IGNORED

My home course slope and rating

teeitup22
Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a course about 30 minutes from my house that's rated at 75.5 from the tournament tees, but the longest they usually put out are the 74.3 rated Black tees. Still a long and difficult course regardless, with a slope of 140.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which one is it? Sounds like one that I should visit if I ever get good at this game!

Oak Hill CC. Have had the chance to play there several times through my friend, and my other friend's father. It was humbling!

Par is based on yardage, or at least used to be. under 275 yards is a par 3, under 475 is a par 4. Above is a par 5. I know there are monster holes that are par 7, but I don't know the rules for those. Maybe they are just what the designer thinks they should be. Professional tournaments will break these rules. Usually, a 276 yard par 4 will not produce the same scores as a 474 yard par 4. The rating will be based on the scores recorded on a hole.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Par is based on yardage, or at least used to be. under 275 yards is a par 3, under 475 is a par 4. Above is a par 5. I know there are monster holes that are par 7, but I don't know the rules for those. Maybe they are just what the designer thinks they should be. Professional tournaments will break these rules.

Usually, a 276 yard par 4 will not produce the same scores as a 474 yard par 4. The rating will be based on the scores recorded on a hole.

I know this used to be true but either the USGA chgd it or some clubs don't adhere to it.   First 3 holes the other day were all Par 4's  492, 479, and 483

Course rating is based on the score a scratch player should average when playing the course.  It is heavily weighted on the effective playing length, because the scratch player's accuracy will help him avoid many of the obstacles.

The Slope rating is based on the difficulty that a bogey golfer would have overcoming the obstacles that the course places in his way.  Effective playing length is also a consideration in this number, but usually carries less weight than other difficulty factors.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I know this used to be true but either the USGA chgd it or some clubs don't adhere to it.   First 3 holes the other day were all Par 4's  492, 479, and 483

These are the yardages for the course you play? I've never played a course that violated the 275 / 475 rule. I guess balls and equipment are changing the rules.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

These are the yardages for the course you play? I've never played a course that violated the 275 / 475 rule. I guess balls and equipment are changing the rules.

Yes. TPC Craig Ranch. It's 7438. Par 71. Several pros use this site as their home course. I've seen Tyrone Awegen (sp?) and KJ Choi out there recently. I have never played a course with a par 3 over 245 to my recollection . We're playin tmrw but from 1 up which is 7000 so I get a breather

The Wissahickon course at the Philadelphia Cricket Club has a few par 4s close to/greater than 500 yards.

http://www.philacricket.com/files/Wissahickon%20Course%20Reduced.pdf

-Rich

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!