IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I'm saying the ball starting a bit left can be a good thing, especially if it's not because the head tips out.

Thanks. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday’s work. Went back to just using the feel of flattening at transition and swinging down from the top. The palmar flexion feel from A5.5 on seems harder to control. The videos showed me going OTT with the driver and at the range, I was having trouble with Key 5, club face control. I will keep trying it, but for now I need to nail down this part.

With 6 iron, I like my position now at A2 and I am actively trying to get the hands higher and a little less deep. If I go too deep, I seem to swing out more from the top. This swing was after a few repeats of backswing position work focusing on high hands and the transition feel. The drill I do is similar to what @iacas did in his My Swing thread and was helpful for me. It showed me how to practice the feel. Thanks!

A2 looks pretty good here. I rehearse going from here to high hands at A4.

5ABFC6E9-9227-4703-AA29-0E8ABFCC7D25.jpeg

A4 I could be a tad higher here.

5213DCA4-CC20-4F49-AA09-0C350E9EB7E6.jpeg

A5 looks okay but maybe a little steep still.

5043F86A-8DDD-4342-9578-414BE09B6EEA.jpeg

A6 looks good. Ball flight with irons has been slight push to push draw with face angle slightly open at setup.

4A26144B-5E01-4C47-8AD9-B157DC1EDC1B.jpeg

My hips are open at A7 but I have EE a inch or two.

272B0BCE-15D5-4F9B-B799-5E9E129875E7.jpeg

For driver, I used the same rehearsal and feels. I like to feel the head drop down behind me in transition. In some rehearsals, I exaggerate this feel. But I have to be careful because it can cause  me to get to flat I the backswing.

A2 looks better and less out.

6FDA96C6-7614-425F-9F1F-36996A8D23B2.jpeg

A4 could be a bit higher.

C6DC5427-0C21-4096-9ADD-0497F2B6025A.jpeg

A5 looks similar to the 6 irons swing.

13D10681-4295-4048-8F88-15A21C62C8EF.jpeg

A6 looks better. I am setting up with an open face, a bit more than with the irons. This produces a push draw to a push fade. I can live with that because it eliminates the left side of the course. Driver seems harder to control. It is open here.

CA85FB7A-6BB6-4FFE-90E0-B8546D812403.jpeg

Impact looks okay with open hips but I have extended in a bit again. 
968C67A1-3619-4459-BFDA-7A670711E752.jpeg

Again, my objective is to shrink my shots zones. I can play fade with driver and draw with irons if that is what suits my swing. If this transition feel helps control the face better, I will stick with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The videos showed me going OTT with the driver and at the range, I was having trouble with Key 5, club face control. I will keep trying it, but for now I need to nail down this part.

When you're out here we'll consider whether you should continue to try to stick with a draw pattern or switch over to a fade. It may just be easier for you to turn and burn given the work you've put in the past few years.

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

With 6 iron, I like my position now at A2 and I am actively trying to get the hands higher and a little less deep. If I go too deep, I seem to swing out more from the top.

Yes. Too deep tends to result in OTT a little bit.

25 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

A4 I could be a tad higher here.

Could hinge the wrists a bit more perhaps.

It's re-iterating two things (not adding new things), but here goes:

• Throw your hands out WIDE from the top, as this can help make you turn through more.
  • Extend that left leg early. It stays flexed a loooooong time.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Could hinge the wrists a bit more perhaps.

Would cupping a bit more help that? I don’t feel like I’m restricting the hinge at the top, but maybe I am.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's re-iterating two things (not adding new things), but here goes:

• Throw your hands out WIDE from the top, as this can help make you turn through more.
  • Extend that left leg early. It stays flexed a loooooong time.

Got it! 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Would cupping a bit more help that? I don’t feel like I’m restricting the hinge at the top, but maybe I am.

Wouldn't hurt it for sure. Just so long as the face doesn't open too much of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First real work since I hurt my right knee last Wednesday. The swings felt a little off balance but actually looked okay. I worked a bit on feeling more hinge at the top and swinging wide from the top. I was raining a little when I was doing the drills, but it stopped so I filmed a few more swings. At setup, I also get the weight over the balls of my feet.

I feel like I have a longer backswing with higher hands too. Rain was imminent so I didn’t do face on. I also feel like I’m extending the left leg early, but it stays bent. Not sure if that’s from previous injuries or not. I’ll keep working on it.

6 iron

Driver 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Those look good.

What did your Mevo+ say for the path, face, etc.?

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Those look good.

What did your Mevo+ say for the path, face, etc.?

I didn’t use the MEVO today. It was raining and I just had a few minutes to film some swings.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I didn’t use the MEVO today. It was raining and I just had a few minutes to film some swings.

Okay.

I worked a bit on my start line today. I got some odd MEVO Plus launch numbers yesterday, low launch angle 7-10 degrees. So today I added a line on my net to focus on a more realistic start line. The yellow string is just outside my aim point. In this video below, I am focused on my priority pieces but also on the diagonal swing path and face at impact. The swing looks pretty good and is in line to what I do on the course, set up with my feet left, open the face and launch a push to the right.

But then I did a MEVO session, or two and got the low launch numbers again. I am baffled because at the range, my launch numbers tend to be too high.

So using geometry, I should be able to calculate launch angle. In the photo below, ball is impacting the net here 26” above the tee height. The tee is 1.5” above the mat and the mat + stand is 4” above the driveway. The ball hit the net at 32 above the driveway and the base of the platform and driveway are at the same height. So 32- 4 - 1.5 = 26.5. So lets say 26. The tee is 76 inches from the net.

The angle at which the ball impacts the net is then X, where Tan X = 26/76, opposite/adjacent. Therefor the Inverse tan of 26/76 should give us the angle it hit the net, 18.9 degrees. So geometry is tell me that my launch angle is ~ 18 degrees, but the MEVO is say 8-10. My MEVO is set up 9 feet from the tee and the tee is 9 feet from the net. All this is all within the parameters for short indoor setup.

Now I know I took geometry 48 years ago, but it hasn’t changed. What am I missing? Is the MEVO Plus just having trouble with my set up? I’m using the Titleist RCT ProV1 balls too. It seems to get my iron numbers down fine and consistent with range numbers.

C8CECB68-28C2-4F30-8E87-7583E5BA9CFB.jpeg

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I am baffled because at the range, my launch numbers tend to be too high.

Range balls, Scott.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Range balls, Scott.

They’re not launching 10 degrees higher. This is with good balls too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

They’re not launching 10 degrees higher. This is with good balls too.

I’m just saying don’t use your range launch numbers as a baseline.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Do you have the tee height set up properly? Did you make sure that you're set for "short indoor" mode? Sometimes firmware updates reset these modes.

Also…

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The tee is 76 inches from the net.

… and the tee is 9 feet from the net.

These do not match.

tan-1(26/108) = 13.5°.

Just now, iacas said:

Do you have the tee height set up properly? Did you make sure that you're set for "short indoor" mode? Sometimes firmware updates reset these modes.

I checked the radar setup each time. Short indoor, distance to ball and MEVO height below mat. Should change it to match the ball on the tee? When I do target alignment, I match it to the ball on the mat for irons.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also…

These do not match.

tan-1(26/108) = 13.5°.

The MEVO set up is not the same as my video setup. I’m closer to the net for video. I move the platform back for MEVO.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Swings from today. Focused on the same feels but added more emphasis on getting the club head to go down then out from the top and get a more diagonal swing path into the ball, Key 4.

At the range, I worked on hitting push fades with all clubs to see how that would work.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been working on flow feels the last couple of days. On the course, I feel like I’m rushing the down swing a bit. So I rehearse the flow feel of hips going forward a bit before the downswing starts. Here’s a driver swing. I’m rehearsing the transition here.

and here’s a 6 iron swing. I got these in before the rain came. The camera is not quite vertical here as I was in a rush to set up before the rain.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Remember it's more the lead knee gaining a little flex and the left hip doing the same (so they lower a bit), rather than just kinda rotating "out" a bit.