IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

More drill work yesterday. The backswing is improving but still could be better, longer and a bit slower. I’m trying to be less out at A2 and have the same cup in my wrist at A4 I had at address. I’m exaggerating the height a bit to keep it high during a full swing.

The next drill is trying to get the feel of landing soft on the left knee as it moves toward the target then snapping straight and pushing my left hip back to create speed. I’m doing okay here, but my hips could be more forward at A9 and I should keep the primary axis tilt a bit longer (staying down). The DTL view shows I’m steepening a bit during the pump too, so I need to be careful of that.

The combo drill brings both together. But I notice that my left knee is not quite doing the same snap and my hands are starting to turn over even though it feels the same. Feel ain’t real. These will be my drills for a while.

• Upvote 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back to swinging again. I actually played yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks or so. Swung at 70% without pain. Played pretty well too. I filmed my swing today to see if there were any change

Today’s swings. Focused on set up again. The backswing looks a bit flat to me, but it may just be shorter. I strengthened my grip a bit too, which seems to have helped Key 3 a bit.

Working on club face control with my driver for my latest Evolvr lesson. With the changes we've made flattening the swing at A5, I have had trouble with leaving the face open with the driver. It hasn'

Posted Images

Not sure if this is needed, so disregard if so, but I was wondering if you are staying a bit back with that drill?

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Maybe a bit more upper center forward would clean up contact a bit and get your weight over to that front foot more. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure if this is needed, so disregard if so, but I was wondering if you are staying a bit back with that drill?

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Maybe a bit more upper center forward would clean up contact a bit and get your weight over to that front foot more. 

Exactly! Chest and hips need to be more forward here.

(edited)

This is purely my own thought process.. so take it with a spoonful of salt.. lol. 

I think the mini pump drill you are doing from A4 to A5 with the very active right wrist extension is doing a bit too much with hands too early in the downswing. IMO it makes for a handsy impact, which makes you hang back a bit at impact. 

I think the pump drill should lead with your right elbow instead of your right wrist from A4 down. It will be good feel for you to lead a tad more with your lower body into and through impact. 

Of course, I am guilty of this myself.. so just sharing.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator

Scott kinda has two drills right now. The downswing one is:

• Get to A6 and stop, but make sure he's over his left ankle.
  • Small pump.
  • EXPLODE the left knee to kick the hip up and back/around while making everything rotate HARD from there.

The left knee delivers the arms to the ball because the hips rotate, so the chest rotates, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Yesterday I worked in my two pieces. First, the backswing. Here I am reaching back a bit more at the top with 6 iron and driver. Put audio on mute. My neighbor was power washing at the time. I work on my flexibility as well when I workout and stretch. I want to get higher.

Below are screenshots of my A9 positions from the punch drill and then full swing. My hips need to be higher and more forward, but it is improving. The full swing didn’t feel as good, but looked similar. My hands need to turnover less in both.

65CD5D9E-C219-468B-BA02-F0DE85E0D3D1.jpeg

966F48D2-86F0-43E6-BD09-9957B59E5761.jpeg
Driver I’m hanging back a bit and need to be more forward.  My hands are turning over more in the full as well.

CEA5D514-4ABC-479B-8995-6786BD41C5AD.jpeg
3D774EB7-32E2-471A-9869-5DFA42BE51F6.jpeg

• Administrator

It’s not super important to get your weight forward with the driver, but two things:

• Left knee needs to do more. But your hips have to be forward for it to push the hips “up” and “open” instead of “back” and “open” (with the driver, “back” is okay).
  • What are you looking at down on the ground? 🙂
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iacas said:

It’s not super important to get your weight forward with the driver, but two things:

• Left knee needs to do more. But your hips have to be forward for it to push the hips “up” and “open” instead of “back” and “open” (with the driver, “back” is okay).
  • What are you looking at down on the ground? 🙂
  • So let the hips slide more forward from A4 to A6 then? I’m having trouble feeling the left knee do it’s job. We talked about how it may be a bad habit from before my knee surgeries. I’ll keep at it and rehearse the hip going more forward as I land on my left knee.
  • Got it!🙂

More work on the two priority pieces today. I’m starting each session with backswing drills to make it higher and longer. I still think I go too fast even though it feels slow. But I do think it is getting higher.

I progress to the punch drills. These are getting better, but I need to be more forward and snap the left knee faster. It is taking some work to correct this bad habit I may have picked up from my left knee issues. I also am having trouble stopping it at A8-9 and my wrists are turning over with the irons. 

In the combo drill, I am trying to feel the fast snap of the left leg. The face on view shows my hands turning over too much.

The full is improving marginally, but the hand turnover is going to cause some overdraws.

I did the same drill with the driver. Oddly, the driver full swing shows less hand turnover. The head is still too far out at A2. My hand are getting higher at A4.

Still a work in progress.

On the course, I am starting to trust my set up of feet aimed left, face aimed right. Last round, the first couple of drives were left, but then I had 8/10 fairways hit after that including the tight 18th. My par 3s weren’t good though and I need to open the face up more with irons and woods off the tee.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3067775

• Like 1

More work on my pieces the last couple of days. I really focused on backswing tempo and slowing it down. Started with a three count feel, then the next day went to a four count. Still needs to be better.

Started with 6 iron chips to try and get the feel down of my left knee driving the hip back. It seems okay here but the arms are still doing too much.

Then to full swing with the three count backswing, still too fast. I still haven’t got the left knee to do it’s job here. I kept the backswing regular speed in the video below to show the tempo. 

Next day did the same chips then the punch drill. This has improved a bit I think, but still needs work.

Backswing feels better with a four count, but the left knee reverts a bit and the hands turnover in the full swing below.

Changing the picture is going to take more work here.

• 2 weeks later...

More work on my priority pieces. The only add was to work with the feel of starting to shift left before the arms start down. Played with this feel today and it helped. I’m still doing the drills before I film the full swing. I feel like my hips are a bit more forward, but the left leg is still not doing enough.

Same with driver.

• Like 1

Worked on the feel of getting my left leg to do more. I want to feel the snap of the left knee straightening and pushing my left hips back. Here are a 6 iron and driver swing with rehearsal.

Also worked on partial wedges trying to get launch down to around 30 degrees.

• Like 1