IGNORED

Time to move on?

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I have a nike VR str8-fit driver (from 2010) and was wondering with new drivers out there now if I am leaving distance off the table with what I'm gaming now. I was fit for the str8fit, hit it out there around 240/250 with a very slight draw, its in a stiff ust mamiya made for Nike AvixCore. I have it set on the flat neutral setting. Thanks!

Probably not unless you go with one of the 46 inch drivers or if your swing has changed. You can always take your driver to a golf store and compare it with some demos.

If the driver fits you well, then you probably aren't leaving too much distance, if any, on the table.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have to vote yes. Its time to get a new driver. Some of the offerings out there this year is great. Get an adjustable driver. The lower center of gravity, and thinner faces provide less ball spin.

Some really nice drivers to choose from are:

Callaway Big Bertha - I love the adjustabilty of it with the additional weight  on the back for draw and fade. I just got this and I love it, great looks, performs excellent, low ball spin.

Titleist 913D - Titleist always offers great looking drivers with adjustabilty and they perform great.

Taylormade SLDR - This thing is a bomber, they did some great work with this, and very low ball spin.

If you are hitting that 4 year old Nike 250, I would say you could can an extra 20 yards with these new drivers.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• 2 weeks later...
I would say your not leaving any distance on the table. I would say that the newer drivers are more forgiving on off center hits which for most of us is the case. I was using a R11 until this year and picked up a bombtech grenade. The distance and dispersion on off center hits is much better with my new driver. I highly recommend the bombtech grenade it looks very nice and I have yet to find anyone who cant hit the shit out of it.

If your hitting 240 average? With a slight draw? And landing fairways? Then what's ya problem! Sounds good to me! Work on ya mid irons, Don't be greedy!
  • Upvote 1

Gaz Lee

I am greedy. I'm 6'2" with extremely long arms and I should be hitting 275 on average.

Improve your strength, flexibility, and most importantly, your swing. You will hit the ball further.

As suggested, take your driver to Golf Smith or some place similar, and hit it side by side with a new driver ... its the only way for you to make the most informed decision for yourself. I have done the same after reading reviews on a club ... I go do a comparison ... I am usually very surprised.

Good luck!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

That's what I'm going to do. I do like new stuff, but would also like my old driver to end up with the win so I can spend more on playing golf. I'll update this thread again with my findings.

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!