IGNORED

Personalized Cast Bronze Putter

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello!

I am a metal caster from Kansas City.  This Father's Day, I want to make my dad a personalized putter.  I'm not a golfer myself, and have only ever played one game.  But I stopped by a pro shop today and the gentleman was kind enough to educate me on some putter basics and terminology.  I was hoping I could get some input from this forum regarding design questions.

For simplicity's sake, I've decided to use a blade type such as the Bullseye for a starting point.  I will make a model from wax, cover it in plaster, burn out the wax, and pour in bronze.

Due to limited capabilities, I'm going to use an in-hosel design.  A hole is easier to make than a stem.  I'd be relying on a double-bend shaft to create an offset and also an angle.  I will purchase the shaft.   I plan on making a 5 degree loft on the putter face.  Does this all seem OK?

I'm not sure where the hosel should be along the length of the putter head.  I suppose I could put it nearer the heel, or centered.  I'm also not sure of weight distribution.

Anyways, I appreciate any comments, and I might have more questions as this progresses.  I don't want to give anything away by asking my dad his preferences, so I'm shooting for a design that works for most people, within the given limitations.

Thanks!

Here are some images of Bullseye putters if you need it.

I would also say 4-5 degrees of loft is good.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That sounds like a neat idea!

I've got to ask though......how serious of a golfer is your dad?  Putters, probably more than any other club are extremely personal choices.  If he's a serious golfer, it's likely that a lot of effort, time, and expense has already gone into his putter selection.  I'd hate to see you go through a tremendous effort and have him reluctant to use the result.......or equally, have him feel obligated to use it, knowing that it will likely hurt his golf game.  Just a thought......

Of course, if it's simply meant to be proudly displayed at home, or if he's also a very infrequent golfer, none of that applies.

Regardless, welcome to the site, and please share your progress with us! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks, Mike and David.

He goes golfing a few times a year as far as I know.  If he doesn't end up using it, that's ok, but I'm still striving to make something decent.  Maybe I'll try to casually glean some info from him.

I was able to sneak a look at his clubs today, and he uses an Acushnet Model 16 M.  So, it's a wedge type.

Are there occasions when a golfer might prefer to use a blade over a wedge putter?  Or do most of you stick with one type for all putts?

I was able to sneak a look at his clubs today, and he uses an Acushnet Model 16 M.  So, it's a wedge type.

Are there occasions when a golfer might prefer to use a blade over a wedge putter?  Or do most of you stick with one type for all putts?

How cool is this, if it was for me from my son it would be hung up so everyone could see it and I could say how cool my son was to do this for me.

Way to go, look forward to seeing the final product.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Way cool! Please post a finished picture.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

How cool is this, if it was for me from my son it would be hung up so everyone could see it and I could say how cool my son was to do this for me. Way to go, look forward to seeing the final product.

+1 on this sentiment, well said. That would make any father proud. Wish I could contribute to this project.

I made a mistake on my last post.  I said "wedge" putter when I meant mallet.  And I'm not sure it's even a mallet.  Maybe a large blade.  Very toe-balanced, about a 75 degree lie, slight offset.  I'm leaning towards making a toe-balanced Anser style.

Please, Please, Please post pictures @RyanMark !  What a great idea!

I had my late father in lawss putter from the 1930s refinished for my wife and she loved it.  Your Dad will love this too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!