IGNORED

Ping irons that will last

Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently got a job at a golf shop and I am getting a good discount on golf clubs. I want to purchase a set of irons that will last me for years to come, aprox. 5-7 years.

While I was getting my old irons fitted at a golf course, my fitter said all he plays is PING because they last so long. During the fitting he bent the lie angle of my irons to me and while he was doing it he once again remarked, " With these irons you will want to check the lie every 6 months, with PING irons you could hit them one million times and they would stay the same."

Basically he was recomending PING irons, kind of a bad time to do it! Anyways, I was wondering if this guy is right, do PING irons last longer? If so, you can bet I will go out and buy a set!

For all of you who have PING iron sets, please post how long you've had them and how they're holding up (I know a lot of people still play the PING Eye 2's).

Thanks

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

I've had my G2's for a little over three years now. I've had the lie angle checked twice on them and they've always been good. Other than a few scratches on the soles from rocks, they don't look much different from when I bought them. Grooves have held up well too.

I'm going tomorrow to a demo day to try the new i 10's as I'm looking for something with less offset. The G2's were my first set of Pings, but the quality of product and customer service has me staying with their product.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

For all of you who have PING iron sets, please post how long you've had them and how they're holding up (I know a lot of people still play the PING Eye 2's).

I don't still have my Ping Eye2+ irons, but wish I did.

I bought my Ping Eye2+ irons in 1986 and played them until 2002. They were still in great condition when I sold them. My best estimate is I played the Pings for about 700 18-hole rounds and, as I said before, they were still in great condition when sold in 2002.

I am on my third year with G2 irons, play roughly 50 times per year. The finish and grooves are in excellent condition, if anything, the finish gets somewhat more shinny with use. I wish they wore more, I need an excuse to buy a new set. I have seen some newer Ping irons where the badge has fallen off though.

907D2 10.5*
F60 15*
Rapture 18, 21 hybrids
S58 5-PW
Tour 52, 56, 60 degree wedges Newport 2.5 TP Black Edge bag

I had been unhappy with my clubs for ages and about 6 months ago bought a used set of BeCu Eye2+'s (3-SW) and haven't looked back. They were not properly custom fit but I completed the PING online Web-Fit and found a set that where the recommended dot color for me.

They are obviously old clubs but are still in great nick and having lost 3 shots of my handicap since my purchase I don't plan on changing for a long time.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

A little OT (sort of) but I was at the driving range yesterday, and in a trash barrel was a broken PING G2 (or maybe a G3, don't completely remember) 7-iron. Obviously it didn't last too long for somebody. I should think that would have to have been someone taking out their frustration on the club rather than just spontaneously breaking like that. Anyway, I'm sort of kicking myself for not grabbing it and getting a new shaft put on it, but I thought the erstwhile owner might have a change of heart and come back looking for their club.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

A little OT (sort of) but I was at the driving range yesterday, and in a trash barrel was a broken PING G2 (or maybe a G3, don't completely remember) 7-iron. Obviously it didn't last too long for somebody. I should think that would have to have been someone taking out their frustration on the club rather than just spontaneously breaking like that. Anyway, I'm sort of kicking myself for not grabbing it and getting a new shaft put on it, but I thought the erstwhile owner might have a change of heart and come back looking for their club.

I'm 99% sure there's no such thing as a Ping G3, perhaps you meant G5?

Alas, point still taken.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Playing my second set of Ping irons (ISIs) and working on year four with them. They look PRECISELY the same as they did when I bought them, if not slightly shinier like a previous poster mentioned.

My "old" Pings are Karsten I's and they have. . . grayed a bit, but the grooves are still in great shape and the iron numbers are crisp. They were probably 20 years old when they were given to me several years ago.

The only reason I bought the ISI set is because I got a sweet deal on them at Play It Again b/c I traded a set of Snake Eyes that I won. I also needed some newer tech and wouldn't consider anything other than Ping.

They still make me happy every time I pick one up and address a golf ball.

Also, I don't think five years is long to keep irons unless you practice and play a forged carbon steel set daily. In other words, with a five-year lifespan, I would think even knockoffs and Target/Wal-Mart sets would last just fine, so steel pro-line brands should do it without sweating. Would others agree?

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

While I got my i5's only this year a buddy of mine has the Eye2+ that he got from his grandfather and he can't say enuff good stuff about them. He had Ping check them out and all they recommended was a regripping.

That story reconfirmed again I made the right choice in purchasing Pings...the number one reasons were i hit them the best and the ping customer service is aces.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

All Ping irons last. As with all used clubs, check the grooves.

They're indestructible.

Bag chatter? Nah.

Groove wear on the PW from I3 serious players that hit 120 wedges daily and have played I3 blades every day since they bought 'em in sandy soil? Seen that, too. Groove wear? What groove wear?

Ping quality. Can't beat it.

Ping Eye 2 Black dot - Bought new in 1982

The groves on the wedges, 9, & 8, are showing some wear but they still work for me. I would love to get them restored to new but I don't think Ping does that? I could be wrong... I think I will look at the new G10's just for fun.
In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

As for brandon's comment, I assure you a set of carbon steel irons ( the MP-32's I have now) are not going to last. I had a set of TP Taylormade Combo irons I bought in 2004 and they lasted 3 years, and that was pushing it a little (when the grooves get worn to the point of affecting my greenside performance, its time to switch). As a matter of fact, I sold my buddy a set of Ben Hogan Apex Plus iron's and he has played them for approx. 3.5 years and all of the faces are golden.

Anyways, I know a player on the Florida University golf team and he plays the S58 irons and likes them alot. He said that switching to carbon steel irons to PING irons sucked though. He said that the PING's don't have nearly as much feel and just don't feel as solid. But i'll tell you what, if I can get away with keeping them until I get out of college I'll be a happy camper.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!