IGNORED

do player's irons hit farther than game improvement?

Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just based on the club itself say a robot were to swing my slingshot and a ping g5, against say a ping I5 or a mizuno mp-60. any thoughts? i am thinking of upgrading my irons and i already hit the ball pretty far(PW ~150yds) but my problem is that they go really really high. someone recomended i get new shafts but by the time i go through all that i might as well get new irons. anyway original question is more or less just out of curiousity.

thanks
-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Actually, depending on the irons and your swing, player's irons may well be slightly shorter than game improvement irons. Players' irons tend to have weaker lofts than the same number iron in a game improvement iron. For instance, my MP60 PW has 47 degrees of loft, but my old TA5 PW was 45 degrees. As you might imagine, my MP60s play roughly 5 yards less than I used to play my TA5s.

However, as with most things golf, it's not always so simple. GI irons are usually designed to launch higher than player's irons, which will add distance for most higher handicap players, but may actually result in a ballooning ball for lower handicappers, costing them distance.

If there's a store or a range around you where you can demo several different models, that's the way to go. Overall distance with irons is not that important. What you really want is accuracy. See what model gives you the tightest dispersion and best ball flight.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No. They won't give you more distance.

But since you hit a PW 150 yards, you needn't worry yourself over such things as distance -- or labels, i.e., game improvement vs. players'.

Find a clubfitter that'll put a set of Rifle 6.5 shafts into a set of Ping Eye2 irons.

That'll work.

just based on the club itself say a robot were to swing my slingshot and a ping g5, against say a ping I5 or a mizuno mp-60. any thoughts? i am thinking of upgrading my irons and i already hit the ball pretty far(PW ~150yds) but my problem is that they go really really high. someone recomended i get new shafts but by the time i go through all that i might as well get new irons. anyway original question is more or less just out of curiousity.

I would guess that they don't, for the same lofts (not to be confused with the number of the club). However, my understanding is that player's irons will allow you more shotmaking -- there are shots that one cannot hit with my "super game improvement" irons, because the iron will "think" it's a miss-hit.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your iron yardages are fine if you're OK with hitting a PW 150 yards.

Does your ball-striking measure up to the equipment you're playing vs. the players' irons (read: iron specs) you're looking at?

http://www.golfclubspec.com/irons_sp...g.php?mfg=Nike

You're playing Slingshots and comparing them to Ping I5s? What do you consider "players'" irons? Slingshots are fat. Not "phat". Fat. It's your handicap and ability and what you want to look down on, my friend.

Loft, lie, ability. It's your choice.

Actually, depending on the irons and your swing, player's irons may well be slightly shorter than game improvement irons. Players' irons tend to have weaker lofts than the same number iron in a game improvement iron. For instance, my MP60 PW has 47 degrees of loft, but my old TA5 PW was 45 degrees. As you might imagine, my MP60s play roughly 5 yards less than I used to play my TA5s.

DITTO Could not have said it any better. Great advise...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

• 2 weeks later...
A player's iron is meant for being able to do shot shaping. A game improvement iron is for forgiveness. Not saying that is all these irons do.

Whats in my bag:
Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5 with stiff ProForce V2 75g
Wood: r7 Steel 4 wood stiff stock shaft
Hybrid: 3DX ironwood 3 with stiff Aldila NV Hybrid shaft
Irons: r7 with Project X 6.0 +1"Wedges: 52, 56, 60 spin milledPutter: Rossa Corzina

150 w/pitching wedge is like real flippen good. I really don't know if I can reach that i will try tomorrow. Had a lesson and the pro looked at my clubs, I think he wished I got steel shafts instead of graphite, or at least stiff graphite instead of regular. Sorry for jacking your thread.

Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!