• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
billyjuliano

Web.com - Brazil Champions pics and a personal highlight

As promised, wanted to share some pics and things that I saw today at the Web.com - Brazil Champions today.

The weather was great, and the last group teed off by 12:15. I went with my two sons, and we began following Jon Curran and Alex Cejka.

Curran shot a 69 to win. He did not seem to be threatened by Cejka. But the highlight - at least to us - was the terrific up and down he had on the par 3, 211 y 15th. Cejka played first and landed the ball on the green. Curran, though, left it short, to the right, under the trees and  beyond the fence. Look at the pic below. You can spot the ball on the right, lower corner, close a branch. He had a tree, a big bunker and perhaps 8 y to land the ball on the green. He pulled (what I think to be) a 56 and.... bam, on the green, 5 y pin high. Wow. Crowd went nuts.

We were standing very close to Curran, perhaps 15 feet. Right after he hit his shot, my younger son and I went "Go, go, go!!!" and the ball went :-)

Well, after he putted for his par, he gave his ball to my son. My son couldn't be happier. He owns the champion's Srixon now. He'll have a hard time to sleep today.

That's what I love about golf. These guys not only are masters on what they do, but the interaction with the crowd and proximity to the action is unique to this sport. We're all pumped up now to go out there and shoot the round of our lives.

Nice story, and congratz to your Son..Thanks for the pic's.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • Same here with spin...too much emphasis and misinformation about low spin being the cat's ass.  I picked up a G30LST a few years back.  Ball just fell out if the sky.  Spin rates of 1500-1700.Even at 110 mph and 10 degree launch, positive AOA...without enough spin it goes nowhere. I got fitted for an M2/HZRDUS yellow and hit it a good 20+ yards further.  It carries further and rolls out with a better decent angle.  Spin rates are more around 2200-2300.
    • I've spent the week of Thanksgiving in Pinehuerst (at Talamore, actually) every year since 2007.  We've had a very few frost delays, and most years its really pleasant.  We've played in shorts lots of times.  Myrtle Beach will be about the same, or slightly warmer. Its a great time for either, not at all crowded, less slow play problems, easier to get a seat in a restaurant, you'll love it.  If you decide on Pinehurst, I can recommend a few good places.
    • I have these too, I like the look.  I really doubt that there's any advantage to be gained.
    • You could vote 0 if that number is closer to the percentage than 1. That's why there's a "0" option.
    • I'm still recovering from my golf marathon, but I'll write just a little bit now.  First and foremost, this was an absolute blast, thanks to the huge effort of the organizers, @mvmac and @iacas, to the sponsors, to the staff at Talamore and MidSouth, and to the attitude and efforts of all of the players.  I was lucky enough this past week to play with every one of my teammates (when I count my pre- and post-tournament fun rounds), and against every player on the West team except for @Golfingdad.  Ten matches total for the 2015 and 2017 Newport Cups, and I haven't been in the group with him once.  Fortunately, I've been able to play with him in Palm Springs a couple of times. I loved the matches, from watching @Pretzel and @phillyk bomb it almost off the planet, to watching my partner @bkuehn1952 sink every putt inside 10 feet (keeping the pressure off of me), to seeing @mchepp try to grind me to dust, one crumb at a time.  I enjoyed the mix  of personalities, the wide range of ages, over 40 years from top to bottom, the huge variations in our golf games.  I'm REALLY happy that the top end of the ages was victorious in the end.  I'm absolutely amazed that the end result was this close once again, although it may just be an indication that we all have reasonably accurate handicaps.   As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, a few of us blue team players talked about the challenge balls on Friday night, with most of it being less than completely enthusiastic.  As it turned out, however, I thought the challenge was pretty exhilarating, really ramping up the pressure.  Of course, my match on Saturday with @mchepp was nothing but pressure to start with, I'm not sure I needed to ramp it up any more.  You know, for us old guys, a heart attack on 18 tee wouldn't be a good thing.   Enough for now.  Once again, my thanks go out to @iacas and @mvmac, the sponsors, the venues, the players, and especially to @RandallT for keeping my lovely wife informed.
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

• Get Great Gear with Amazon