IGNORED

Coordinating a golf outing

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I decided earlier this year that it might be fun to do a golf outing with some coworkers of mine.

I'm looking at the weekend after the 4th of July and have received interest from 14 people (including myself) that said they'd want to play.

I've never done a golf outing and was wondering if anyone here had and if they could give me some advice.  More than likely, the round will take place at a municipal course since I'm not a member of a course.

Do courses do discounts for outings?  Is it an inappropriate question to ask?

How much advance notice should I give before I call.  It's roughly two months out but I don't know how quickly it fills up.

Is an putting down a deposit expected?

These are the questions I have at the moment but if anyone's ever coordinated an outing, I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I decided earlier this year that it might be fun to do a golf outing with some coworkers of mine.

I'm looking at the weekend after the 4th of July and have received interest from 14 people (including myself) that said they'd want to play.

I've never done a golf outing and was wondering if anyone here had and if they could give me some advice.  More than likely, the round will take place at a municipal course since I'm not a member of a course.

Do courses do discounts for outings?  Is it an inappropriate question to ask?

How much advance notice should I give before I call.  It's roughly two months out but I don't know how quickly it fills up.

Is an putting down a deposit expected?

These are the questions I have at the moment but if anyone's ever coordinated an outing, I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

Asking wouldn't hurt. I am not sure about discounts, I think it depends on the course and how the payment plan is set up.

Not entirely sure, but you can always call some courses and ask how far in advance they usually require or what other outings have given them.

I think it depends on the course really. I would suspect if the course is holding the event, such as using its employees to help organize it, then maybe. If you are holding tee times, I doubt it, though they might require some sort of down payment just in case you cancel. I am sure they have a deadline to cancel by. I would just call around and inquire what is required.

Basically I would just call around and ask. Just phrase it like you are considering setting up an outing, what you need to do to set one up, and what the course requires. I would call a handful of courses asking the same questions to get a feel for it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I too have just coordinated a 2 day 2 course overnight golf outing! Here's what I found! Most courses will accommodate a golf society, wether your a member or not, so don't just limit yourselves to a municipal! Most courses will happily offer you a discount package, especially if there is a party of 12 or more playing. If you plan on playing during a weekday, (particularly not a Saturday) the prices can be very negotiable, if they won't budge on green fees, they will most likely offer you sweeteners, ie free breakfast, half price carts, 27 holes for 18, range balls, cheap lunch! Etc A deposit will most likely be required, depending on the club, you may even be required to sign a contract with a strict cancellation policy, if your taking 14 tee times, 14 meals, and in my case, 6 rooms, they quite rightly need assurance your going to turn up or at least cancel with plenty of notice! Here's what I would do: Pick 3 desired courses, phone them all and tell them of your plans, explain you have to stick to a budget to make it affordable to all members of your society, ask for their quote and deposit required, depending on their package offer, then ask if they could do you a deal on food, and carts ..if required, Once you have thrashed all the details out, decide with your friends the best option, collect 50% deposits of everyone! Those who pay you are the ones who want to be involved, those who don't... Don't! Finally, book, pay, and look forward to a great day out!
  • Upvote 1

Gaz Lee

• 2 months later...
So, I'm bumping this thread because the golf outing is taking place next Saturday and I have two questions that I hope someone can answer for me. Because of the various skill levels between the people I figure we'll do a scramble. It's my understanding that in a scramble, all four people tee off and the team select which is the best shot. Then the other three drop where the best shot is and shoot their approach shots and continue to do that until they're on the green. There were going to be 8 of us but one person that said they'd play now cannot. My questions are: 1) If there are only 7 players, what's the fairest way to do the scramble? Should I put the perceived weakest player with the best player and a middle of the road player on team with only 3 people? 2) For shots into the green, once all the players on a team have shot and if only one gets on the green, do the other players drop and putt from where the person on the green has their shot (presuming the team feels that's the best shot) or are there different rules?

Christian

So, I'm bumping this thread because the golf outing is taking place next Saturday and I have two questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

Because of the various skill levels between the people I figure we'll do a scramble.

It's my understanding that in a scramble, all four people tee off and the team select which is the best shot. Then the other three drop where the best shot is and shoot their approach shots and continue to do that until they're on the green.

There were going to be 8 of us but one person that said they'd play now cannot.

My questions are:

1) If there are only 7 players, what's the fairest way to do the scramble? Should I put the perceived weakest player with the best player and a middle of the road player on team with only 3 people?

2) For shots into the green, once all the players on a team have shot and if only one gets on the green, do the other players drop and putt from where the person on the green has their shot (presuming the team feels that's the best shot) or are there different rules?

1) Have the best player play the front nine with one group of three, then have him/her play the back nine with the other group of three.

2) You're correct.

The best solution is to find one more player! Failing that, the team with 3 players still gets 4 attempts at each shot. Generally, they'll rotate the 4th shot so that neither the best nor the worst player is taking that shot. And yes, the format continues all the way until the ball is holed. Unless you have complete novices playing, why not just play golf though? A simple stableford game is fun, fair, and allows everyone to compete relatively equally.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The best solution is to find one more player! Failing that, the team with 3 players still gets 4 attempts at each shot. Generally, they'll rotate the 4th shot so that neither the best nor the worst player is taking that shot. And yes, the format continues all the way until the ball is holed. Unless you have complete novices playing, why not just play golf though? A simple stableford game is fun, fair, and allows everyone to compete relatively equally.

Two of the seven people playing have never picked up a golf club and I'm supposed to go this week to range with them to give them some pointers. I'm definitely going to try and find an eighth but ideally I want it to be work people so I haven't decided if I want to bring in a friend that I don't with with to make 8.

Christian

Two of the seven people playing have never picked up a golf club.....

Have you considered bowling for your group activity....? :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Have you considered bowling.....? :-)

Haha, I don't bowl or play darts. For the most part, I play pool, golf, and poker. :)

Christian

Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!