wood? Which I might just reshaft, since I hit this a mile, very accurate both off the deck and from the tee. Whay say you all?

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30084519/taylormade-r1-driver

One of the longest drivers in the past 5 years, at $200 dollars.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Alohaed definitely worth getting an adjustable driver, and it is fun getting the setting right, I got an mizuno MP.630 on ebay for 40 pounds, put 10 yards on my drive and much more accurate. Also another advantage is on windy days slide the weights forwards for low trajectory, if the course has all the trouble on a particular side change the bias, I'm after now a 3 wood to do the same.

For both driver and 3W, do a side-by-side with newer models to see which works better. The G10 driver might lose out to some of the newer models.

As for the K15, this low-profile 16* 3W gets the ball up nicely for players with moderate swing speeds. You might find something better, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up keeping it.

I got solid test hits from the K15 FWs when the model came out, but never did buy any.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!