IGNORED

Tips for playing on a course with hard greens

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So recently I have gotten a job at one of the top courses in my area and I will be getting free golf there so naturally It will be my new home course.

The problem is that this course was built only 4 years ago so the greens play very very hard.  My old style of play around the greens was normally to play very high shots and have them roll out a few feet and stop.  However I am not sure if this will work around these harder and much faster greens.

So what kind of tips can you guys offer for playing on greens that are a lot harder and faster than what I am used to?  Will I need to change my greenside play to a more bump and run style?

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Not sure I follow. If the greens are firm and fast, a high soft shot would certainly work well. A bump and run is going to roll more. Is this a link-ish style course?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You seem very confused.  Jack Nicklaus had great success on courses with hard and fast greens BECAUSE he hit the ball so high.

If you are playing on hard greens, yes, you might need to approach a lot of greens by hitting short and letting it run up.

Surely you can work this out. Maybe after playing your first round there you'll have an idea.

You may as well ask for suggestions about how to play a course with long water carries. Errr.. You hit over them or you work you way around the perimeter if there is one.

You are asking strangers what you should do. You do what seems logical. If what you are doing doesn't work you do the alternative strategy which will be apparent to you when you are playing. If you are running over the back all the time, hit it shorter.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So recently I have gotten a job at one of the top courses in my area and I will be getting free golf there so naturally It will be my new home course.

The problem is that this course was built only 4 years ago so the greens play very very hard.  My old style of play around the greens was normally to play very high shots and have them roll out a few feet and stop.  However I am not sure if this will work around these harder and much faster greens.

So what kind of tips can you guys offer for playing on greens that are a lot harder and faster than what I am used to?  Will I need to change my greenside play to a more bump and run style?

should work. I played for years with a very high ball flight and had success on many type of greens.

Any tips, I would say get use to playing the course and what shots you are comfortable with. I know guys who play hard fast courses really well with a low ball flight. They just know how to hit the ball into a bank, or where to fly it to let it run out. You do what you have to do to score.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!