IGNORED

Project X vs True Temper

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a Project X guy, but I'm wondering if there is a major difference between project x and true temper? I am looking to get a new set and would Ideally like Project X 6.5 shafts, but is there a comparable with True Temper? Do you think either one is much better than the other? Thanks.

Paging @WUTiger

I wouldn't say there is a "major" difference between two shafts. I think TT tend to spin more, maybe launch a little lower. Project X will have a "boardier" feel as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can you explain why you would "ideally" like PX 6.5 shafts?  That's a pretty heavy, stiff-feeling shaft.  The PX 6.5 will have a FCM rating of 7.0 which is stiffer than a TTDG X-stiff.  The weight is about the same (125-130 grams for PX 6.5 and TTDG S-X), but IMO the PX feels heavier because of what most people refer to as the "boardiness" of the shaft.  The TTDG feels dynamic in my hands, whereas the PX feels dull.

Now that's not to say the shaft isn't right for you.  I'm currently hitting the KBS C-Taper which has a very similar, dull feel.  I play it because I like what my ball does.

As a general overview of 4 popular shaft varieties in the heavier, stiffer end of the spectrum:

TTDG.  the lodestar iron shaft.  The TTDG has a dynamic feel and high (near the grip end) flex point.  Produces low-medium trajectory and medium spin.  TTDG is the least stiff of the bunch, with the S coming in at a 5.8 FCM.  The upgrade is the Tour Issue, which is essentially the same shaft, only hard-stepped and frequency matched.  I'm fairly certain this is still the most popular shaft on tour.

PX.  Stepless shaft with a mid flex point.  Designed to deliver a low-mid ball-flight and low spin.  Very stiff in the grip section, which produces the "boardy" feel.  Constant weight and frequency matched.  PX is among the stiffest available steel shafts, with flexes ranging from 5.5 to 7.5 FCM.  (The rifle shaft is commonly confused, because they're both PX and both stepless.  The rifle delivers a slightly higher flight and higher spin, with a softer feel.)

KBS Tour.  Mid-high flight, low spin, stepped shaft.  This shaft has a soft, dynamic feel much like the TTDG, only a higher, flatter trajectory and lower spin.  Also frequency matched.

KBS C-Taper.  Low flight, low spin, stepless shaft.  This shaft has a satin finish, and people who don't know what it is ususally assume it's a composite shaft of some kind.  The C-Taper, like the PX, has a stiff grip section giving it a very heavy, dull feel.  C-Taper is also very stiff, with the S rating 6.2 and the X rating 7.2 FCM.

I've played all of these shafts except for the rifle.  I can promise you that the feel from one shaft to the next is very, very different--particularly between TTDG and PX or C-Taper.  I tend to hit down on the ball very hard and get a lot of spin; I could get insane distance with a TTDG, but would spin them way off line in the wind.  The C-Taper gives me slightly less distance, but better control in the wind.  The KBS Tour had a great feel and great distance and had good control in crosswind, but I couldn't hit the ball low and would lose a ton of distance into the wind.  They're all great shafts, but they do different things.

• Upvote 3

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

... PX.  Stepless shaft with a mid flex point.  Designed to deliver a low-mid ball-flight and low spin.  Very stiff in the grip section, which produces the "boardy" feel.  Constant weight and frequency matched.  PX is among the stiffest available steel shafts, with flexes ranging from 5.5 to 7.5 FCM.  (The rifle shaft is commonly confused, because they're both PX and both stepless.  The rifle delivers a slightly higher flight and higher spin, with a softer feel.) ...

Excellent job by k-troop!

I'll just give a little background on the Project X history to help sort things out. Back in the early 2000s, a company called Royal Precision made both the Rifle and Project X shaft models.

For full details, read this 2006 article by The Wormburner:

http://southerngolfer.blogspot.com/2006/06/differences-between-dg-and-rifle.html

The Rifles were a stepless shaft which had internal rifling, and its fans said it had a smoother feel than the TT Dynamic Golf shafts. Then came the stepless Project X, a more aggressive shaft. At the time, RP' developed its patented Frequency Coefficient Matching (FCM), flex gauging system. A flex comparison.

• the Rifles had an FCM equal to its flex (Rifle 5.0 has FCM = 5.0),
  • the Project X had an FCM which was + 0.5 FCM to its flex. (PX 5.0 has FCM = 5.5, etc.)

The differing flex characteristics have been confusing to golfers.

Early Project X had two models, the PX Rifles, and the PX Rifle Flighted. In addition to what k-troop told us, the PX Rifles (non-flighted):

from http://projectx.shaftfitpro.com/products/project-x/

The PX Rifle Flighted, which I play in my irons, give a little extra launch and loft to the longer irons (I can use a flighted 3i as a driving iron), and prevent the short irons from ballooning. I have the PX RF 5.0 (115 grams), and will swap them out for NS Pro 8950 GH Regular (97 grams and lighter FCM).

The recent PXi and PX95 are lighter versions of the PX iron shafts, and have somewhat different dynamics.

Note: Royal Precision lost a major shipment of shafts when an Asian typhoon sank its delivery ship, and never quite recovered financially. True Temper later acquired the PX and Rifle brands.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Here's a bit more information,

Kim Braly the guy who started KBS shafts started precision shaft corporation with his dad. Which later turned into Royal Precision. There was a big fall out between him and the company and he left. Then in 2007 FTS the company that supplies the material for KBS golf shafts pitched an idea for Braly to start a golf shaft company.

Braly is the guy who created the stepless design steel golf shaft.

As for performance. True Temper (dynamic gold line) will launch lower and spin more. Project X shafts launch a bit higher than True Temper. KBS shafts are much more softer feeling, and generally launch a bit higher than True Temper but spin less.

I prefer KBS shafts. I demoed all three and there is just a big feel difference for me. I like that soft feel I get from the KBS shafts. They also produce a much more boring trajectory. True Temper was much more low launch and the irons would balloon up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thank you everyone! I've been playing 6.0 for years but have been having high left misses. I want to move up to at least a 6.5 and try and keep my misses more on line and have a lower trajectory. I also tend to spin the ball a ton which is really annoying sometimes. I do hit down on the ball hard which produces that. So ideally I want to just have something that'll spin less with a lower trajectory. I like the feel of the PX and am not sure if I will like the TTDG... I guess I will have to just compare them side by side just to make sure. Thanks for all the replys!

Thank you everyone! I've been playing 6.0 for years but have been having high left misses. I want to move up to at least a 6.5 and try and keep my misses more on line and have a lower trajectory. I also tend to spin the ball a ton which is really annoying sometimes. I do hit down on the ball hard which produces that. So ideally I want to just have something that'll spin less with a lower trajectory. I like the feel of the PX and am not sure if I will like the TTDG... I guess I will have to just compare them side by side just to make sure. Thanks for all the replys!

Give the KBS C-Taper a try.  I think you will like it.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!