IGNORED

My Swing (Shakogolfer78)

shakogolfer78
Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years

My current handicap index or average score is:  8.5

My typical ball flight is:  high fade or low pull

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  The weak slice that causes me to lose a lot of distance.

Well here goes nothing.  My natural swing looks pretty ugly to me.  I have always been very flat and that has caused my fade/slice and my pull.  I really don't like my head movement "dip" from the top of the downswing, but I know that this is caused by my body reacting to my flat takeaway (The club has to get back to the ball somehow, right?).

I would say that my strengths of my game are definitely putting and my short game.  I always feel that I can get it up and down from anywhere, and a lot of times I need to to salvage a good round.  I struggle with solid contact with my longer clubs, and I have never been known as "long" hitter.

I really hope to get some good advice to get me away from taking such large divots with my irons (classic OTT move).  I am a young guy at 23, but I want to enjoy this game for a long time and there have been a few swings where I have really done some damage to my elbow with this large divot.

Sorry for rambling but I wanted to let people know the state of my game and what I want to accomplish with this thread.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I shot a few videos on my V1 app today hoping to get them uploaded tonight, but it seems that all my videos have been deleted.

I will try and get some swings posted asap.  Sorry...

• 1 month later...

Well here goes nothing.  On video I think my swing looks really ugly.  I know there is a lot of work to do, but I am ready for the challange.  I apologize for the lame videos.  It was really windy today, and I just figured out how to use my V1 app.

As far as video technique goes, I think I need to have the camera (for a DTL swing) aligned with my feet, correct?  I think my angle is a little off.  For my setup I used my iPhone, an alignment stick, and a Cradlez phone holster.  This device is great for filming swings.

Enough talking, here is my 7 Iron swing face on:

Here is the 7 iron from down-the-line:

• Administrator

Do a lot of this drill and make sure EVERY ball PUSHES and DRAWS.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Hey @iacas thanks for the great drill.  I went to the range today to work on this move specifically.  I still think my wrists are way to active around impact, but I did start to see the ball draw and draw more the more I used the drill.  I have to admit, I haven't practiced this much, so I just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly before I really try and master this drill.

Looking at some of my footage, I noticed that in my setup it looked like I had a lot of knee bend, and I had the feeling of my weight more in heels.  I found this video of Like Donald talking about the proper golf posture, and I consciously tried to get my weight more in the balls of my feet and feel like I was "tipping" over at the waist and letting my arms hang.  I went on a golf trip to Desert Mountain trying to work on this setup, and it resulted in four days of solid ball striking.  Great video in my opinion, and definitely something for me to work on.

• 3 weeks later...
First practice session after my Aimpoint lesson. The string really has helped me visualize my Aimpoint and gives a lot of feedback on the quality of putt (push/pull/square). I noticed that a lot of times I would under read the break before aim point and compensate the putter to get the ball on the proper line. I will try and post my SAM putt lab results up tomorrow. Hey @iacas with that information would you be able to see if I am accelerating or "lettering the putt drop" onto the ball? In regards to the thread debunking the old adage to accelerate through the ball.

• Administrator
I will try and post my SAM putt lab results up tomorrow. Hey @iacas with that information would you be able to see if I am accelerating or "lettering the putt drop" onto the ball? In regards to the thread debunking the old adage to accelerate through the ball.

Look at your "movement dynamics." Pretty sure that's what it's called.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

So… those are the screens that need some work. Specifically the last one to start.

After reading the "do NOT accelerate" putting thread, I will start focusing on doing the coin drill on the practice green. Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks! @iacas for the effective loft slide isn't that number supposed to be closer to 2? If so, would you suggest I try a little forward press to bring this down?

• Administrator

@iacas for the effective loft slide isn't that number supposed to be closer to 2?

If so, would you suggest I try a little forward press to bring this down?

Yes. And yes. Or let the putter "load" a little bit in the backswing.

I prefer AoA of +2-3° and Loft of 1-2°.

Played a tough course this weekend and my lowest score of the year! 79 from about 6500 yards and a 142 slope. Felt really good to break 80, and I was amazed with how well I hit my driver. I keep it in the fairway and it was longer than normal. On at least 4 holes I was well past my previous long drives. I didn't even putt that well, but I avoided any blowups and really got around the course well. Made a lot of smart decisions that gave me a shot at par, but took the others out of play. All in all, really happy with my play!

Nice!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played a round today after a weekend filled with wakeboarding/surfing, jetskiing many other cabin activities.... Needless to say I was sore in muscles I didn't know I had, so I prepared for the worst. To my surprise, I played very well even if my swing was out-of-sorts. Shot an 80 on a very tight course in the north woods. Not very long (6200) but it was demanding off the tee with a 140 slope. Driver wasn't as good as the last few rounds, but I blame my stiff muscles more than anything. Putting was spectacular. Thanks to my Aimpoint lesson I had earlier this month I drained a lot of short to mid range putts. I did give away a few strokes to some poor game-planning on the back. On the par 4 11th I convinced myself to hit driver to a narrow fairway surrounding my trees and swamp. When I should have laid back with a 3w or hybrid. That would have taken double out of the equation and left me with another 79. Oh well. There is always room for improvement that why this game is so great. Really happy with my last two rounds 79-80, and I thank aim point and lowest score wins for the improvement! I don't think it is a coincidence that after I read the book and took the Aimpoint class I have had my two best rounds of the year.

Good stuff man hopefully you continue to get better and better... I really like the pointers and things to work on the moderators give:)

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

• 1 month later...

Good stuff man hopefully you continue to get better and better... I really like the pointers and things to work on the moderators give:)

Thanks for the support!  I really haven't played too much as of late, but I have a strategy session at my local golf gym/center this week.  I got a free hour lesson that is going to include a TPI fitness test, K-vest swing analysis, and some time on the Trackman. :dance:

I want to talk with them about possible coaching programs for this winter because I would really like to try and fix my takeaway and my weight shift on the downswing.

I have a big charity event coming up in September, so I plan on playing a lot in the next month.  I will keep everyone posted.

Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!