IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just moved to San Antonio a couple months ago. So far I've only played at Alsatian Golf Club in Castroville, and at the Silverhorn Golf Club. They were both pretty nice courses.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

I have yet to break a 100 as of yet, but one thing I noticed last week, is that I play a lot better once I try to be a little more conservative in my play. For example, there was a short par 4, about 300yds. In the past, I would take my driver and try to pound the ball to get as close to the green as possible. This time, I decided to tee off using a 4-iron, and it set up a nice second shot with a wedge. First time in my life I think I hit a fairway and GIR on the same hole. Had about a 16 footer for birdie that came up a bit short, but tapped-in for the par.

Now, I found by making a little tweak in my setup, I am hitting consistent shots for consistent distance, that I can actually hit more fairways and have more control on the golf course over my game. I've flirted with breaking 100 in the past, and have even shot a 41 on the front 9 at one course, but then blew up on the back to finish in the 110s. But now, I feel I have the confidence and a better understanding of my game to hopefully break 100 sometime really soon. (And hopefully record my first birdie). But we will see if I can do it in a couple days when I get back out there soon.

Yeah fritz, sometimes it's as simple as putting the WRONG club away.  That's one area where ego can get you in trouble fast!

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

The good news is I didn't score any doubles today.... 51 at Mosholu Golf Course, a nice short, tight par 32 course in the Bronx. (4 par 3s, 5 par 4s) I opened up with 2 pars (the guys I got paired up with musta thought I was good for a second) then a TON of mishits and shitty putts later I got 2 bogies and FIVE holes triple or worse. The shots I hit well were NICE shots and if I cut down on the mental errors I think I'll be primed for a double digit round soon.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Not a happy camper ... shot 54 today in my league ...had been doing very good the past 3 weeks ... I had two 10's ...

I am happy with my ball flight ... have been working at getting rid of the slice ... not one slice tonight ...  but totally went blank and shanked two drives ... which started the "bad" hole ... the shanks were in places that I did not have much of a playable shot ...

Good news is I had two nice par's

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just got back from playing another round. Was an interesting day. Started out doing pretty decent through 4 holes, and then the 5th and 6th came. Lost 3 balls on each hole, and just picked up after 10 strokes. Managed to close out the front 9 with a bogey, par, and triple-bogey. Had only one ball left in my bag, so after deciding to continue playing (although I was contemplating quitting after hole 6), I went into the clubhouse to buy another box of balls and finish my round. Finished the front 9 with a 58 (+23 over par).

The back nine starts out alright, after a couple errant tee shots, I still managed to save bogey on 10 and 11.

Then the 12th hole comes up, a 170 par-3. I pull a 4-iron, and just want to try to get it on the green. Bullseye!!!!! Landed right in the center pin high about 15 feet away. Now my nerves are shaking (because I have never once had a birdie in my life :( . I see it breaks slightly to the right, and my putting has been terrible at best all day. Took a deep breath, and let it roll....Boom!!!! right into the cup.... I am completely overjoyed to the point I almost throw my putter in the air in celebration of getting my first birdie ever, but I contain myself, and just do a fist pump in the air.

I only have one par the rest of the way and finished the back 9 with a 51 (+15 over par). Could have been better, but my game started to suffer on the last 2 holes with an 8 and a 10. ugh. Finished with a 109. Take away those 3 really bad holes and I probably would of broken 100 for the first time.

So all in all there were a lot of positives to take away from today. Got my first birdie, hit 3 fairways (Usually I am lucky to get 2) and I hit 3 GIRs. Converted one birdie attempt and 2 putted for par on one, and 3 putted for bogey on the other.

Few things I need to work on, is more consistency with my woods and irons (Hit quite a few fat that ended up in the water), and work on my chipping and putting.

But I am very pleased to see that I am making progress, and its leading to better scoring chances.

Then the 12th hole comes up, a 170 par-3. I pull a 4-iron, and just want to try to get it on the green. Bullseye!!!!! Landed right in the center pin high about 15 feet away. Now my nerves are shaking (because I have never once had a birdie in my life :( . I see it breaks slightly to the right, and my putting has been terrible at best all day. Took a deep breath, and let it roll....Boom!!!! right into the cup.... I am completely overjoyed to the point I almost throw my putter in the air in celebration of getting my first birdie ever, but I contain myself, and just do a fist pump in the air.

Awesome!  Getting that first birdie is great isn't it?  I still remember mine though it has been over 10 years ago.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Yeah it is.... I've had a few chances the last year and a half but I always missed the putt by just a bit. I seemed like that ball took forever to get into the hole. Now I just got to add more pars and eliminate the doubles and the triples from my scorecard. Just have to go play again next week ;)

We were putting on wet greens this morning, it's so frustrating. One of the people I was playing with almost threw his putter to the next fairway.

One extra putt every other hole or so really adds up really quickly.

I also made a few three putts. Made a green from 191 yards, but then proceeded to 3 putt from under 14 feet.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just got back from playing another round. Was an interesting day. Started out doing pretty decent through 4 holes, and then the 5th and 6th came. Lost 3 balls on each hole, and just picked up after 10 strokes. Managed to close out the front 9 with a bogey, par, and triple-bogey. Had only one ball left in my bag, so after deciding to continue playing (although I was contemplating quitting after hole 6), I went into the clubhouse to buy another box of balls and finish my round. Finished the front 9 with a 58 (+23 over par).

The back nine starts out alright, after a couple errant tee shots, I still managed to save bogey on 10 and 11.

I only have one par the rest of the way and finished the back 9 with a 51 (+15 over par). Could have been better, but my game started to suffer on the last 2 holes with an 8 and a 10. ugh. Finished with a 109. Take away those 3 really bad holes and I probably would of broken 100 for the first time.

So all in all there were a lot of positives to take away from today. Got my first birdie, hit 3 fairways (Usually I am lucky to get 2) and I hit 3 GIRs. Converted one birdie attempt and 2 putted for par on one, and 3 putted for bogey on the other.

Few things I need to work on, is more consistency with my woods and irons (Hit quite a few fat that ended up in the water), and work on my chipping and putting.

But I am very pleased to see that I am making progress, and its leading to better scoring chances.

HELL YEAH MAN NICE JOB!!  I have managed a few birdies before, but I always...and a mean ALWAYS blow up on the next hole.  My birdies are useless when I follow them up with a snowman LOL

keep up the good work bro

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

I had a couple holes like that today as well. My putting had a lot of 3-putts on the front, but then had a few 1-putts on the back, which helped.

Shot a 51 over nine. One lost ball in tall grass and I gave my self a penalty stroke for having to move the ball from a landscaped area. Outside of that all my extra strokes were from around the green.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Shot a 51 over nine. One lost ball in tall grass and I gave my self a penalty stroke for having to move the ball from a landscaped area. Outside of that all my extra strokes were from around the green.

Hey man you are chipping away at it ... :-D

I am struggling ... and I meaning struggling ... with the driver ... very disappointed with it ... and a 3 wood does not seem to help ... I just suck with a long club ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Most of my extra shots are around the green. I know what I need to be working on. Just need to find the right drills now.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

113.....ugh Im going backwards. 38 putts which is decent for me but it felt like I wasted alot of potential up and down opportunities. was stickimg it to within 10-15 feet from within 100 yds (after 2-3 previous shots grrr) but no 1 putts. No GIR and 7 penalty strokes. I figured out how to relax on my long shots on Monday and just needed to work on short game. Short game was fine but I hit too many balls into the water/woods. It seems like I can NEVER get all phases working on the same day but have shown the ability to: Hit more than 50 percent greens 230 yds out Hit decently with long clubs on the fairway Get down in 3 from 100 and in Gotta get it together

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

113.....ugh Im going backwards. 38 putts which is decent for me but it felt like I wasted alot of potential up and down opportunities. was stickimg it to within 10-15 feet from within 100 yds (after 2-3 previous shots grrr) but no 1 putts. No GIR and 7 penalty strokes. I figured out how to relax on my long shots on Monday and just needed to work on short game. Short game was fine but I hit too many balls into the water/woods. It seems like I can NEVER get all phases working on the same day but have shown the ability to: Hit more than 50 percent greens 230 yds out Hit decently with long clubs on the fairway Get down in 3 from 100 and in Gotta get it together

The good thing is you have the first step done. You have the different skills to play the game.... now just getting them together on a consistent basis. your close man.

Forgive me, but is this thread about breaking 100 once or routinely breaking 100?

For me it is going to be where shooting below 100 is the norm. You better believe I am going to celebrate when I hit 99 but I plan on keeping up with everyone here until it am a lot more consistent.

For me it is going to be where shooting below 100 is the norm. You better believe I am going to celebrate when I hit 99 but I plan on keeping up with everyone here until it am a lot more consistent.

Ahh, ok.

I broke 100 twice last year and on Friday I shot a 52 on the front and felt confident that I'd get close to breaking 100.

Then I had 5 of the 7 my penalty strokes on the back and blew it up for an overall score of 113.  Not one of my finer moments but I'm still confident this year I'll break 100 again like I did last year.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!