• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
TJames

My Swing (TJames)

TJames    0

I've been Playing Golf for: Recently 1 year, overall 10+

My current handicap index or average score is: 26

My typical ball flight is: push/fat

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat

you can slow the video down on the setting button on the bottom right of the video to 0.25 normal speed to see my swing better.

Videos:

cipher    390

First of all welcome to the Trap!  I would check out this thread about good golf posture .  From there we will want to stabilize that back swing a bit, but work on the posture, you are a bit too upright and on your heels.  Lots of great stuff around here like this, check it out!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

mdl    126

Like @cipher said, posture is the first thing.  As far as after that, the next step is stabilizing the back swing, as @cipher also said.  In particular, you sway your hips back (left in the video in the face on, FO, view, away from the target along the target line).  That can lead to fat shots.  Post a new video after you fix your posture to get specific advice/links.

Also, as a new member, you might read There's a great community here.  It's fun and you can learn a TON if you stick around.

TJames    0

Just hit the range again today. I noticed the posture thing right away. Ive tried to correct this today. I was hitting shots much better today. I put the ball further away as well. Bent more at the hips. More flat back. I will get a new video uploaded.

TJames    0

cant find the edit button to add more to my post.

I read that posture thread, and from what I gather a rounded upper back is normal and proper? it seemed like the head tilt placement was different among different golfers.

i just need to be bent more over and more on the balls less on the heels.

mdl    126

Yup, some degree of rounding is good.  Varies among good players, but a totally straight or arched back is bad.  Even Adam Scott, a player with one of the straighter backs, has a slight round in his upper back.  And yes, bent over more, weight not too far back in the heels.  General rule of thumb is weight in the middle of the foot, though this isn't hard and fast for all swing types.  With more bend at the waist and weight off the heels, place the ball so the arms hang approximately straight down (so yes, for you the ball will be further away than in the videos).  If there's deviation from that, it should be the ball further away.  You definitely don't want your hands pointing in towards your body!

Also, you might benefit from . You've got the right thumb almost straight down the club shaft.  This isn't incorrect per se, but right thumb pointing more forward is better for most players.

TJames    0

i actually just watched a youtube video on grip and applied it today at the range. very similar to that thread you sent me.

cipher    390
i actually just watched a youtube video on grip and applied it today at the range. very similar to that thread you sent me.

Pretty good overall.  A number of us here would just disagree a bit on what he is saying about the grip pressure.  It should be a good firm grip IMO.  I would say like you are shaking someones hand firmly.  Not so strong it hurts them but not weak either.

TJames    0

Interesting....I was trying between firm and softer. I found softer I could get my wrists to flip back to straighten the club out. To stiff and I was pushing shots because my wrists never came back to square.

I bought "the little red book" and I intend to read it to get some tips. I will post a new video shortly.

mdl    126

Interesting....I was trying between firm and softer. I found softer I could get my wrists to flip back to straighten the club out. To stiff and I was pushing shots because my wrists never came back to square.

I bought "the little red book" and I intend to read it to get some tips. I will post a new video shortly.

I agree with @cipher here.  That's a solid overall intro to a standard neutral grip.  Not all those things are totally set in stone, but that's an excellent place to start from.  But I also disagree with the video's note about the loose grip.  Some good players, and some famous pros, advocate that kind of feel.  So that's an option.  But personally I again agree with @cipher 's description of good grip strength.

Not that we should take much swing advice from Bubba with his unconventional swing, mad talent, and self-taught feels, but a quote from him on the grip is a feel I like.  His advice was that you have to learn to work with the contradiction that you want a good strong grip with your hands and fingers so you can learn to control the club face, but at the same time keep the arms and wrists feeling relatively loose.  That works well for me.  The too stiff pushes could come from a real death grip on the club which is in fact too tight/strong, but for me that comes not from a too strong grip but from translating the strong grip pressure into too stiff wrists and arms.

Again, the exact feel here is personal and there's some range of grip strengths you can play well with.  Just some stuff to think about.

TJames    0

I was hoping harvey penicks book would help on grip, but that chapter didnt help at all. just talked about the three types of grip. and to grip the golf club like you would grip a yard stick.....and I dont own a yard stick lol.