IGNORED

My Swing (krupa)

krupa
Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, krupa said:

No, I don't know any drills and honestly never thought to record slow, short swings.

:-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

:-D

Thanks.  I've seen that thread before but when I get to the range I forget all about it.  Also, I'm not really sure what a priority piece should be.  (I should mention that I just uploaded my first videos to Evolvr.)   I will work on slow, specific practice (steady head and weight forward until/unless I hear otherwise)  this week.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Working on slower swings.  I have done this two ways.  The first (not recorded) is with a 52 deg. wedge and a real ball.  If/when I swing at the ball, I stop just after impact; anything more and the ball will leave the yard.  Here, I am using wiffle balls which I don't really like very much but it's what I have to work with if I'm not at the range.

Initial impressions of practicing slowly and then recording it:

1.  I think I need to slow down even more.

2.  The video drives home that feel isn't real.  Without video, I really thought I was exaggerating "weight forward"  but in the video I'm not nearly as far forward as I thought I was. 

(due to poor camera angle, the ball looks farther back in my stance than it really is.)

9 hours ago, krupa said:

Working on slower swings.  I have done this two ways.  The first (not recorded) is with a 52 deg. wedge and a real ball.  If/when I swing at the ball, I stop just after impact; anything more and the ball will leave the yard.  Here, I am using wiffle balls which I don't really like very much but it's what I have to work with if I'm not at the range.

Initial impressions of practicing slowly and then recording it:

1.  I think I need to slow down even more.

2.  The video drives home that feel isn't real.  Without video, I really thought I was exaggerating "weight forward"  but in the video I'm not nearly as far forward as I thought I was. 

(due to poor camera angle, the ball looks farther back in my stance than it really is.)

When mapping the positions, focus on keeping steady head and centering your turn. Sometimes when I am thinking about one piece, I get sloppy. You can also hit from different points of the mapping. Example: Go to A4, stop, A6, stop, then pull back ever so slightly and swing. You don't have to go back to A4.

Another example: You can also go from A1 to A6, slowly, then stop, then hit. It depends on what your priority piece is.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

When mapping the positions, focus on keeping steady head and centering your turn. Sometimes when I am thinking about one piece, I get sloppy. You can also hit from different points of the mapping. Example: Go to A4, stop, A6, stop, then pull back ever so slightly and swing. You don't have to go back to A4.

Another example: You can also go from A1 to A6, slowly, then stop, then hit. It depends on what your priority piece is.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.  I don't know what those positions are, is there a thread that explains them?

Just now, krupa said:

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.  I don't know what those positions are, is there a thread that explains them?

A1: Address
A2: Club shaft parallel to the ground on the takeaway
A3: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the takeaway
A4: Top of backswing
A5: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the downswing
A6: Club shaft parallel to ground on the downswing
A7: Impact
A8: Club shaft parallel to ground on follow-through.
A9: Right arm parallel to ground on follow-through.

A10: Finish

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, krupa said:

Plus you can just hover over them and you'll get the definition.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%208.24.0

(I was hovering over A5 there, but the arrow pointer doesn't appear in screenshots.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Plus you can just hover over them and you'll get the definition.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%208.24.0

(I was hovering over A5 there, but the arrow pointer doesn't appear in screenshots.)

Thanks, I didn't notice that.  The underlining (even though it's dotted) made me think it was a link so I tried clicking on it which kept the mouse-over from appearing.  

• 1 year later...

At the start of this season my plan had been to not worry so much about improving and just enjoy my time at the course.  When I practice, I tend to get unrealistic expectations and so when I don't see instant results I get frustrated.  By the end of last season I was pretty miserable on the course.

However, I feel like I've been hitting the ball better and have been working on hitting my driver again.  A chance comment by the club-fitter at Dick's pointed out a problem with my setup.  Not to say that my setup is perfect now but it's better than what it was.  So here are some videos I took this morning at the range of me with a 4-iron and driver.

I'd love some feedback because apart from working on not slicing the driver (it's getting better... slowly) I don't know what to work on.

Thanks!

Technical Difficulties:  When I took the videos, my cellphone wouldn't play them back so I couldn't see if it was lined up correctly.  Because storm clouds were approaching I decided to take my luck with what I recorded.  And so, both views are too close to the camera (alternately the camera was angled-up too much) and the caddie view is centered a little too far forward.

• Administrator

I suspect your handicap should come down here this year…

And though it seems like a waste, record videos horizontally. My suggestion. I've never loved vertical videos.

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

I suspect your handicap should come down here this year…

And though it seems like a waste, record videos horizontally. My suggestion. I've never loved vertical videos.

Thanks!  I don't really know why I did them vertically, I actually hate it and these just reinforce that opinion.  Next time will be horizontal.

• 1 month later...

Still dancing between wanting to practice and improve and just go out and play.  So I went to the driving range today and recorded my swing.  My big problem this summer has been getting off the tee.  If I can get on or close to the fairway, I'm all right my irons.  So here are some unedited videos of 5 iron and 3 wood.  once I started thinking about a slow backswing I was hitting the 3 wood pretty well.  When I got home and looked at the video, I was surprised at how fast the backswing still was.

My "miss" these days is everything.  On the first tee, I hit a duck hook.  on the second a big 'ole slice.  On the third, I'll set up for the slice and hit a laser straight into a tree.  You get the idea and why I have decided to make a couple trips to the range every week for the rest of the season.

(And yes, the lines/angles aren't great. I can barely see my phone's screen in the sun.)

• Administrator

What are you working on?

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

What are you working on?

High-level:  My shots off the tee, my shots are all over the place. 

I think my problem is in some fundamentals, especially my grip.  My grip, especially with the 3-wood and driver, is wonky.  On a practice swing it feels fine, when I set up to the ball and do the backswing something is off.  I don't know how to describe it; I don't know if it's just a bad backswing or my grip is in a different position or is lighter or tighter but at the top of my backswing the club doesn't feel right in my hands.  I have, on occasion, even hurt my left thumb trying to swing these long clubs.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, krupa said:

High-level:  My shots off the tee, my shots are all over the place.

Right, see, that there is the problem. That's not specific at all, and while it's fine to post videos of full swings to re-assess, you don't seem to be working on any specific thing in this video.

9 minutes ago, krupa said:

I think my problem is in some fundamentals, especially my grip.  My grip, especially with the 3-wood and driver, is wonky.  On a practice swing it feels fine, when I set up to the ball and do the backswing something is off.  I don't know how to describe it; I don't know if it's just a bad backswing or my grip is in a different position or is lighter or tighter but at the top of my backswing the club doesn't feel right in my hands.  I have, on occasion, even hurt my left thumb trying to swing these long clubs.

Have you looked at your pivot instead? You're using your arms. You're not turning your hips and thus your torso or your shoulders as much as you're capable of doing, and all of that can affect where the arms and elbows go, which can affect the grip.

Work on something specific.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Have you looked at your pivot instead? You're using your arms. You're not turning your hips and thus your torso or your shoulders as much as you're capable of doing, and all of that can affect where the arms and elbows go, which can affect the grip.

I have not, but I will now.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Work on something specific.

And film from the proper angles. :-)

Post video, then, of you working on that thing with the 5S of effective practice.

Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!