Advertisement
Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charliek98

New grip, help fixing a problem

4 posts in this topic

Hey, I recently mad a change in my grip. I took a lesson and found it was too strong making My face closed throughout the swing. Now my irons are much more consistant, but my driver is not. Before I had a push, but not a slice. Now my shots are half slice half push with my driver. I've been working on not swinging inside which I thought would help, but I don't know what else to work on to get my tee shots straight/draw again

Hey, I recently mad a change in my grip. I took a lesson and found it was too strong making My face closed throughout the swing. Now my irons are much more consistant, but my driver is not. Before I had a push, but not a slice. Now my shots are half slice half push with my driver. I've been working on not swinging inside which I thought would help, but I don't know what else to work on to get my tee shots straight/draw again

I took a lesson with a new instructor who thought my grip was way too strong and had me adjust it.  He said the normal miss after making such a grip change would be to slice more, especially with longer clubs like the driver.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been working on not swinging inside which I thought would help, but I don't know what else to work on to get my tee shots straight/draw again

Welcome to the site. I would recommend posting a video in the Member Swings forum and taking a look at Key #2 drills. Having the weight far enough forward plays an important role in the direction of the swing path.

Same grip thing for me. What I found was, going to a weaker grip made me sync up better with my driver. I normally hit baby draws with my irons, but the driver was either blocked, or a semi slice, so, I made a few swings in a mirror (my range has mirrors) come to find out, my arm were getting way ahead of my body. So the nest swing, made a good shoulder and hip turn, kept my head down, and tried to rotate through the shot...guess what..? Ball flew higher than usual, and it went straight, so I hit a few more, same deal, 2 flew lower, but I know why. Also, I gained more distance, w/o swinging much harder.

Syncing up is really important. I find that if I start swinging to hard, my swing goes to hell, when I slow down, and get in sync, I hit much better and further.