IGNORED

I think I can become a scratch golfer after 1 year of playing

GITrDONE
Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like you to prove everyone wrong on this thread.

Golf is a very difficult thing to become good at, like most sports.

It takes time and hard work, and golf is an individual sport, so theres no one else to lean on. You can become as good as you want to, take it as serious as you want to.

So it is up to you what to do now, with the right resources, people and equipment you can achieve this goal

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say you have about a 1% chance. Getting to a 5-10 handicap is not really that hard. I mean i wouldnt say its easy, but those last little strokes require you to be in total control and consistent. I dont think you will even gain the knowledge it takes to become a scratch golfer. Course management plays a major role in becoming a "scratch" golfer.

Good luck in your quest but I would say you wont do it.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it and practice hard. Don't listen to anyone telling you different just because they couldn't do it. I will say this and you have heard it all before but practice, practice, practice your short game till you have so much confidence you cant practice it anymore. No matter how good a ball striker you become you will miss some greens and getting up and down will allow you to be scratch plus hitting it close will get ya some birds to cover the bogeys.

With hard work and some athleticism, you can get to be single digit in about a year. You are talking about playing 18 holes, making 1 birdie, one double bogey, 8 pars and 8 bogeys. Thats an 81 for a par 72 course and about a 9 handicap on a 122 slope. Not that difficult but taknig it to the next level that you are talking about takes a whole different level of commitment. There is a lot of pain involved.

Greg Norman became scratch in a year but that is one of the greatest golfers in history.

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

I will jump on the 0% wagon. Again, proving us wrong would be cool for sure... but it is highly unlikely. Just because a person is athletic and dedicated doesn't mean they will morph into a great golfer over night after a little practice the day before. It usually takes years of hard work and thousands of range balls. I am an athletic, competitive guy as well but I am still not scratch, and I have been playing for 5 years now (the first 4 was actually playing a lot, 5-6 times per week during the summer season... the last year I only played twice) and now I am just going on my 6th year.

Weather is probably a factor, if you live somewhere where the sky is blue 6 days a week and never see snow than you will get to play whenever you want and practice whenever you want and that will definitely help... but if you have a job, a girlfriend, are in college or university.. etc... than I can't see you getting enough time in for practice.

There are soooo many things to learn about golf other than the fundamentals as well. Learning how to work the ball in certain situations and learning how to pick your shots instead of always thinking in the present (I have hit many balls into hazards with driver when I should've just hit an iron off the tee). Etiquette, the swing, patience, shot making... etc... all takes a long time. Those are the reasons that I do not think that you can become a scratch golfer in 1 years time.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

i give it 50% if you practice enouggh and get your short game good the u should definatly be able to and have plenty of lessons. good luck leme kno how you get on wth it.

Why in the HELL did you resurect this thread to answer the question of a guy who doesn't post on here anymore and was a bad seed when he did?

I would like you to prove everyone wrong on this thread.

I say you have about a 1% chance. Getting to a 5-10 handicap is not really that hard. I mean i wouldnt say its easy, but those last little strokes require you to be in total control and consistent. I dont think you will even gain the knowledge it takes to become a scratch golfer. Course management plays a major role in becoming a "scratch" golfer.

I never say anything is impossible unless it defies the laws of physics or science.

You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it and practice hard. Don't listen to anyone telling you different just because they couldn't do it. I will say this and you have heard it all before but practice, practice, practice your short game till you have so much confidence you cant practice it anymore. No matter how good a ball striker you become you will miss some greens and getting up and down will allow you to be scratch plus hitting it close will get ya some birds to cover the bogeys.

With hard work and some athleticism, you can get to be single digit in about a year. You are talking about playing 18 holes, making 1 birdie, one double bogey, 8 pars and 8 bogeys. Thats an 81 for a par 72 course and about a 9 handicap on a 122 slope. Not that difficult but taknig it to the next level that you are talking about takes a whole different level of commitment. There is a lot of pain involved.

I will jump on the 0% wagon. Again, proving us wrong would be cool for sure... but it is highly unlikely. Just because a person is athletic and dedicated doesn't mean they will morph into a great golfer over night after a little practice the day before. It usually takes years of hard work and thousands of range balls. I am an athletic, competitive guy as well but I am still not scratch, and I have been playing for 5 years now (the first 4 was actually playing a lot, 5-6 times per week during the summer season... the last year I only played twice) and now I am just going on my 6th year.

Why are the rest of you continuing to post on this thread that should be dead, and thus encouraging the practice of resurrecting old pointless threads. You guys have been here a while and should've noticed the OP is long gone and thus the question is moot.

anyway... I was just curious.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

you could do it in 3 years from nothing, but you would have to be a genius to do it in 1. Its like this: the probability of you making it to scratch in 1 year is lower than Bill Clinton being re elected a President of the USA- about 3000000000/1!

K Honestly someone close this topic, its sooo old. Its pointless to be bringing it up because this member no longer posts here, so your talking to nobody.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

After two summers of playing golf im down to a seven, but wheras i live in MA i get only 5-6 months of play. One year down to a scratch seems possible, if you are unemployed and plan of sleeping at the clubhouse. The best way to get close to a scratch handicapper is as we all know practise CHIPPING AND PUTTING!

• Administrator
Why in the HELL did you resurect this thread to answer the question of a guy who doesn't post on here anymore and was a bad seed when he did?

It's not worth finding out. Thread closed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!