IGNORED

My Swing (Brian W)

Brian W
Note: This thread is 2784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is my swing for today.  I had some other swings but the person filming me didn't do a fantastic job so I just kept this one.  I was working on the central pivot and I got some very good results.  This video was taken after about 70 balls and it was hot so I think I was getting tired but I felt my swing was much better than the previous videos.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54540/a-centered-pivot

I am going to keep posting these swings with what I am working on to help myself and hopefully get some feedback from other members.  I hope its okay that I use this thread as a sort of swing log

I am told my LSW book has arrived so I will see if this swing change and the book help my game this weekend

That's what most of us use it for. Heck, I'm just rambling on mostly in mine. ;-)

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Here is a couple swings that I did before my lesson.  My game sure has come a long way in the past 2 years since my first video but seems like there is still a lot to clean up.

• Administrator

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

I am not sure I understand the Wall Drill.  I see the center going straight and mine going to the back foot is different than the center being pointed at the front foot but I am missing how to do the actual drill.  Is this just to get into the habit of turning hips more than is comfortable with me and my lack of flex?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Brian W said:

I am not sure I understand the Wall Drill.  I see the center going straight and mine going to the back foot is different than the center being pointed at the front foot but I am missing how to do the actual drill.  Is this just to get into the habit of turning hips more than is comfortable with me and my lack of flex?

Your hips sway back (away from the target) during the backswing, which reverses your secondary axis tilt (right picture) to be toward the target instead of slightly away.

You look too much like the guy on the left, and should do the wall drill so you can look more like the guy on the right:

02 SLOW DOWN DUMMY.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your hips sway back (away from the target) during the backswing, which reverses your secondary axis tilt (right picture) to be toward the target instead of slightly away.

You look too much like the guy on the left, and should do the wall drill so you can look more like the guy on the right:

02 SLOW DOWN DUMMY.jpg

I think that I understand and it would actually go with what my instructor on my other thread was saying (minus the head movement).  Doing this alone would be better with a video camera yes? 

On 7/12/2016 at 6:26 PM, Brian W said:

I think that I understand and it would actually go with what my instructor on my other thread was saying (minus the head movement).  Doing this alone would be better with a video camera yes? 

I use a mirror/dry erase marker to check my head/hip movement when I practice my takeaway in the house.  Setup the mirror, address the ball and draw a box around your head and make the same lines from the image above down your waist/legs.  Then you can practice your swing, pause and look at the mirror to see how you did.

I personally prefer the mirror, because I can address the ball and ignore the mirror until I have completed the motion and then I can look up to see how I did.  It is also much easier if you have someone who can make the marks on the mirror for you, but not absolutely necessary.

Nike: Covert 2.0 Irons (R), Covert 2.0 3h (R), X3X 56* & 60* wedges, Method putter

Cobra: Bio Cell 4/5h (R), Bio CellDriver (S)

GolfPad GPS Dashboard

3 hours ago, Lloyd Martinez said:

I use a mirror/dry erase marker to check my head/hip movement when I practice my takeaway in the house.  Setup the mirror, address the ball and draw a box around your head and make the same lines from the image above down your waist/legs.  Then you can practice your swing, pause and look at the mirror to see how you did.

I personally prefer the mirror, because I can address the ball and ignore the mirror until I have completed the motion and then I can look up to see how I did.  It is also much easier if you have someone who can make the marks on the mirror for you, but not absolutely necessary.

great idea with the dry erase marker.  i will give that a shot

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Here are 3 more videos of my swing.  Obviously making a big change is putting some inconsistency in the swing but my lessons seem like they are paying off.  I still have some concerns with what he is teaching but I cannot argue with results.  I have moved (in feeling) my weight a little more on my back foot as I was putting too much weight forward at address.  I have also started putting my hands a hair forward at address.  After playing a few rounds like this, I have noticed that I am hitting the ball further than I ever have before.  I flew the greens on a lot of shots while I am getting used to some new distances but my draw is very much controlled and I am hitting a lot more GIR.

Edited by Brian W

• 1 month later...

I am going to get back to using this thread for some notes based on the 5 minute challenge.  Did some range time today and concentrated on a few things I am going to note here. 

Driver - same setup as before but I "feel" like I am moving a hair back during the backswing and it straightened out my ball flight

Irons - Grip noticing feel on right hand ring finger / shoulders back / right shoulder down a bit / slight movement forward before backswing / make a circle feeling closer to the body

Wedges - half shot keep feet closer together and make sure to put the ball closer to the tip of the wedge to help prevent shanks.  Use the circle feeling as with the irons above but do not go back for full swing 

50 - full swing, half swing

55 - full swing, half swing, hinge and hold

60 - half swing, hinge and hold 

Note: This thread is 2784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!